quilt club party

Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM

we have a small quilt club-4friends,5 sisters,and 3 offsprings. Our last meeting of the year was the 2nd week of OCT. My friend wanted to host a CHRISTMAS party for the group. 5 weeks before the the date, I sent out a carefully worded letter (pd the postage) reminding everyone who was expected, what we would be doing, to bring their blocks to exchange(they were assigned in OCT) 12 12.5" blks. all food was furnished by friend(she's also a member)and I kicked in half on SUBWAY ($15.00each) and 2 desserts We knew 3 adults would be unable to attend. 2 called that they would be late. 2 showed up with 4kids(unexpected),since they hadn't called about extras we didn't plan kid food.A least 1/3 are pissed because they brought their blocks which were gladly recieved by ALL, BUT 4 people didn't do theirs . One said I only got 5 done so I left them at home& just brought 1 to show. Another was honest and said too many things came up & I just don't see it happening ( but she took blocks),she brought everyone about 5yds ea. from her stash.Another said they'd be done -yesterday- not here.We furnished #'s to call if you had a problem,ect. Would've perferred to have had adults only @ the party BUT the kids were OK.Is it wrong to think these mothers should've called & told us we would have extras? And how about the blocks?? We shelled out a few $$$ for a nice party(friend much more, had party favors ), ect, but no mention of block problems before hand. oops, sorry this is sooo long
Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Google Goddess

I feel your pain, bless your heart

Hugs Hugs
Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM

I have 3 kids and if I don't ask before I take them with! If I think it's something that I can take them to I always ask to make sure they can come with!! That was just rude!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 PM

I have a Christmas party each year for my quilting and painting buddies. It is a pot luck. It is understood, we did our job raising our kids. We have empty nest. It is our time now.

Our main tradition is that everyone make something to eat.

We all make our favorite thing to bring to eat. One of the ladies, just went to the grocery and brought a box of raw veggies from that department. The next year she brought her grandbaby and another box of raw veggies that nobody ate the first time lol.

Well, she broke two of our traditions and she didn't care so I guess she is not invited anymore....the rest of us have such a good time so why let one or two spoil it?

We all look forward to this time together. We bring white elephants to give away if we have some. Some of us have unfinshed quilt we don't want to finish and we bring that to give away, to who so ever wants it lol.

We have show and tell. We eat and watch movies and of course chat all the time and plan our next quilt or painting session.

Let me add that when I was raising my child it was different then. I would leave him at home with his dad or take him if it was ok or didn't go if the situation was different.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 PM

the kids weren't as big a problem as the blocks not being done, but the ones that were done going home w/ "non- blockers"
Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by quilt crazee
the kids weren't as big a problem as the blocks not being done, but the ones that were done going home w/ "non- blockers"
Now see, that shouldn't have happened. Only the ones who brought blocks should have participated in this and something should have been said.

I would have said, Oh I'm so sorry you weren't able to finish but that's ok, we will just exchange with the ones who did...
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM

I feel your pain. I am the youngest at our bible study it is a no kids function and I have to say I LOVE IT. Things do come up but I stay home I let my hubby go (he works 60-80 hours a week it makes sense to me) So there was several weeks where others could inform you. I think you are justified to feel like you do. For me if I had not made a block I would not have taken. That is how I was raised. Sorry it did not work out like you planned
Old 12-09-2010, 01:00 PM

I think that extra people (kids are people in some dictionaries) is just plain rude. Since the damage is already done, I'd probably NOT say anything about it but I WOULD make it clear next year (presuming there is a next year) that kids (and other hangers-on) should stay home. Or maybe suggest that the group collectively "buy" a babysitter for the evening.

As to the quilt blocks, it's easy to understand that life gets in the way. But it's dirty pool to say you will and then don't. I think the perpetrators should understand that they STILL "owe" the blocks to the group. Mean-spirited attitude? Probably but that's my take and I'm a mean ole biddy!

Another year, perhaps, have a get-together or two between the start date and the finish line to work on the blocks as a group. (1) This will provide an opportunity to help those who need help or inspiration with their blocks. (2) This will keep the finish line in the forefront of people's memories and remind them of their commitment. (3) This will be fun for all concerned. By the second get-together, you should have a fair idea of who will come through and who won't. You'll get the chance to chat privately with the slackers and allow them the opportunity to either bow out or re-commit BEFORE the exchange day, preventing some measure of disappointment. In any event, I'd send out a note/email several times gently reminding folks that the finish date is looming.

But for now, I say enjoy the blocks, the cameraderie, and the pleasure you had from the whole affair. Your Quilt Club miscreants know they erred and will deal with their own feelings of remorse.

Enjoy your holiday, your family, your friends, and all other the little things that make life worth living!

I bid you peace,

Sue
Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Ditto what Dutchie said. Good things will come your way. YOur efforts will not goin vein. Happy holidays. YOu were so sweet and considerate to do this. *H*U*G*S*
Old 12-09-2010, 02:11 PM

That just stinks! Some people just dont get it. Very inconsiderate to say the least. Hang in there, hope you have a very Merry Christmas anyway :)