Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Raise your hand!

Raise your hand!

Okay, who has had enough of this unrelenting heat and drought? May I go on record that somebody kick me square in the caboose if I complain of snow and cold this winter. If I thought for a minute that this was the rule and not the exception, I'd be starting a central AC fund installation immediately.

Blog Entries
    Boy, you couldn't live here without AC's. We have people who die from the heat. Supposed to be 107 today. That's hot. Lots of poor guys on black tar-paper putting on new roofs. Don't know how they do that.

I'll raise my hand. I'd had enough a month ago. And I never complain about the cold--I can always put more clothes on, but I can only strip down so far (and still be somewhat decent).

Blog Entries
    This heat is really getting old!! The humidity is too. Usually get maybe two weeeks of this in late August, and it's over. But, no, not this year. My hand is up and waving!!!

I'll volunteer to kick you in the caboose if you complain about cold and snow this winter. Or if we get snow before Nov. at least here -maybe not if you get it -how far north are you? Ok just Googled you town, you will probably have snow soon enough and I promise not to envy you when you get it.
    We have had record number of 90 Plus degree days this summer, I think our weather man reported that there were 28 days in July with temps of 90 or above. I'm living in a house with no A/C. But the one good thing about it being dry is the heat isn't as bad when it is dry as the heat is when it is humid and muggy, much more miserable then. But all the other things about it being dry are not good, like drought for crops, plants, rivers and lakes, etc. Maybe without ac the body gets accustom to it better than going in and out of ac all the time. I don't mind the snow, or temps around 30 degrees, but then it starts to melt and refreeze and walks and roads are icy, yuck and below 0 is no fun either, and the house is cold, and hard to do things with gloves on.
    This is why I try to enjoy each season or at least accept it. In the winter I tell myself remember when summer is here it will be hot, and now sitting in front of a fan I say to myself, appreciate the heat while you have it. And when it gets too bad I go to the library, dollar theater, or find a large store to walk around in, even if I only need one or two things.
    Spring and fall are probably the most popular seasons for the less extremes they have.

PS put a nice cold snow scene up for your wallpaper on your desktop and then go watch March of the Penguins. Maybe that will help.

We have been so fortunate to have gotten about 5" of rain in the past 10 days, after terrible heat and no rain. Our yards and crops are doing their best to bounce back! Yes, it has been the longest summer of my life. I would never move south unless my thermometer changes drastically. We are always warm enough with our wood heat and furnace, have AC, too, but would rather enjoy the outside air, if I could.

I wanted to go to a real good craft show this week-end, but I think I'll pass as the temps are in the mid-90's. Bummer. What do I need? Of course, nothing!!
    jillnjo

Glad I can count on you for the caboose kicking Starshine! We have had snow before Halloween on more than one occasion in the central NY region. I too love the seasonal changes but this has been too, too much. I just don't feel well in all this heat. This too shall pass, however! Could reach close to 100 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    I'll volunteer to kick you in the caboose if you complain about cold and snow this winter. Or if we get snow before Nov. at least here -maybe not if you get it -how far north are you? Ok just Googled you town, you will probably have snow soon enough and I promise not to envy you when you get it.
    We have had record number of 90 Plus degree days this summer, I think our weather man reported that there were 28 days in July with temps of 90 or above. I'm living in a house with no A/C. But the one good thing about it being dry is the heat isn't as bad when it is dry as the heat is when it is humid and muggy, much more miserable then. But all the other things about it being dry are not good, like drought for crops, plants, rivers and lakes, etc. Maybe without ac the body gets accustom to it better than going in and out of ac all the time. I don't mind the snow, or temps around 30 degrees, but then it starts to melt and refreeze and walks and roads are icy, yuck and below 0 is no fun either, and the house is cold, and hard to do things with gloves on.
    This is why I try to enjoy each season or at least accept it. In the winter I tell myself remember when summer is here it will be hot, and now sitting in front of a fan I say to myself, appreciate the heat while you have it. And when it gets too bad I go to the library, dollar theater, or find a large store to walk around in, even if I only need one or two things.
    Spring and fall are probably the most popular seasons for the less extremes they have.

I'm sick, and tired of the heat.. I do not do well in the summer.. I've messed up my knee so bad that eventually it will be replaced, all because of the snow.. We are talking dislocating, tearing etc on the slopes.. and slipping on the ice last year.. breaking my knee cap, tearing it up some more, and dislocating.. I'll still take the cold, snow, and ice any day of the week, vs. the heat..
    I HATE IT..

We have had a shower every afternoon all week and it is very humid. Welcome to Pennsylvania!!

We have had thunderstorms this past week, but not nearly enough rain. Of course this is monsoon season for the desert so the thunderstorms are welcome. Our temp this week is supposed to go up to 107 so the a/c will definitely be doing it's job. I can really sympathize with all of you who live where the humidity is high and the temps are too. Don't think I could take that.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Quote Originally Posted by jbud2 View Post
    We have had a shower every afternoon all week and it is very humid. Welcome to Pennsylvania!!
    Please send some up here to Western New York, PLEASE!!!
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Im raising my hand too. I absolutely hate the heat. Its 6:15pm at its 106 degrees outside. The older I get ,the less tolerable I am.
    SUEB

I'm in Texas and you CAN cook an egg on the hood of your vehicle. We have 100 + days for a month now and it's just the beginning of August. It does not start to cool down until late September or early October. I feel for you that have multitudes of snow. Our winters are cold but we never get much snow.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

"Hand up"--I've always disliked summer--please give me hoodie weather(fall) and snow!

Was 112 here in the middle of Oklahoma. Supposed to get up to 110 tomorrow. Right now there are terrible bush fires that are being fought in three different spots in Oklahoma. Parts of I40 are closed. I think my roses are not going to make it, although I water. Have had the Peace rose for over 26 years and the climber, tea rose is looking really bad. hate to lose that one, mom gave it to me, telling me it wouldn't climb. LOL
    Everyone keep cool.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

We are very dry here in southeastern Oklahoma and several weekends ago we got some good rain. The rain came just in time to give our hay meadows a good soaking, so when they were cut and baled, they made more hay than usual. The Saturday that it rained we had lightening strike in the middle of our meadow by our house just before rain started. It was very windy that day and if it had not rained I hate to think of the damage that would have been done. Luckily it only burned about a 10 ft diameter area before it started to rain.

Our govenor has issued a statewide burn ban. But we still have to worry about dry lightening and fires started by using brush hogs and other equipment.
    Linda

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Well, I'm sitting on MY hands.
    I do not do well in the colder, shorter months. To me cold hurts, heat is (just) uncomfortable. But I live where I can pretty much run around in a tank top and panties all day long inside and keep the AC set at 78.

Leave me the heat and sun any day over cold, less sun, and dampness!!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    michigan has been super dry also. the field corn is just dying. and no one has a garden unless they watered it. spring really came 2 months early here, and some of us jumped the gun and put the garden in early. so most of it is done, cause i have put up enough. still have tomatoes to can. just received the lst rain in a month. until then, my lawn was brown, and i hadn't mowed in a month. supposedly it's the dryest since the dust bowl.

It was 112 in central Oklahoma today. Weatherman is forecasting a cold front on Sunday...temperature will be 99 degrees. Ready for fall!!!

I read a report that said the heat could continue into Oct. here. UGH. both hands up.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Here in Oklahoma, heat up to 113 deg. and fires every where. Wednesday night at our choir practice we started Christmas music! Did not help much, but we got a good laugh. My grandson is a heating and a/c tech and is working on the roofs of many buildings. Praying for him and others who suffer the heat to keep us comfortable!

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    Boy, you couldn't live here without AC's. We have people who die from the heat. Supposed to be 107 today. That's hot. Lots of poor guys on black tar-paper putting on new roofs. Don't know how they do that.
    I lived in AZ. The hottest it got was 127 degrees one summer. When anyone was roofing in the summer they started at 4:30 a.m. and worked until about 9 or 10 a.m. That was about all you could handle on a roof.

My hubby and I had a large stand-up halogen worklight assembly. We'd set it up in our backyard about 10:30p.m. sometimes and mow the lawn. We had a large lot and the neighbors weren't that close.

I used to go for a 3 mile walk every morning. I left the house as soon as it was light enough to see the pavement (between 4 and 4:30 a.m.) and got home about an hour later, just about the time the sun came over the mountains East of our house.

Makes you wonder how our forefathers ( and mothers!) made it without AC and all the clothing they had to wear!

I will also raise my hand !!!!!!! This is our first year of retirement and our second summer living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We have a new home with wonderful air conditioning, Thank goodness. As my name states, I am a "Dakota
    Girl" Born and raised in North Dakota, I grew up with VERY cold winters and lots of snow. How I wish I could plop down in
    a good three day blizzard, right now. Yes, you can always add more clothing and we certainly did. Last week our children from San Francisco were here to visit. My grandchildren twins age 3 (boy and girl) and their 14 month old baby sister
    spent most of the day "nudie" in our back yard playing in the water. Some of us joined in.......clothed of course.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast