Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Questions on walking foot machine >

Questions on walking foot machine

Questions on walking foot machine

Old 11-20-2020, 01:13 PM

Default Questions on walking foot machine

Anyone familiar with walking foot machines? I have a Singer 4522 which is fine for lighter weight projects. But I'd like to do some heavier things... canvas, vinyls, straps, light leather, etc. Making bags/packs/tactical type gear. I have been doing some research and there are many (and expensive) machines that can do this stuff. I'm interested in getting some feed back on the following: (in no specific order)
Sailrite LS1
Reliable Barracuda 200ZW
Consew 206
any other suggestions for basic walking foot mechanical machine
I know this is quilting site, but hoping someone may know about other styles of sewing.
Thanks for any input.
Denny
Old 11-21-2020, 07:24 AM

I have a Janome 6600MC and have a built in walking foot and I use it alot but I don't know of a particular machine that just does work with a walking foot. Most sewing machines come with that attachment.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:59 PM

Well I've been doing a lot of looking, asking questions, prying into various you tubes and think I have decided to get serious about a Sailrite machine. These are expensive, but portable. They are designed to be used to make sails, awnings, canopies, etc. So I feel pretty confident this will suit my needs. I have NOT found a single used Sailrite on the market!! Other machines are available used for better prices, but they have oil issues, are mounted on tables that are fairly large.... the oil sump units tend to leak. I have limited space, carpet in family room, and don't care to spend this much. But due to the smaller size, portable machine, it should fit onto my sewing table just fine. That way I can move machines back and forth and not have space issues. I have sent a laundry list to sailrite, asking various questions about what comes with, required options, etc. This basically has the same footprint as my Singer 4522, has heavier sewing capabilities, go thru and sew this things I currently have issues with. If I do move forward, I will let you know.... I know this site is all about quilting, but it is the only sewing site I visit with any regularity. Thanks for putting up with this old fart!!! Or should I say old biker, veteran, retired fart?!
Old 11-24-2020, 08:48 AM

Keep in mind that many of us look for a variety of different machines. I have not heard of any of these machines the good thing is you found something that will work for your needs. I would like to take the time to say thank you for your service. We need more like you.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:52 PM

Well.... they just delivered my new Sailrite Ultrafeed LS-1. Had a bit of explaining to do to my wife, and she wasn't particularly happy with me. Now to unbox and set up. I guess I'm becoming like some of you....five machines now.... and I probably won't use but two of them!!! I have my mothers and mother-in-law machines, which will stay in the family as long as I'm alive. And my original treadle, which if I could get couple hundred, I might consider selling!! But I think (and hope) I'm done buying machines. Thanks for putting up with my silly questions!!! But I'll be back!

Sailrite Ultrafeed LS-1
Singer 4522 HD
Dressmaker (model unknown) M-I-L machine
Singer 28 1914 model Mom's machine
Singet 115 1915 model my treadle and my first