Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quick and reasonably priced christmas gifts for kids?

Blog Entries

Quick and reasonably priced christmas gifts for kids?

In search of something quick and easy to make for my great nieces and great nephews for Christmas. There are 4 boys ranging in age from 9 to 18 months and two girls ages 4 and 15 months. I have made the four older ones rag quilts, and pillowcases already. I was thinking since my one niece is making them tie quilts i could make new pillowcases to match her quilts but i don't want to take away from what she is doing - just thought that would be something quick i could make that would co ordinate with what she is doing. any other ideas?

What about fabric beach balls or blocks? Since they are soft, they are great for little ones. Here's a tute for the ball:

http://stitchesandloveblog.blogspot....-tutorial.html
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Blog Entries
    or how about the clutch balls, or sometimes called a puzzleball. my son loved his and still will bounce one if he finds one. they are colorful and can be made of scraps. I don't know how to attach a website, but you can google it. good luck and show us what you do.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

One year I made art bags for the kids. Extra fabric made like pillow case with a seam around the top for a tie. Around this time of year crayons and stuff are usually sale priced for stocking stuffers, pay-doh, paper, 3 ring notebooks, pencils, scissors, paint with water books. Not only did they love them but I put their name on every single thing(each crayon etc so no fights). Also my Mom and I had all 5 nephews staying with us so it also kept them busy

Money is very popular under our Christmas tree! For the younger ones, make them doll quilts/toy bags/laundry bags - same thing but they can be used however the child wants to use them.

These are very easy to make, you don't need batting although you can use it, and they can be personalized to each child. The pictures I'm inserting don't have the handle on them yet. The handle is just big enough to fit over a door knob and also makes it possible for a child to drag his/her treasures around. The oklder kids might enjoy the little bag stuffed with a travel size pillow.

You can use a few of your UFO blocks for these little bags!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A doll quilt.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	402.3 KB 
ID:	499361

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A doll quilt 2.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	499362
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You could always ask your niece if she would let you do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
    In search of something quick and easy to make for my great nieces and great nephews for Christmas. There are 4 boys ranging in age from 9 to 18 months and two girls ages 4 and 15 months. I have made the four older ones rag quilts, and pillowcases already. I was thinking since my one niece is making them tie quilts i could make new pillowcases to match her quilts but i don't want to take away from what she is doing - just thought that would be something quick i could make that would co ordinate with what she is doing. any other ideas?

Blog Entries
    Cinch sacks, kids love them.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    in the pattern books, they have a pattern for makings stuffed monsters/aliens. id did a bunch of them one year you mix the parts up, use polar fleece, quick and easy, wait for Joanns to have a pattern sale, takes about 1 hour each to make or assembly line them to do it quicker.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    i think i have decided on making pillowcases again. money is tight right now so i am going to make them with a solid body and use camo for the cuff for the three oldest boys, minnie mouse for the one girl, john deere for the little guy and not sure yet about the other two - one a girl and one a boy. thinking of using iron on letters and putting their name on each one. i don't do applique and i figure iron on would be easy and quick to get done. hoping the letters stay on for a long time!