Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt Police Sting Operation

Quote Originally Posted by connie_1936
    you should have been given a supply list when you signed up for the class. the fault is the instructers not yours.
    I totally agree, and had it been me, I would have said... "Gee, I would have brought all those things, had I been given a supply list like most instructors give".

Live and learn. Perhaps you got something out of the class after all ;-)

Don't give up on classes.

There are a lot of online classes...I'm going to check out that Quilt University, I think it's called. I'm taking a new job and won't always have complete control over my schedule. Stuff happens. It's a pain for the teacher, too. Not defending how she handled it, but just let it go and learn from it. Takes awhile to get organized and know what to bring. Hang in there!!

Quote Originally Posted by lynn_z
    ... I had 3 hrs to learn what I wanted to learn so didn't think it would matter if I showed up a little late. I've only been to a few classes and the ones I've gone to before didn't require much so I didn't take much. Took enough precut pieces (barely) no thread, no seam ripper. I mean, if I have someone instructing me I shouldn't have to rip anything out...right? ... I grabbed my most abused rotary cutter because it was the only one I could find. ... Some of my pins had a little rust ... Anyway, she did say something I can use against her if necessary.
    Seriously??!! YIKES!

You went to class late with no reason other than you thouight there was enough time to learn what you wanted. What about the rest of the class? If I'd paid to attend and somebody arrived late, honestly, I'd be annoyed that we'd have to wait while that person set up and got caught up.

Other classes didn't require much so you didn't take much. You should have been given a supply list, but if you weren't, you might have inquired what was needed. Depending on the expected outcome of the class, materials needed vary widely.

You took "barely" enough pieces (which makes me think there must have been some kind of required materials list), no thread and no seam ripper. Did you think you wouldn't need thread? As far as the seam ripper, none of us WANT to use them, but it's kind of a necessary evil. Even the most accomplished quilter makes mistakes.

You took rusty pins and an "abused" rotary cutter. How either of those would help one who is learning a new method/pattern/whatever is beyond me. I wouldn't use them at home, much less when I wanted to do something new.

But the most disturbing thing to me is the last line: She said something you can use against her?

If you had indicated that the instructor was hyper critical of everyone, put down people's color choices, didn't listen to legitimate questions, or was otherwise rude to the students, I would be inclined to agree that you had run into a member of the quilt police. From what you've said, though, I don't think that is the case.

I hope that somehow quilting will help you see the positive in situations, whether at home or in a class. Maybe you can look at where you started and what your work looks like now and think, "Wow, look how much I've improved!" Or if you can settle yourself and sew for a while and realize how much better you feel after, you'll know how calming an enjoyable hobby can be. Better still, if you give a gift that the recipient loves, whether it's perfect or not, because it was made and given from the heart, you'll know why most folks have taken this addictive interest up.

Peace and Joy,
    Robin

I walked right into it. I wanted to go a class, just a one night quick thing or so I thought. I had 3 hrs to learn what I wanted to learn so didn't think it would matter if I showed up a little late. I've only been to a few classes and the ones I've gone to before didn't require much so I didn't take much. Took enough precut pieces (barely) no thread, no seam ripper. I mean, if I have someone instructing me I shouldn't have to rip anything out...right? Wrong and I didn't even do the ripping out right. I grabbed my most abused rotary cutter because it was the only one I could find. Some of my pins had a little rust but when I said most of my pins were on other quilts I'm working on, she seemed disturbed and said "more than 1"? I am grateful she didn't have my address to check out my quilts or I would be in serious trouble. I left feeling very inadequate and as soon as I got home, I started organizing my needles and pins for the 1st time ever. Anyway, she did say something I can use against her if necessary. I would love to make this quilt be perfect so I could take it back to her and prove I'm nor completely inept but I think we all know that probably won't be happening anytime soon.
    So you showed up late and ill prepared and blame the teacher?

It's always difficult to feel adequate next to people that are prepared.

I walked right into it. I wanted to go a class, just a one night quick thing or so I thought. I had 3 hrs to learn what I wanted to learn so didn't think it would matter if I showed up a little late. I've only been to a few classes and the ones I've gone to before didn't require much so I didn't take much. Took enough precut pieces (barely) no thread, no seam ripper. I mean, if I have someone instructing me I shouldn't have to rip anything out...right? Wrong and I didn't even do the ripping out right. I grabbed my most abused rotary cutter because it was the only one I could find. Some of my pins had a little rust but when I said most of my pins were on other quilts I'm working on, she seemed disturbed and said "more than 1"? I am grateful she didn't have my address to check out my quilts or I would be in serious trouble. I left feeling very inadequate and as soon as I got home, I started organizing my needles and pins for the 1st time ever. Anyway, she did say something I can use against her if necessary. I would love to make this quilt be perfect so I could take it back to her and prove I'm nor completely inept but I think we all know that probably won't be happening anytime soon.
    Reach behind you, pull the handle and FLUSH that experience and move on. Don't waste your good brain cells and energy on that one!

The way I look at it is you didn't mesh with the teacher just don't take a class with her again there are lots f other quilting teachers out there .... you can even find people to teach you individually....

Blog Entries
    Sorry about your experience but I'm inclined to read your complaint as someone who thinks oh well, I'm entitled to be late, not have supplies, not putting any thought to the class, and have excuse after excuse to why, and then get upset because you weren't patted on the back and having your inadequacy seen as cute. I dread having a class member like this in my community quilting workshops and have been frustrated with them but keeping my desire to tell them to please leave not said.

As a past quilt teacher, I can let you know that it is disruptive to a class for students to show up late. And without proper supplies. But, a good teacher will try to let you feel like it is ok anyway. I always tried to have supplies available in case a student forgot something.

Hope that you will try another class sometime, but try to be there on time, and with all necessary supplies....you probably will feel better after that class.

I sincerely hope that the original poster was writing tongue-in-cheek. But I'm afraid she wasn't...

By her own admission, she decided what time to arrive and what to bring. Uh, what happened to preparing a little in advance and being polite enough to arrive in a timely manner?

She admits to bringing the minimum of equipment, and not particularly well-maintained tools, either...

Then she wonders why the teacher takes her for an uncaring dilettante? And she complains about the teacher's attitude??? Wow.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I honestly don't think the teacher is to blame here.

I am deleting my comments entirely... looking at more posts I see both points of view and realize I walked into a storm (backs quietly out of the room, whimpering in fear...)

I think the replies are spot on - both those who were 'pro' student and 'pro' instructor.

I took a class about 35 years ago and HATED quilting when I was finished. Really, really hated it. Said I'd never do it again all because of the instructor. There was no pleasing her.

Thank God for the internet and good friends...

Blog Entries
    I hope your post was tongue-in-cheek, if not, no sympathy from me!

Blog Entries
    I have seam rippers all over my house....yes, I am that good!! lol

Just a testament to how much ripping I do...sigh. I shall not give up though! lol

you should have been given a supply list when you signed up for the class. the fault is the instructers not yours.
    I absolutely agree. The classes I have taken, everyone is so good about lending and borrowing. I can't imagine an instructor making it so uncomfortable for a student that they wouldnt want to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I absolutely agree. The classes I have taken, everyone is so good about lending and borrowing. I can't imagine an instructor making it so uncomfortable for a student that they wouldnt want to come back.
    The OP never said that a supply list was not available, and if so, whether she even bothered to get one. As for lending items in a class, I certainly wouldn't lend my tools to someone who showed disrespect to their own (rusty pins, abused rotary cutter), even if I knew the person.

Opinions like the OP's, posted for the world to see on the internet, are extremely discouraging to any of us who have ever thought about teaching a class and sharing our accumulated knowledge. :( Tardy, unprepared students with an 'attitude', who keep track of things that they can use against the instructor later? Who needs that! :shock:

I should have been more specific. I couldn't get home in time and it was a rare occasion that I didn't get totally stressed and I did leave a little early so she could go home. I was the only student there so she didn't get paid much for her time so that was probably her problem. I would never say what she said because she might get in trouble...definitely not good for business but she was just being honest, I guess. I appreciated learning what I did but previous teachers have been supportive and I always wanted to go back to them.

I've taught adult classes for training and for academic purposes, and I have found that it does not pay for an instructor to bring an ego to class. Any time anyone comes in late or forgets something or didn't do the homework, some instructors take it as a personal slight or a deliberate insult and get an attitude which they proceed to convey to the class. In a group situation this can generate some really bad vibes within the classroom, where hard-working adults are paying money and sometimes risking their own egos and sacrificing their time to better themselves.
    I find the best thing to do is move on with the class, and talk with a disruptive person privately after class if warranted. I do not use my position as instructor to belittle or bully class members before their peers.

In this case, where Lynn-z was the only person in the class, it was a great opportunity to make this is personalized one-on-one very special learning event for both of them.DUH!!!
    What a shame.

I'm afraid as a full time student (at 56), I have experienced many a student coming in late, not having pen/paper/ruler/or worse, book. Very disruptive to the whole class.
    You state you were the only student. Around here, class isn't held unless they have a minimum amount of students.
    You state you were in a hurry. Did you not do preplanning days before and gather the appropriate supplies? I have a class in October and could walk out the door in 15 minutes today with everything I need if necessary as I have already gathered together everything I need.
    Please understand, I was not alway's this way. I had to work at making sure I didn't procrastinate, wasn't late, had the supplies I needed, and not to depend on, interrupt others, inconvenience the teacher, etc. It has been a long journey but I received a wonderful comment from my DH friend the other day. He said I was the most organized women he knew!
    Take all the comments on here, weigh them, find where you could make changes, and move forward. Don't dwell on it but change your behavior since you cannot change anyone elses.

I attended a class where I was not told of a supply list.. So I went early and sure enough there was a list.. BUT I had my tote with everything but the kitchen sink just so I would be prepared.... The class cost 25.00 non refundable for 3 hours.... I was SO excited to learn... I sat at the back of the class( only 5 of us) cuz I don't like people looking at me..( I'm A.D.D. )

You were the only student there?? Wow, some class. :(
    Maybe she is the one who was feeling inadequate.

I should have been more specific. I couldn't get home in time and it was a rare occasion that I didn't get totally stressed and I did leave a little early so she could go home. I was the only student there so she didn't get paid much for her time so that was probably her problem. I would never say what she said because she might get in trouble...definitely not good for business but she was just being honest, I guess. I appreciated learning what I did but previous teachers have been supportive and I always wanted to go back to them.
    I'm sorry, this gives a very different impression than your original post. Do I understand properly that you arrived a bit late and left a bit early and were the only student? Was this some sort of scheduled private tuition?

I have taught private students (not quilting, however) and my student and I always try to respect our agreed timeframe and the student brings their material to class, just as they would in a group situation. I'm perplexed here!

Sorry pushed wrong button..... Anyways.. 10 mins late in come a student..and with all the set up everyone kept turning around and trying to tell the person to QUIT it down... The teacher just kept right on teaching.... And I did not hear a word...so moral to the story.... Please be on time.....I also learned. I had the wrong thread. Polyester not cotton, my saftley pins were. 00 not a 2. My backing was wrong....... I'm glad I got my moneys worth. Now my quilts will be made better.... My friend who attended the same class was totally insulted by the teacher. She took it personally on having wrong material..... So no two people see the same situation the same...... I was grateful, she was insulted.... Oh well.... Life gibes on, and on, and on..

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    When I read the original post I thought it was a joke. Then I read your second post and I'm really confused!

It sounds to me like you were expecting the teacher to work a miracle. She can't change your attitude, which I think is the real problem.

I hope things work out b/c quilting is such a joy and relaxation for us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast