Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Diapers as burp cloths?

Diapers as burp cloths?

I wanted to make some for a newborn and was wondering what would be a good brand to use. I have heard several different opinions.
    Thanks,
    Kirsten

I don't know the brand but the best are the pre folded thick ones. I have two newborn grands and that is all we use for burps and drips. Some are embroidered and look nice for church and being out and about.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Birdseye flannel makes great diapers and burp cloths
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I can't find the prefolded, all they have in Target around here is those big single fold one.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    ha, i have some decades old very thin ones i use for dust cloths. can't believe they were even good for diapers.

Has anyone tried the ones from Walmart?
    K
    I try and be as good of a human as my dogs think I am.

I use the prefolded cloth diapers from walmart...love them! Fat quarters are perfect, as long as they are not a directional print. I have been gifting sets of these burp cloths for a few years, and the moms tell me they hold up very well. Have fun! (I tried some from babiesrus, and they were too thin and stretchy)

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I can't find the prefolded, all they have in Target around here is those big single fold one.
    Walmart sells the pre-folded. I bought some and made a couple of different kinds of burpies for my daughters.

Amazon has the prefold I have amazon prime 2 day shipping was free and try target online too
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

toys r us/babies r us also have them online. delivery was prompt, and that's pretty much all we use under chins, wiping faces, etc. i used them with my kids, and now it's another generation diapers as "weapon of choice" in the feeding and burping business.
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

Still using the ones from my grandson. He will be 25 in Sept!!!!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

For burp cloths i don't think you'd want the prefolded. I made a bunch for my DDIL - just bought a regular 12 pack of diapers - then added different colorful flannel binding around each one. Flannel receiving blankets were on sale at the time same store - so bought a pack and cut those up for the binding.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

We like the pre folded the best. They are thicker and just the right size for a shoulder. The pre folds we use are the same thickness through the whole diaper, not just in the middle with thin pieces on each side. My DD said she thinks they are Green Mountain brand. I sewed four regular thin single fold diaper together to make one big diaper for light wraps for baby in the car seat. It's just enough to keep the chill of the AC off the baby.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Pre-fold cloth diapers

I have ordered pre-fold diapers from e-bay. I always order DSQ (Diaper Service Quality) and have been very happy with the thick (old fashioned kind of diaper). They are similar to the diapers that I used when my older and younger children wore cloth diapers. They are great burp cloths and then great rags (if I can hide them from my DH--who uses them in the garage---GRRR!).

Name:  Burp & Bib K.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  124.0 KB

I use pre-folded all the time.

Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Name:  DSCF5711.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  102.9 KB

I didn't put any additional fabric on these and they were fine too.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Blog Entries
    moonie....love your burpies. those are the ones I'm looking for. Not in a rush as i don't know anyone having a baby asof now. will need them for the future.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I make burp cloths out of two layers of cute flannel, in an hourglass shape. I sew the two layers wrong sides together, sew a line across the "waist" of the hourglass to keep the layers from shifting. Then, I clip the seam allowance every 1/4 to 1/2", and that is all there is. Very cute and absorbent, and the babies love the soft feel of the flannel. Carolyn

I used the WalMart prefolded ones. They were not as good as the ones I used for my children who are no adults but it was okay. I stitched ribbons down the center seams (on both sides of the padding) just for decorations. I washed the diapers first. I as amazed at how much they shrank

I made some for my daughter when she was expecting. I used the pre-folded diapers. I also used some really nice kitchen bar towels for some. She told me later that she preferred the bar towels better as they would dry faster and seemed to be more absorbent. Another mother told me the same thing. I used flannel on the backs. I did prewash all towels and flannel prior to sewing together.