Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilters & Seamstresses will understand >

Quilters & Seamstresses will understand

Quilters & Seamstresses will understand

Old 09-14-2011, 02:45 PM

Many, years ago I began making a plaid wool skirt. Why I was making a wool skirt when I lived in Southern California I will never know. My mother was assisting me. She always tried to teach me to sew and whenever I would dream up an often hairbrained project she was always right there to help me. Many times she would end up finishing it and it would always be beautiful.

At some point I abandoned the project. I moved to New York and the project was packed. When I cleaned out "junk" all but the skirt, waistband and another piece of the wool was saved but the rest was given away. I got my own sewing machine but I never finished the skirt.

I came across someone on Etsy that makes custom hats out of recycled clothing and other materials. I contacted her and she agreed to make a hat for me out of the fabric. I pulled out the skirt and did a rough measurement to make sure there was enough but I never followed through with her.

Now, fall is approaching and I'm thinking about my winter hat again. I sat down and took a close look at the skirt. It is beautiful. The plaid matches perfectly in each seam, every dart, the zipper, even the split. I remember every step. I was so proud of myself when I did the darts. It was my first time. My mom said that I did a great job. It was my mom's expertise, though, that enabled me to do it. I just see my mom when I look at it and I miss her alot.

I wanted to have the hat made out of it so that I would be able to use it since it is such lovely fabric. I don't want to waste it. However, looking at it now, I don't want to cut it up. I know that my mom would say that if I'm not going to finish it, then have the hat made. I know that I should. I just didn't anticipate how it would make me feel.

I think of my mom every time I sew. I remember when I was first learning and I would be very tentative with the pedal. She would say, "Go ahead, give it a little gas". Or when I was cutting in too little bites she would say, "Don't be afraid to cut your fabric. These are scissors not nail clippers. Get in there!".

I wish she could see my work now. She wasn't into quilting but she loved the quilt I made for her. I miss sharing with her.

I am glad, though, that I have all of you to share with. Thanks! :)
Old 09-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Maybe you could make something yourself to remember her. There are a million patterns out there.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:49 PM

Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:49 PM

Maybe she would understand if you would keep the skirt just because she helped you make it. Display it, use it to decorate your bedroom.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:21 PM

That is a Beautiful story...thanks for sharing it with us!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for shaaring.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jmabby
Maybe she would understand if you would keep the skirt just because she helped you make it. Display it, use it to decorate your bedroom.
Why not?

That was a sweet story - and I do understand.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:07 PM

I remember my mom making me resew pleats because the plaids didn't line up.
Keep your shirt and memories.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:48 PM

Since the skirt isn't finished and it doesn't sound like you can finish it (not all the pieces, right?) I'd have the hat made like you planned. Then you get to use it and not have an unfinished project sitting around. The memories of your mother's help aren't going to disappear just because the end product changed.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks for sharing your story. I have wonderful memories of my grandmother teaching me to sew. Both my grandmothers were gifted seamstresses,but only one of them passed it on to me. Treasure the memories. I think I'd want to keep the skirt as it is. I like the suggestion to use it to decorate your bedroom or maybe your sewing room if you have one.