Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is quilting a solitary activity for you? >

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Old 06-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
I sew alone most of the time, but not by choice. I'm disabled and shlepping my sewing machine is too hard. I'm considering creating a group to meet at the local book store coffee shop to do handwork and chat. I'd probably get my hexagons done if I did that. :lol:
lol, you probably would... I have a bag of things like that for when I realize its quilting day and I don't have time to pull together a 'real project'...
Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 PM

I quilt alone. None of my friends or family sew. :( I have went to a few classes here and there. The classes that I have taken were almost 30 miles from home. I would sign up for classes that took place after work. That made for a really long day for me. In order for me to accomplish this I would be gone from 6AM to 10-11PM. It wore me out quickly. I have made some new friends at some of the quilt classes that I went to. We tried to set up something where a few of us got together outside of the class but no one has the space in their homes or the time mostly because of work hour conflicts. I have looked into guilds but the closest one is almost 20 miles away. My fiance does help me with ironing and pinning if needed. He is very supportive of my sewing/quilting. He even bought me a used industrial machine so that I can do heavy duty type projects. I have boat cushions to make but not confident with this machine yet to start this project. I need more practice first. I have tried to get him to sew but it has not worked....yet. ;)
Old 06-18-2011, 05:29 PM

I always quilt alone.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM

If you can call this solitary...lol!

George
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213568[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213562.jpe  
Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 PM

I quilt alone. I would love to be able to join other ladies to quilt but I do not have that option just now. RATS!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:51 PM

I'm a solitary quilter. Quilting has always been my go-to place for peace and tranquility A place to sort things out so to speak. Way cheaper than a shrink and at the end I have some thing to show for my therapy sessions :thumbup:
Old 06-19-2011, 06:17 AM

unfortunetly yes, my friends don't quilt. I do take classes so I meet people who quilt but not ones that I quilt with. Even though most LQS have a day where you can take whatever you are working on and have a day together. I haven't done that; most that I see are really good at what they are doing and I'm still working on it. Plus on my days off from my full time job I watch my two youngest grandkids to offset my daughters daycare expenses that she can't afford. Plus I get to spend time with the kids so that is great. My 5 yr old wants to learn to quilt and loves to take pins out for me. Have to watch him though; sometimes he's so fast I hadn't gotten the piece sewen when he takes them out.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 AM

I do both.
There is a small group of ladies that meet once a month and quilt all day. We do our own projects, teach each other new things, share patterns and knowledge.
I belong to a large guild that has classes taught by whatever speaker they bring in and I try to take at least one class a year.
Most of the time I quilt at home alone.
I do have a friend that I quilt with when I visit her out of state. We have a great time for a week. We talk on the phone a lot and feed off each others ideas. (She doesn't have a computer.) I've been quilting about 11 years she has been quilting for over 40 years. Our styles likes are very different. She has taught me a lot and she says I have given her a lot of good ideas for a better variety of styles.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 AM

I pretty much quilt alone, although my sewing machine is in the living room so my DH is usually around. The local guild meets in the mornings when I am at work and my friends don't quilt. It's not a bad thing, though. I really don't enjoy packing things up and hauling them around anyway.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 AM

I quilt alone except for the occasional visit from one of my six furbabies or my DH popping his head over my shoulder to positively comment on my W.I.P. Wish I could find a local group, but I'm not aware of any except at the library and that's strictly a teaching situation. I'd love to find a 'hen session' group to share my quilting time with.