Quilting Withdrawl

Old 09-14-2010, 06:19 AM

Pipes burst three times in the house. DH was able to patch two times but third needed the plumber. Called on Sunday, came on Monday for the quote, worked Tuesday, Wednesday all done.

Got the insurance check for replacing flooring in kitchen and it was more than we expected.

Now we decided to go to the next level and replace flooring in kitchen, living room, dining room (my sewing area :? ) and two bathrooms. Also decided to knock out two short walls that were awlful which will open up the floor plan. Found pergo flooring for 60% off so we took it and ran. Just love Home Depot! Will end up with a kitchen island when this is all done. Only loosing one small floor cabinet so that's not too bad.

So with all this remodeling, my sewing machine/area has to be dismanteled for who knows how long. At least two weeks. Yah, right. DH says prep work takes longer than the installation.

I store fab in plastic containers so had to condense some of those down too to use for storage. Have to rearrange fab after this is done. This is really gonna be hard on my family since I'm calm(er) when I'm able to sew everyday either before or after work.

Luckily I have red work I can work on. Bought a Santa pattern from Bird Brain Designs so maybe can gat a couple more blocks done.

Dh says he gets more done when I'm not arround to get in the way.

Just needed to get this off my chest. I know it will be nice when it's done but living with remodeling is terrible. I still remember when my dad remodeled the house when I was 16 and how awful it was but the results were worth it.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:25 AM

O.M.G. I can feel your pain! :cry: I have to do something with fabric every single day, or my hands start to twitch. It's horrible!!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 AM

Best of luck! I am envious of your remodeling. It will be more than worth it.
Don't forget there is fun things you can do with applique, or yo-yo's, that are portable!
:)
Show us the finished flooring!!
:)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 AM

I know how you feel! In July 2003 we started a 2 story, 4 room addition to my house. We needed the extra room, but living in a construction zone was hard on the nerves. I cringe to think I'll have to do it again when I remodel the kitchen. Especially since my sewing area is at one end and it will have to be boxed up and stored too! I'm like you, I sew every day and need to touch and work with fabric. The sound of my machine is sooooo soothing. Guess I'll have to take up space somewhere else until it's done
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 AM

Counting the days and weeks for ds and dil to find a house. I will get 1/2 of the basement emptied out and my sewing room back (sharing with his bedroom furniture). Think I will take over the basement and make a gigantic sewing room.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 AM

Oh, I feel for you also. Do you have a friend who has a large sewing room? Go to their house frequently to "get away" and sew.Or maybe you could take over a space somewhere out of the remodeling zone and sneak away. I know, I know, pipe dream, huh? Maybe it will soon be over.
In the meantime, keep your chin up.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:59 AM

Oh my! this sounds like a great opportunity for a complete home makeover! I know you are in a tizzy of not being able to get to your sewing machine, but just think of how the house will be after all the work is finished and you can set up your sewing in a more spacious area!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
O.M.G. I can feel your pain! :cry: I have to do something with fabric every single day, or my hands start to twitch. It's horrible!!
I go along with that!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 AM

Here's a plan....go out to his garage and see if you can snag a table to set up your sewing machine. I HATE to see people in withdrawels!!!! :) I went thru 2 yrs of remodeling.......it'll be worth it!!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 AM

Just take some deep breaths and tell yourself,"It will be worth it in the end. I can do this."
Think how great your home will look when you can get back to serious sewing! Keep your redwork handy till then! :D