quilting and ham radio

Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Just wanted to know if any of you quilters are also ham radio operators.
:D
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 PM

My DH is a master class ham operator, but he could never get me interested. His call sign is KW4K.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 PM

Hi Nana,

I am both a quilter and a ham. I hold a license but lately have not been able to get on the radio much. Both can be expensive hobbies.

Have you ever made it to the Hamvention held in Dayton, OH?

Thanks for posting the inquiry. I'll be watching to see if any others respond.

Have a Great Quilty Day!
Pam M
Old 03-08-2011, 02:10 AM

My dad was for many, many years....but now he has the internet and is hooked...I think he finally sold all of his equipment.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:42 AM

have never been to dayton hope to one day though we have a couple ham fests here in fact this weekend in puyallup there is one cant wait and then in June there is one in Seaside Oregon will go to that one as well.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 AM

I have a general class license and going for extra soon111 I am heavy into ham radio doing ARES plus contesting and ragchewing love those QSL (cards comfirming contacts) cards :-P
Old 03-08-2011, 05:07 AM

My DH is a master class ham as well.
He's on the radio EVERY night.

He's trying to talk me into get my license, but haven't yet.. I listen to him/them on the radio when I quilt.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by livenlearn124
My DH is a master class ham as well.
He's on the radio EVERY night.

He's trying to talk me into get my license, but haven't yet.. I listen to him/them on the radio when I quilt.
Hi livnlearn124,

I would encourage to study to at least get your technician class license. Your DH would be very happy and proud of your passing. It provides an additional form of communications in case of any future emergency. Go for it!

Pam M
Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
My dad was for many, many years....but now he has the internet and is hooked...I think he finally sold all of his equipment.
Hi Carolaug,

You'll need to let your dad know that if he has a computer, with microphone and speakers, that he has a radio. Technologies are merging. Have him look into whether there's any local ham clubs and they can get him up to spead in no time at all. Also, you do not have to take the morse code test to get a license now. It's a great way to stay in contact with others, besides the internet.

Pam M
Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 AM

I will have to ask him if he does this. I think the last of his old school and army friends that he used to contact on the ham radio passed aways so he lost interest. He did that during the war many, many years ago. We all learned morse code when we were kids he use to have a whole room set up. As he got older he had a mic he talked into. My husband climbed a very high tree for his antena. IT was funny...my husband is very afriad of heights and my dad kept saying a little higher...
Originally Posted by milp04
Originally Posted by carolaug
Hi Carolaug,

You'll need to let your dad know that if he has a computer, with microphone and speakers, that he has a radio. Technologies are merging. Have him look into whether there's any local ham clubs and they can get him up to spead in no time at all. Also, you do not have to take the morse code test to get a license now. It's a great way to stay in contact with others, besides the internet.

Pam M