Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
read any good books? chergram >

read any good books? chergram

read any good books? chergram

Old 02-26-2018, 06:31 AM

Frank Lee Burke is fantastic but not if you like girly romance,
Old 02-26-2018, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

The last book I read was A Redbird Christmas, by Fannie Flagg. It's not really a Christmas story.... It was so great. I enjoyed it so much.

One of my favorite books of all time is Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani (sp?). It's a wonderful story that had me crying in places. You will love it if you like the fashion industry and New York in the 1950's.

I can't stand romance novels, or anything so predictable that you can see where it's going ahead of time. I consider those "fluff" and not worthy of my time!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:51 AM

The Glass Castle is my all time favorite book!! My DH overheard me recommend this book so many times he decided to read it for himself, he could barely put it down.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:59 AM

A quilting novel---The Persian Pickle Club is on my list.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 AM

I just finished the most wonderful book, "Love Saves the Day" by Gwen Cooper. It's about the relationship between a mother and daughter, with part of the book being narrated by the mother's cat (who becomes the daughter's cat after her mom passes away). I thought it was so beautiful, and having lost my mom... well, let's just say I spent the last 20% of the book sobbing next to a box of tissues. I read on Kindle and was able to get the e-book through library loan.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:34 AM

Ruth Ware (Lying Game, Woman in Cabin 10, In a Dark, Dark Wood), Frederick Backman (MY Grandmother Told E to Tell You She's Sorry) The Storied Life of AJ Fikry, Robert B. Parker (wrote the books that the Spenser series was based on and the Jesse Stone series- Tom Selleck was the character in the tv movies). If you like humor, Laurie Notaro, Christopher Moore (his writing is very twisted, but then, so is my sense of humor) Lisa Boyer (quilting humor - That Dorky Homemade Look and Stash Envy). Historical fiction..Phillippa Gregory. British Mystery: Elizabeth George. Sci-fi.. Orson Scott Card author, Also like Lisa Gardner, Lisa Scottoline, Tami Hoeg, HarlanCoben.

I also loved all of Kristen Hannah's books.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

It depends on what you like.
I don't care for series books.
I loved The Glass Castle- that is a great memoir.
I read a lot of things but not fantasy, sci-fi, or romance.
Love memoirs if it's someone I like. Love the classics, and good fiction.
Also love true crime in small doses.
Some authors I like-- Elizabeth Berg, Anna Quindlen, Diane Chamberlain, Rick Bragg, Pat Conroy, John Irving (A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my favorite books) there are so many more!! I devour books either on audio or print.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

The Fredrik Backman books are good. He has really quirky characters.

I adore Southern writers- Rick Bragg, Lee Smith, so many more.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 AM

So many books, so little time ... and then add quilting time and come spring, there's gardening calling, leaving little time for cooking, housecleaning and laundry. What's a woman to do.

I fell in love with curmedgeon Ove, and The Glass Castle brought insight and hope for those suffering from mental illness. Bill O'Reilly was a favorite author who led me to read more biographies ... that was until I learned about his treatment of co-workers and women. John Grisham has always been a favorite too, opening my interests in his subjects (strip mining in the West Virginia coal mines, stealing of art, etc). Then there are the quilting books with so many ideas. Who can't go on and on about books and authors?
Old 02-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I loved A Man Called Ove. I love talking about books. I really need to join a book club. I read more than anything else.
I keep coming back to this thread
The only book I read of O'Reilly's was Killing Kennedy but I didn't learn anything new in that one. Maybe younger people would though. I'm not a fan of his but thought maybe I would learn more about that event.