Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quick Gift Ideas for children?

Quick Gift Ideas for children?

Just found out last night 2 boys ages 5 and 7 are coming to share our Christmas Eve party again this year. I made them pillow cases at the last minute last year. They MAY be bringing their "girl" cousins who are the same ages. I've searched here on the board and did find this one cute older posting, but I don't think it would work for them. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t206017.html
    Any suggestions for something that I could make (while working on Quiltville mystery etc) just so they have some little package to open? (Last year I also made them each a little plate of cookies in animal shapes which they loved, but time consuming)... Thanks for any suggestions!

Blog Entries
    why not goto the dollar store and get them puzzles for a buck a pop. they will be kept busy and they make great gifts for all ages.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

DJ
    Lynnie has a good idea! If you really want to make something, crayon rolls and a tablet of paper shouldn't take too long and you could probably use some of your fabric scraps. A book bag with a book in it might be quick and appreciated.

Thank you ladies for your suggestions! Today I remembered I had some chalkboard fabric left & may try to make each of them an I Spy placemat with a strip of the chalkboard fabric inserted... still brewing.....

Blog Entries
    cheap dollar store puzzles aren't made as nice as the good one...
    how about a bag of balloons? Maybe some games?
    Last edited by miriam; 12-14-2014 at 05:31 AM.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Pillow cases are a fantastic gift. They make great "bags" to put the rest of their loot in so it doesn't get mixed up with other kids stuff.

Little boys usually love match box cars, Little girls play makeup all that can also be gotten at Dollar Tree throw in a box of crayons and a coloring book.

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Thank you ladies for your suggestions! Today I remembered I had some chalkboard fabric left & may try to make each of them an I Spy placemat with a strip of the chalkboard fabric inserted... still brewing.....
    Sounds great to me!

Blog Entries
    I've been selling balloon balls at bazaars this year. There are free patterns online.

Capes and full skirts are still fun at that age. I made my daughter the tulle skirt that you double up and drop fake flower petals in the fold...very fun and not expensive.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Blog Entries
    Dollar Tree has lots of fun things. Plus drwing paper, crayons, pencils...just look and you can get a lot of value there.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

new coloring books and crayons are always a hit. THrow in some stickers and you're good to go

If they are going to be the only children at your event, I would definitely get them something they can play with. My 4/5/6 year old grandchildren love stickers. I would get then a few of those $1.00 sticker books, a pack of paper, and maybe some washable markers. This would keep them busy for a long time.

Blog Entries
    One of my boy's wouldn't play with stickers, paper or crayons - if it came apart he was ok though.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    How about buying a plain artist book and cover and make. A matching pencil case and fill with colouring equipment rulers etc from pound shop
    Finished is better than a UFO

Pillow beds are quick and easy to make (sew 4 or 5 pillow cases together (with the flaps facing the same way ) fill with some cheap pillows and hey presto you have a pillow bed can also be folded into a soft chair),take and play road mat and car carrier (think I found a tutorial on pintrest) ,crayon and paper holder bag ,sleeping bag for dolls or teddy ect

this might not be an item you want to make them for this:

Take a cardboard tube such as the ones Christmas wrapping paper comes on.
    Glue the end of a piece of felt to it.
    With three of the wide rubber bands, you now have a puzzle mat.
    You put the puzzle together on the felt and when you are ready to put it away,
    assembled or not, as long as the pieces are flat, you just roll it up around
    the tube and put the rubber bands on the ends and middle.
    I did this years ago for my girls and am going to do it for my grandmouslings
    this year. It's a winner with moms
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Blog Entries
    How about a fabric cover for a composition notebook? You know, the ones with the black and white pebbled covers? If your stash doesn't include fabric that is appropriate, you can buy cute bandanas as WalMart for about a dollar and use that. My grandkids loved them!

I suggest that next year, you have a few spare items already made so you don't get "surprised" again! You can always donate them!

Merry Christmas to you and yours
    Sue

Thanks for all the suggestions.... I have one of the place mats completed & the other 3 ready for the hand stitching on the binding. Name:  placemats002_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 34
Size:  71.3 KB the front with chalk board fabric insert and the back of this one. Name:  placemats003_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 31
Size:  76.1 KB ( I already shared it on the Virtual quilting weekend, hope that's ok? )

Just for fun I'm posting the 4 placemats together with a little snowman that is wrapping a large chocolate bar... no nuts! Name:  placemat and choc001_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 61
Size:  76.9 KBName:  placemat and choc002_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 26
Size:  14.3 KB

Your snowman is adorable. You are very creative. The black board placemats are very nice too. I've found it wise to gift the young family members something to keep them occupied so the adults can visit for awhile. The little ones get board if they don't have something to play with (and not messy) coloring books and crayons are a good idea.
    Sue