Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
read any good books? chergram >

read any good books? chergram

read any good books? chergram

Old 02-26-2018, 05:11 PM

Julia Grant and Madame Jule. (historical fiction).
Old 02-26-2018, 09:09 PM

Jack Kline's new noir' detective novel BUT NOT FOR ME; any James Lee Burke;any John LeCarre'; Paul Diorn's series about a Maine game warden (start with the first), C.J. Box; Laura Linney's and so many others!
Old 02-27-2018, 06:13 AM

One of my favorites is "Alice's Tulips" set during the civil war but not about the battle field. And I love Norah Lofts, one of my most liked is "How Far to Bethlehem?". It is how the people, the kings, the shepherds, got to the manager.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 AM

I have been reading the series by James S A Corey. It is the books that inspired the "Expanse" on Netflix. I love all the Carol OConnell mysteries. Nora Roberts is always a favorite. Not much on the romance genre but I periodically get something by Danielle Steele. Elizabeth George and her Inspector Lynley series is wonderful.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:23 AM

I am reading the Poldark series by Winston Graham. There are 12 books in the series, I am halfway through the third, the next two are on the way.

Also reading the Mass Effect series by Drew Karpyshyn and William C. Dietz. The books follow the story line of the video game series by the same name.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 02-27-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:56 AM

I"m currently re-reading Mary Stewart's "This Rough Magic" and thoroughly enjoying it. My favorites are mysteries and suspense with a smattering of biographies thrown in.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:39 PM

Just read Peety & Me. Story of a dog and a man who saved each other. Very touching, funny, heartbreaking and inspiring. Also love John Sandford. Just got Deep Freeze. Sandford is the author of the "Prey" novels with the main character, Lucas Davenport. Deep Freeze features Virgil Flowers, an officer in the Minnesota Dept of Criminal Investigation and a cohort of Davenport. The "problem" with Sandford's books is that once you start reading you can't put the book down.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:34 PM

My reading is a lot like SusieQOH's, so she's saved me some typing. I also occasionally like historical books, and just read one I really appreciated, Lincoln's Men: The President and His Private Secretaries by Daniel Mark Epstein. I've always read a lot of non-fiction and also like short stories, occasionally, such as the series, Best Short Stories of [whatever year]. Since I signed up for BookBub I have been somewhat more adventuresome because if a title costs a couple of dollars or less and has interesting reviews, I will add it to my Kindle thinking it might be something I'll try. Some have been duds, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Some have been lucky finds, the kind that will make me laugh out loud and wake my poor long-suffering DH, because I'm a lifelong nightowl who reads in bed.

I used to belong to a book club and loved our little group, which varied over the years but usually stayed around a dozen, all women. We met monthly and shared hosting duties. Since our move I have hesitated to get involved with another because the downside is that most books worth discussing will involve some controversy and people do tend to find out your politics, religious beliefs and the like. These days that can be downright uncomfortable. The other downside is that I have so many books in the house and on the Kindle that I want to read and haven't gotten around to yet, that reading what someone else picked seems like getting sidetracked.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:58 AM

I just finished "So Much for That" by Lionel Shriver and I highly recommend it.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
The other downside is that I have so many books in the house and on the Kindle that I want to read and haven't gotten around to yet, that reading what someone else picked seems like getting sidetracked.
That's always been the reason I didn't join a book club. I have so many books I really want to read that who wants to read what other's prefer just so you can discuss it?

That's always been my problem with quilt and sewing guild "challenges". I prefer to work my own way and not have to spend time doing something that someone else thinks will "inspire" you. I usually just end up frustrated that I'm spending time doing this when I could be doing something I enjoy. I used to belong to a wearable arts guild that insisted that you participate in their challenge. I currently have 2 challenge garments hanging in my closet that I made while a member of that guild. Each has been worn once. It was a huge waste of time, energy and money.