Raise your hand!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 AM

Just gotta ask....what is a swamp cooler?

Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
Well, it's going to be 112 here today. Granted no humidity, but we will be getting monsoons soon and it will be very humid. It only gets down to 80 degrees at night. Thank goodness for swamp coolers (until, of course, we get the monsoons). Even though it is 81 in my house when I get home from work at night with the cooler running on high all day. Luckily I have dual cooling (swamp and refrigeration), but the electric bill keeps me from running the AC for more than a couple hours at night to cool it down enough to fall asleep. We won't see cool weather until well into October. The joke here is "don't go away for a long weekend or you will miss Spring and Fall".
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Also called evaporative (or evap) coolers. It is a LARGE metal box with a huge drum inside. One side is completely open and has various types of pads that have water running down them constantly. The drum pulls air through the wet pads and forces it inside the house through your ductwork. They work wonderfully when there is no humidity, but not when the humidity gets up at all. And they only cool about 20% lower than the outside air temp. So pretty much useless when the temperature hits 110 or more.

I actually turned on my AC last night, but after about 2 hours it was hotter than when I turned it on. So it looks like I will be calling an AC repairman soon. Thank God for the swamp.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
Also called evaporative (or evap) coolers. It is a LARGE metal box with a huge drum inside. One side is completely open and has various types of pads that have water running down them constantly. The drum pulls air through the wet pads and forces it inside the house through your ductwork. They work wonderfully when there is no humidity, but not when the humidity gets up at all. And they only cool about 20% lower than the outside air temp. So pretty much useless when the temperature hits 110 or more.

I actually turned on my AC last night, but after about 2 hours it was hotter than when I turned it on. So it looks like I will be calling an AC repairman soon. Thank God for the swamp.
No wonder I had never heard of the swamp cooler. Living in the northeast there's too much humidity for them to be useful. Thanks for the explanation. Nice to learn something new each day!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
Does your electric co. have a budget plan. I'm on that--same amount all year. It is adjusted annually. Same for gas bill. Makes it much easier to plan my monthly budget.
We'd never thought about it before. Like I said, this is so NOT like our usual bill. But if it keeps up, I can see budge plan in my future! Is everybody else's as crazy as ours?
Old 08-10-2012, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
I wonder if it's what we used to call a water cooler. Or, when we lived in FL (which was a swamp), we had a heat exchanger instead of an AC so maybe it's that. As long as it keeps you at least semi-cool...