Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Quirky Habits

Quote Originally Posted by mrs theo View Post
    The toilet paper and paper towels have to be placed so they roll from the top down! I've been known to rearrange these at my daughter's and friend's houses...so pathetic!
    I don't think I have many quirky habits, but agree with this one 100%. Can't stand to see the paper going the other way, it's just WRONG!

I can't stand talking on the phone, especially "small talk". Tell me what you want, then let's hang up. (This comes from a horrible job where I had to answer 9 incoming phone lines ... not simply routing them to the proper person, but actually handling all the calls, all by myself, and they were CONSTANTLY busy. Missing a call was not an option, and would result in a major chewing-out. )

I must drink through a straw. I don't like my mouth touching a glass, cup, or can. Eeeww.

I literally gag when I smell or taste lettuce, even the tiniest bit of it.

If I'm eating a piece of hard candy, I can't just let it melt. I have to chew it up. (Needless to say, I don't care for those unchewable Jolly Rancher candies! ROFL!) And if I'm eating a piece of peppermint candy, I'll sneeze almost every time.

I always lay out my lotion, deodorant, makeup, clothes, etc. before taking a shower. Afterwards, I put everything up one-by-one as I use it. Not sure why I do that. If I forget to lay something out, it annoys me.

I still wear the same scratched-up glasses I've worn for 20+ years, even though the prescription has changed twice, and even though I have two other perfectly good pairs. The old pair fits like a comfy old pair of tennis shoes.

My sleeves must come all the way down to my elbows, if not further. I can't stand for my flubbery upper arms to show even a peek.
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

I won't leave the house unless the beds are made and the dishes done.

I was a bank teller so have all my notes facing the one way. I hate wrinkled and dirty notes.

I'm fussy about where I park my car in a car park. When I'm driving my car the doors are always locked.

That's all I can think of now but I'm sure there are more.

These don't sound like quirky habits. I think they are the right way to do things, especially since it is my way! And I'm not OCD, I am CDO because the letter should be in alphabetical order. LOL!!

My husband says I am the only one he knows who eats corn around the cob rather than across the cob. Lets take a poll to see how you ear yours. Thanks
    Dutchgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    My husband says I am the only one he knows who eats corn around the cob rather than across the cob. Lets take a poll to see how you ear yours. Thanks
    I also eat around.. I don't know if I have any quirky habits anymore. Mostly there is not much I think is that important anymore except maybe the toilet paper. gotta roll down the front and yes I have changed it for others so it was right! lol
    I had a friend though that I loved messing with. She set all her supplement bottles on her dresser lined up by size , height and all the labels faced out perfectly.(i moved them everytime ) She also separated her clean money and her dirty money. Even after 15 yrs she hasn't really lived that one down.

I don't think my habits are quirky, as every one has a very good reason behind it. Here are a few that dh thinks is weird . . . but I know most of you will understand!

I have my own tube of toothpaste. Reason - it grosses me out, to find the toothpaste left open . . . or worse, WET, under the cap!

I have my own set of tools. If you borrow them, you'd better ask first, return them CLEAN and to the exact spot you found them!

My clothes hamper is MINE. Put your dirty clothes into your own hamper . . . and you'd BETTER not hang your wet towel over mine!!!!!

I'm another, whose pillow is strictly off-limits to sharing and TP must roll off, from the top.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Well now I'm beginning to feel pretty sane. I also count everything. Steps, times I shake a bottle, clothing as I put it away...Hate soggy bread-won't eat it and also tilt my plate. Most of the time I just fold up a napkin and put it on my plate like a dam between soggy area and other food. I wish I couldn't leave the house till beds are made and the dishes done. But then I might never leave the house!

I thought of another one. Jan you may enjoy this! Once I put ice cubes in my cup with soda or water or... I have to stir the cup so everything gets cold evenly.

When I play cards, I have to straighten the discard pile all the time to keep it neat.

If anyone writes on a paper that I'm writing on, I have to start all over on a new sheet.

I also don't answer the phone when I don't want to, even if it's my kids! I figure the phone is there as a convenience to me, not to make me a slave to it.

When my daughter was young, she wouldn't let any food touch another on her plate also. So the spaghetti sauce was separate from the noodles, the curry separate from the rice, no topping on ice cream. And heaven forbid if anyone put condiments on a sandwich! I finally got her to eat food on top of rice or noodles. However she won't eat salad at all because you have to put dressing on it, still doesn't eat condiments on sandwiches. BTW she is 32. Now she has a daughter who won't eat vegetables, fruit or most meats. I say it is karma!

I wish I was more orderly and neat than I am. I'd rather quilt. That doesn't stop me from stressing all the time when I see messes, stacks etc!
    http://q-nonnie.blogspot.com

I have this rope in my hands. I can't figure out whether I found a rope or lost my horse.

from what I've read already for what has posted, they fit me too.

also...........your little by-line about your rope and horse. I bought this sign at "Runnings" (a farm fleet type store) and it hangs at my desk. But it says, I'm so BUSY that I DON'T KNOW IF i FOUND A ROPE OR LOST MY HORSE.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

Blog Entries
    I cannot stand it if the bed's top sheet on the bed is folded or pushed under the blankets, at all. Seriously, the top sheet must cover the blankets, comforter, whatever! It will wake me up when my DH shoves the sheet down and just pulls up the spread. Summertime is the worst!

My biggest quirk is that I cannot stand to have music playing somewhere while the t.v. is on. Or two different sets of music going at the same time anywhere! Driving is fine but once I stop and my windows are down, I've been known to CRANK Vivaldi to drown out someone else's nasty music or rap-crap. Can't sleep with music on either! My brain just has to pay attention to it and will NOT shut down.
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

I like the toilet paper on the roll so it comes from the top, bills should face the right way, I wish dh would keep his hands off my tools since he doesn't have the slightest urge to take care of what he uses or replace it where he found it. Can't stand looking at a sliced tomato or anything else with slushy seeds in it, though I will eat precut/seeds removed cantalope. Hate talking on the phone. Will spend hours working on a design, then go to sleep and dream about making it step by step by step, when I get up, I'm already tired of it. Won't give a darn about the cost on some items and be cheap as heck about spending on others.
    Last edited by jeaninmaine; 07-11-2012 at 08:58 AM.

When I go grocery shopping I have to park in the row straight out from the exit. Imagine the problem I had when I went into a new to me store and did not realize they had 2 exits!

Beds must be made daily or sheets have to be changed. Dishwasher must be loaded from the back to the front.

I want all the mail opened with my letter opener before I deal with anything in the envelopes. And - I stack them largest to smallest before doing that.
    I got fabric.... Now I need time .
    Theresa

Talking

Before going to bed I have to brush my teeth (normal), put lotion on my hands and brush my hair. DH cannot understand why I want to brush my hair before getting in bed. I don't have long hair, but just seems right to brush it before getting into bed. Always have to have a Koozie on my can of diet coke - keeps my hands dry for stitching. Eat my corn on the cob length-wise. Love reading this post!
    Sophie2

I also brush my hair before bed, it just feels better. What a mess when I get up though!

The toilet paper and paper towels have to be placed so they roll from the top down! I've been known to rearrange these at my daughter's and friend's houses...so pathetic!
    When my DD was still living at home, she & I would nearly wear the rolls out, switching them around. She likes them like you do -- I like the opposite. I also turn the labels on my cans out. And do the egg thing so they're balanced in the carton. And I also stack my pans (& my dishes) by size.

You want weird? I take my glasses off when I go to the bathroom. I have no idea why. I just do.

I flip my folded towels so one fold is on one side & the next towel, the fold is opposite it (does that make sense?). I don't think of that as odd (tho everyone else around me does) -- I think of it as handy because then the stack is even. If you put all the folds on one side, the side is higher than the other side & doesn't fit on the shelf evenly.

Really, I have so many little tics/quirks that mine alone could be their own thread here on the board... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Oh, & someone mentioned writing on paper. I get TOTALLY nuts over writing on paper. If I make a mistake, I throw the paper out & start all over (even if it's just a grocery list). Same if my pen runs out of ink & I have to switch pens. I won't use paper is there's something on the other side of it. I use a piece of lined paper inside an envelope when I address it so my writing on the envelope is straight.

The more I read of this post (& agree with pretty much everyone says... I'm the same about the sheet/blanket dilemma tho I go one step further... my top sheet has to be put on print side down so when I fold the sheet back over the quilt, the print shows & not the wrong side), the weirder I think I am. DH has always commented (not negatively, just observing) on all my weird habits & I think I finally see that I'm not normal... LOL!

And don't even get me started on all the weird things I do when I eat (but unlike someone else on this thread, I have to eat my corn around instead of long)!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I like them to roll that way also because they roll quickly and tear off nicely. I refrain from re arrangine anyone else's.

I do also 'balance the eggs in the carton', seems like a sensible idea.

Solved the problem of top sheets pushed down, as that's what my DH and sons always did as they didn't like the top sheet. I only use a fitted bottom sheet and a quilt which also saves doing laundry. I think most of my pet peeves or odd habits are just sensible ones, like I keep my money by together by amount, dollar bills, 5's etc., but they can face anyway they like. It's just easier to find the right amount of money when I want to pay for something.
    Last edited by May in Jersey; 07-11-2012 at 01:21 PM.

I didn't think I had that many, but I see a lot of them repeated here, lol! The thing about the canned goods, though, I put mine on the shelf backwards or upside down just to see how long it will take hubby to come & fix them

This one I don't understand,
    "This last one drives my family crazy because I won't fix supper if the sink is full of dishes".
    Won't there be more dishes after you have eaten supper?
    '

I only like bread the first day I buy it. It has to be really fresh. If I get roast beef at the meat market, I only eat it the first day. After that I won't eat it. Years ago I would go nuts if the bed wasn't made when I got home from work. My husband worked nights I worked days and I felt like the whole house was a mess if the bed wasn't made. Today I go for days without making the bed.
    Marilyn

I have some quirky habits too!! I always 'pat' the clothes after I've folded them. I also will not start cooking until the dishes are clean and out of the sink...they can be in the drainer but cant have dirty dishes in the sink.
    when we go out of town I reclean the hotel room before I even bring my luggage in and always put a 'do not disturb sign'.
    Always throw my change in my purse coins mostly but sometimes bills. It's always a surprise how much money I find when I clean my purse!!! When I was dating my husband we went to walmart and asked me to get his wallet and pay for something so I took a 20 and just stuck the change back in however the guy handed it to me. His eyes opened wide and he said "what are you doing?" He took his wallet and proceded to put all his bills in order and said "that's how to put money away!" I immediately thought 'can I marry this man?' So many rules!!!!! 17 years later we still differ on many things....but are happily married! (in spite of HIS quirky habits!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie View Post
    Okay I admit it, I have quirky habits.

I hate to turn off music in the middle of a song.
    If music is on, I can't turn it off when I'm going to take a shower.

When I'm pouring something, usually food, into a container I pour in the amount I want then stop and pour in just a little bit more.

I arrange my eggs in the carton so that they are balanced. The reasoning is that I don't want to pull it out and flip it up or down because the weight is all at the front or back.

Okay, confession time!

What quirky habits do you have?
    The egg thing -I hate cleaning them off the floor.I can't stand anything thats sticky or slimy I will knock people down to get to the sink to wash it off-way yukky-My fridge has to be just so. And back when i went to the laudro-mat my dirty's were sorted and folded before leaving the house.

Oh I forgot, I passionately hate to get my hands dirty, blue disposable rubber gloves go on before I do anything that's messy. Yellow rubber gloves for cleaning and dishwashing. This is silly considering what a slob I am when it comes to housekeeping. Ahhh, there's my excuse I didn't want to dirty up my hands. LOL
    Last edited by jeaninmaine; 07-11-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast