Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: Rating/feedback system. Need your input.

  1. #1
    Administrator Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    8
    Not a long time ago one person contacted me about a purchase she made from another user on the board.

    She wanted to find out if there is a way to post some sort of feedback about the seller to let others know that the transaction went smoothly and that the seller delivered everything as promised.

    This got me thinking about implementing a rating/feedback system for users.

    It wouldn't be limited only to selling and buying. The system would also include swaps, trading and pretty much any kind of transaction that occurs between two people.

    For example, a buyer would post if the quality/quantity of delivered merchandise was satisfactory. And the seller would post if the payment was prompt.

    With swaps, the counterparties would post feedback for each other acknowledging that the trading partner has fulfilled her end of the agreement.

    And so on.

    All feedback would be displayed in user's profile. So anyone thinking about buying/selling/trading with another user would be able to see the experience other people had when dealing with that person.

    What do you think? Is there a need for such system?

  2. #2
    Super Member bebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    3,066
    I like the idea!!!! :thumbup: :-D

    I have purchased a bum deal before but what to do :thumbdown:

  3. #3
    Super Member QBeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    1,467
    Yes, it would be good, but I cringed when I saw this post.

    Admin - I'd put in BIG letters that YOU have no control over the ratings, etc.

    Other than that, I'd ask how it would be handled if some petty/malicious person tried to deep six someone? Although I really enjoy and think highly of the people on this Board, and quilter in general, we are human and bad eggs show up now and then.

    However, I applaud the idea!

  4. #4
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have to say that my first reaction to this idea was negative for the reasons given above; I see that the motives are good and in an ideal world, all feedback would be honest but there is the possibility that some members would abuse this facility to get at other members.

    Also, sometimes with swaps things go wrong through no fault of the person involved - life gets in the way and I'd hate to see someone bad mouthed for not delivering when they had an as yet undisclosed valid reason for the tardiness. An apology could be issued of course but mud sticks as they say. :hunf:

    If I were you, I wouldn't. :-)

  5. #5
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    Would this put Admin in the position of listening to and settling rating arguments? Anything that can be perceived as "points" seems to cause disputes around here.

  6. #6
    Super Member LovingIzabella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,063
    Part of the great thing about quilters is that they generally tend to be an honest group of people and with that comes an honor code of sorts.
    If someone is unhappy with a block or a classified item we as adults should be able to work it out amongst ourselves without publicizing to other quilters.
    My opinion on a rating system for whatever it is worth is this:
    Everyone's opinion here of "quality" fabric or "quality" work may be different and sometimes is even based on economical factors. Everybody started somewhere and has learned along the way what good workmanship and good quality fabric was with help and guidance from others. I feel if we institute a feedback system someone who is new to the quilting world may become discouraged if they send a block that isn't up to someone else's standards and that would be hurtful.
    The best way to help people grow is to explain to them why something could be better not rate them on it.
    This is just my two cents...
    Hugs
    April

  7. #7
    Administrator Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    8
    Other than that, I'd ask how it would be handled if some petty/malicious person tried to deep six someone?
    I'm worried about such possibility too.

    I guess that since both parties would be able to leave feedback for each other, it should work as a deterrent for leaving comments in bad faith.

    Of course, that raises the issue of someone asking to delete the other person's comments without deleting theirs.

    I guess the main idea is not about negative comments, but about the presence of positive comments. So that people could "build up" their history.

    Kind of like "good credit "vs. "no credit" instead of "good credit" vs. "bad credit".

  8. #8
    MNQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
    Part of the great thing about quilters is that they generally tend to be an honest group of people and with that comes an honor code of sorts.
    If someone is unhappy with a block or a classified item we as adults should be able to work it out amongst ourselves without publicizing to other quilters.
    My opinion on a rating system for whatever it is worth is this:
    Everyone's opinion here of "quality" fabric or "quality" work may be different and sometimes is even based on economical factors. Everybody started somewhere and has learned along the way what good workmanship and good quality fabric was with help and guidance from others. I feel if we institute a feedback system someone who is new to the quilting world may become discouraged if they send a block that isn't up to someone else's standards and that would be hurtful.
    The best way to help people grow is to explain to them why something could be better not rate them on it.
    This is just my two cents...
    Hugs
    April
    I agree and I also think it may discourage people who can't afford to shop at an LQS from participating in a swap because their fabric isn't of the same quality as some. I know we all try to make sure we use the best we can afford but we are all in differetn places. I think the idea is a good one, maybe we could just keep it to the sales portion.

  9. #9
    MNQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    Other than that, I'd ask how it would be handled if some petty/malicious person tried to deep six someone?
    I'm worried about such possibility too.

    I guess that since both parties would be able to leave feedback for each other, it should work as a deterrent for leaving comments in bad faith.

    Of course, that raises the issue of someone asking to delete the other person's comments without deleting theirs.

    I guess the main idea is not about negative comments, but about the presence of positive comments. So that people could "build up" their history.

    Kind of like "good credit "vs. "no credit" instead of "good credit" vs. "bad credit".
    The problem is, would these ratings be anonymous? You may not know who gave you a stinky review, especially some of the people thinning out their stash who have sold fabric to a ton of people all around the same time.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ladygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    344
    I don't like the idea. I think too many issues would come of it, as said above. Instead, maybe make a spot for 'personal comments', not necessarily selling/trading based, where people who have had good experiences can simply leave a thanks?

    I had more on the thought, but it went out the window a minute ago...

  11. #11
    Senior Member ladygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by MNQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
    Part of the great thing about quilters is that they generally tend to be an honest group of people and with that comes an honor code of sorts.
    If someone is unhappy with a block or a classified item we as adults should be able to work it out amongst ourselves without publicizing to other quilters.
    My opinion on a rating system for whatever it is worth is this:
    Everyone's opinion here of "quality" fabric or "quality" work may be different and sometimes is even based on economical factors. Everybody started somewhere and has learned along the way what good workmanship and good quality fabric was with help and guidance from others. I feel if we institute a feedback system someone who is new to the quilting world may become discouraged if they send a block that isn't up to someone else's standards and that would be hurtful.
    The best way to help people grow is to explain to them why something could be better not rate them on it.
    This is just my two cents...
    Hugs
    April
    I agree and I also think it may discourage people who can't afford to shop at an LQS from participating in a swap because their fabric isn't of the same quality as some. I know we all try to make sure we use the best we can afford but we are all in differetn places. I think the idea is a good one, maybe we could just keep it to the sales portion.
    Yeah. If it was just kept to the sales, that would be better... I just don't like the idea of someone not appreciating what as received in a swap, and posting negatively over it.

  12. #12
    Administrator Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    8
    The problem is, would these ratings be anonymous?
    Nope. Something like iTrader or eBay feedback system.

    But as I posted above, I'm now thinking of some setup where people would be accumulating good reviews. Not a collection of both good and bad reviews.

    So if someone had a bad experience dealing with you, they wouldn't be able to post negative stuff.

    On the other had, if they liked everything, then they can post something positive as a way to "vouch" for you.

  13. #13
    Administrator Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    8
    I just don't like the idea of someone not appreciating what as received in a swap, and posting negatively over it.

    Hmm. That's a valid point.

    But let's say we don't allow any negative comments and keep it as a collection of positive feedback.

    Wouldn't it help to differentiate users who've participated in many swaps and "proven" that they are reliable and take their responsibilities seriously?

  14. #14
    Super Member Quilt Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Headed home
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    The problem is, would these ratings be anonymous?
    Nope. Something like iTrader or eBay feedback system.

    But as I posted above, I'm now thinking of some setup where people would be accumulating good reviews. Not a collection of both good and bad reviews.

    So if someone had a bad experience dealing with you, they wouldn't be able to post negative stuff.

    On the other had, if they liked everything, then they can post something positive as a way to "vouch" for you.
    Thank you for shifting this to a 'positive only' idea. I do not think including negative responses is appropriate. That should be handled between the people involved.

    One of the things that drew me to this board is the (almost) complete lack of negative feedback. Comments are made that build others up, even when correcting a mistake. Let's please keep it that way.

  15. #15
    user3587's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    404
    This is turning in to ebay the only thing you need now is the auction part, all I wanted when I found this forum was to share my passion for quilting, I don't need all the bells and whistles for that. As long as we don't sell or buy we don't have to worry about this feed back correct?

  16. #16
    Administrator Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    8
    As long as we don't sell or buy we don't have to worry about this feed back correct?
    Yep.

  17. #17
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just wanted to say that I agree with keeping it to positive comments only and limited to commercial transactions. That would wipe all my negative reactions in my earlier post away. :-D

  18. #18
    Administrator Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    8
    k3n, can you explain your reasons against including swaps in the feedback system? Assuming it's only for positive comments.

  19. #19
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    I like the idea of no negative or petty feedback, but I have a question. How do you distinguish between someone who has no comments because he/she had never participated in a swap/buy/sell situation before and one who has no positive comments because of bad experiences (as in "No Credit" vs "Bad Credit")?

  20. #20
    Administrator Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    8
    Without the negative option, there isn't a way to distinguish between "no credit" and "bad credit".

    But I think if a person participates in plenty of swaps and leaves every single counterparty upset, that person would be "outed" pretty quickly via PM and other means.

    I'm sure people would talk. So I don't think adding a feedback system would change anything in this regard.

  21. #21
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    I'm thinking the feedback system could backfire on some.

  22. #22
    Administrator Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    8
    I'm thinking the feedback system could backfire on some.
    Even if only positive transactions are listed? How?

  23. #23
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    If someone was known to participate regularly in swaps but received no feedback wouldn't this be tantamount to negative feedback? I just think that when someone sells something then the duty of care and giving value for money puts them in a position where they must deliver or face the consequences. Even if this is a one off sale. In a swap, as has been said, one person's acceptable level of work may be unacceptable to another; if that person is very active in swaps and NEVER receives good feedback, this would be obvious to all. I really think that swaps, Round Robins etc are more of a 'friendly' thing and should remain in a different 'spirit' for want of a better word, to commercial transaction where you pay X and you get Y. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say, I didn't take my articulate pill this morning, apparently! :mrgreen:

  24. #24
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    I have heard rants in the chat room where a member had received blocks they deemed "inferior". In other swaps, members have dropped out after getting their yearly share, but left others without. Tempers run pretty high. Adding a permanent record could lead to a lot of mistrust and division.

    I believe if anyone is spending more money than they can afford to lose, they should ask all questions up front, and get a tracking number when items are shipped. Deal with people you "know". Do not rely on copied photos from a website, but make sure you see what is and is not included in the sale, and do not enter into it if you do not feel comfortable. Some things that would make me decline a deal - prices to good to be true on luxury machines, no address information (either displayed from profile or as "shipped from wherever" ), no posting history except ads, and not abiding by the posting rules for that section. They are so plain, it would be hard not to see them!

    I think at this point, admin, that you need to think of your mission statement and decide whether the site is for education, social, or commercial purposes. If you want it to end up a selling site, go for it. If not, then save yourself the headaches that are sure to come as soon as someone gets a black mark.

  25. #25
    Administrator Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    8
    If not, then save yourself the headaches that are sure to come as soon as someone gets a black mark.
    Yep. I'm beginning to think a feedback system would add more problems than it would solve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.