Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilters not going to Houston? >

Quilters not going to Houston?

Quilters not going to Houston?

Old 10-16-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQ54 View Post
This post might seem extreme to some, but with what with has been going on I think we all need to be very cautious. While it's great to travel under normal circumstances, until Ebola is contained and we have control of it, people should postpone optional travel. I'm not trying to panic anyone but, Ebola isn't like catching a cold or the flu, it's a 90% fatal disease. While it isn't easily spread like a cold/flu virus, Ebola is a HIGHLY infectious disease. That means once exposed you will probably get it! I didn't realize this until watching a CNN Ebola report last night. All it takes is an infected person to wipe their nose and then touch a surface, later you touch the same surface and if you have a blister, paper cut, hangnail, or any break in the skin you will contract Ebola. It is also not known how long the Ebola virus can live on surfaces. Lysol disinfectant sheets or hand sanitizer will not kill Ebola virus. Chlorine Bleach is the only known chemical that kills it. How about the two Dallas nurses who treated the deceased Ebola patient, they had protective gear and disinfectants and they still contracted Ebola. Thank goodness the public at large are not coming into contact with infected patients' body fluids as a nurse would, but we are not protected from surface exposure: money, all public building door handles, faucet handles, shopping carts, counters,etc. Traveling close to areas where Ebola exists puts at risk the travelers, their family members and the hometowns to which they return. Now thanks to the CDC and one Dallas nurse, people from all over the U.S. and possibly other countries have been unnecessarily exposed to Ebola. How many innocent children and adults flew in an Ebola-infected plane, due to their terrible lack of judgment. Also this infected nurse came into contact with people at airports and other public places she visited--not to mention her out-of-town family. It won't take too many more such incidents to create the feared U.S. Ebola epidemic. The CDC and Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital-Dallas apologizing after letting the "cat out of the bag" will not cancel out the virus exposure they have caused. If something isn't done soon we may be facing an Ebola epidemic in the United States comparable to the Bubonic Plague of the Middle-Ages. I wonder if our Healthcare system could deal with an Ebola epidemic, as they haven't been able to adequately deal with the few cases they have had so far without putting healthcare workers and the public at needless risk. So many stupid mistakes have also been made by the CDC. I cannot understand why people exposed to this lethal disease were not quarantined to their homes--period. Instead, they were allowed to fly on commercial airlines exposing countless more people to this deadly virus. They used to quarantine people with Measles and Measles is nothing compared to Ebola. How dumb can they be? This comedy of errors and casual attitude concerning this disease has to stop. Time has come for state/federal governments to quit "pussy-footing around" and restrict travel to and from Africa and states in the U.S. where Ebola is known to exist until this lethal disease has been contained. With Ebola being 90% fatal it's better to err on the side of caution. America is a free county and we all value our ability to travel unrestricted, but there are times when this freedom must be restricted temporarily to protect the public from itself.
I totally agree. It doesn't seem that anyone is taking this as seriously as it should be taken. I don't understand why people aren't being quarantined and why flights from areas in Africa were the disease runs rampant aren't being cancelled.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:01 AM

Carnival cruise ship not allowed to port. Belize refuses entry as a Dallas lab worker with contact to either patient zero or his labs is on ship with symptoms. There are over four thousand passengers and crew on ship. I admire this small country standing up and saying no to porting so sick person could then be airlifted. (Apologis for link not being from a more middle-of-the-road and politically neutral site but they are only one reporting completely right now about this. ) http://theconservativetreehouse.com/...-armed-belize/
Old 10-17-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Carnival cruise ship not allowed to port. Belize refuses entry as a Dallas lab worker with contact to either patient zero or his labs is on ship with symptoms. There are over four thousand passengers and crew on ship. I admire this small country standing up and saying no to porting so sick person could then be airlifted. (Apologis for link not being from a more middle-of-the-road and politically neutral site but they are only one reporting completely right now about this. ) http://theconservativetreehouse.com/...-armed-belize/
I congratulate them, too! I only wish our country would be more concerned with their citizen and work more at elminating potential risks and containing the infection that is already here and less concerned about other countries and being politically correct.

Don't worry about the link. It's a fine source for me

Edit: Here's a link from our local Houston news channel who are usually pretty reliable
http://www.khou.com/story/news/local...ston/17422041/

Last edited by cashs_mom; 10-17-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:57 AM

I've never been to the show in Houston, but I'd love to go sometime. And I agree with those of you concerned about ebola. We were thinking of maybe going to Europe near the end of the year, but I'm very hesitant to book anything until we see if more people start getting sick.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I've never been to the show in Houston, but I'd love to go sometime. And I agree with those of you concerned about ebola. We were thinking of maybe going to Europe near the end of the year, but I'm very hesitant to book anything until we see if more people start getting sick.
I'm fortunate to live in Houston and usually attend Quilt Fest every year. If you get a chance to do it, it's totally worth the trip. The classes and lectures are great. The vendors and quilt exhibits are awesome. Put it on your bucket list for sure.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:24 AM

We have friends who were supposed to visit from Texas. They have cancelled their flight to visit us and their plans onward to NYC. They are leery of flights now and the unknown right now. Can't say I blame them. Haven't seen them in a year. We may just drive down for a visit.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 AM

I emailed Quilts Inc. but as of now, I have not received an answer as to whether or not the vendors from Africa will be at the show this year. Just thought I'd update everyone on that.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I was NEVER afraid when my best friends' brother's boyfriend had aids. If you don't touch any bodily fluids, nothing ever happened to me. I shared many meals with them and never feared catching aids. Even the dead man's fiancee and her kids haven't come down with any symptoms yet. I would be much more scared of bird flu if that ever starts making the round again. Thousands of American are going to died from this year's flu when it starts making the rounds.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I was NEVER afraid when my best friends' brother's boyfriend had aids. If you don't touch any bodily fluids, nothing ever happened to me. I shared many meals with them and never feared catching aids. Even the dead man's fiancee and her kids haven't come down with any symptoms yet. I would be much more scared of bird flu if that ever starts making the round again. Thousands of American are going to died from this year's flu when it starts making the rounds.
this is is just how I feel. I've flown recently and am not going to Houston only because I've never gone and don't want to. We are about a five hour drive. Maybe I will want to one day. In addition to the bird flu that respiratory virus (much easier spread than Ebola) would be more worrisome. But that won't deter me either.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

All I know is that if I have a low-grade fever, I don't go anywhere, especially if I've had it for a full day. I don't want to be around anyone that has a low-grade fever either. That will irritate the living daylights out of me. My boys never got perfect attendance in school when they were sick. I kept them home and they never went back until they had no fever for a full 24 hours. a low-grade fever compromises the immune system. If you have a low-grade fever you're setting yourself up for a possible high-grade infection from someone who is out and about with a virus or anyother type of contamination. People laugh at me because I go use tissues instead of handkerchiefs. I have them with me in my car, purse and totes. If you have a cold or sniffles you wipe and throw the germs away. I even have a small Ziploc bag in my purse to toss the used away later. I won't be going to the quilt show in Houston because I would be going by myself. we are having one here in February and that will do for me. about a 20 minute drive from my home.