read a good book lately?

Old 05-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by MOBRIDGE MOM
Originally Posted by MOBRIDGE MOM
Okay.........I'm into a totally different style of books than you guys.

Like onthriver just finished the new JD Robb and also just read the newest Nora Roberts Fire Chaser and enjoyed both of them. Am also into a couple of different vampire series by JR Ward and Lara Adrian. Guess I just like the low brow stuff.
Oh and another is CJ Box's Joe Pickett Series - Murder-Mysteries.

I just finished my first CJ Box mystery today. Nowhere to Hide and I had a hard time putting it down.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by MartyT
I loved Water for Elephants...and the ending was one of my favorite endings to a book!

Recently finished, Paths of Glory by Jeffery Archer (a new author for me) and found I didn't want it to end. It is about a group of men in the 1920s who want to climb Mt. Everest.
Iv'e read a few Jeffery Archer books and I really like them. One of his books, "The Bone Collector" was made into a movie with Denzel Washington.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 PM

I got tired of reading books dealing with murders and just by chance picked up a book by Richard Paul Evans. I have read all of his books. The most recent ones are "The Walk" and "Miles To Walk" and he is writing a sequel to these two books that will be coming out in 2012. Read Jennifer Chiaverini's book, "The Aloha Quilt".
Old 05-22-2011, 11:10 PM

Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'Eastern, can't remember the author but that was the last real good one I've read. I finished it about 2 months ago. :)
Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by drw1mjw2
Thanks for starting this! I am always on the 'look' for a new book. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! :)
Same here. :)
Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by hikingquilter
Most recently:
The Help by Katherine Stockett
These is My Words by Nancy Turner
Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls
Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo and currently reading
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
My favorite book is Thirteen Moons by Charles Frasier, which I have read 3 times. I love his use of language in this book.
I love historical novels, as most of these are.
I've read that series by Nancy Turner also and loved them! :)
Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 PM

Thanks friends, I've updated my Blackberry with a new book list. I was at the end of my old list and starting to worry. Lol :)
Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
Wow, what wonderful suggestions..I read constantly so now I have some new ideas. I do like political thrillers...Vince Flynn is my current fav. On the other side, I am really enjoying Richard Paul Evans stuff..a far cry from political thriller..LOL..love all the quilting books that have been mentioned...just plain love to read..how about The Shack? Anyone read that?
The Shack is an awesome read. You will not be disappointed. I've recommended it to several people who just "do not read books" and they all loved it. My sister, who is not a believer, actually said it was "thought provoking".
Old 05-23-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Helovesme
Originally Posted by kathidahl
Wow, what wonderful suggestions..I read constantly so now I have some new ideas. I do like political thrillers...Vince Flynn is my current fav. On the other side, I am really enjoying Richard Paul Evans stuff..a far cry from political thriller..LOL..love all the quilting books that have been mentioned...just plain love to read..how about The Shack? Anyone read that?
The Shack is an awesome read. You will not be disappointed. I've recommended it to several people who just "do not read books" and they all loved it. My sister, who is not a believer, actually said it was "thought provoking".
We read The Shack in book club last year. I was out of the province for the discussion but I was told it was very heated and lively. People either liked it or hated it and had very strong opinions either way. I confess that I didn't read it as I knew I was going to be away when it was discussed.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM

I have enjoyed all of Sandra Dallas's books except the Buster something or another in the title. I have her latest one to read from the library, but have't had a chance to read it yet (Bride's House).
Originally Posted by The Stitch Witch
Originally Posted by redturtle
i just finished reading...Alice's Tulips by Sandra Dallas

it was really good...enjoyed it immensely...

its about a young gal who farms her hubbys land while he is off fighting in the war between the states...its all the letters that she wrote to her sister but it is loaded w/ references to quilting
If you enjoyed this definitely read her " Prayers for Sale" again lots of quilting reference but a really good story about women in a Colorado mining town after the Civil War.