Recycle

Old 05-11-2023, 01:42 PM

Thrift shopping is something I really enjoy. When teaching a craft class, I would buy craft kits even if they had been used if there was enough left for a kid to learn a new skill. We hauled a Morris chair and ottoman home in new shape. Fabric, sheets, clothes, games - lots of things but especially books and jigsaw puzzles. My grandkids like to thrift store shop because I usually give them a budget high enough so they can basically choose what they want and go home with full arms. I figure even if things don't get used or worn much, we've given them a bit more life before recycling them back. If it can be washed or disinfected, it's fine to come home with me. Some thrift stores are more reliable than others and ensure that any electrical items are pre-tested before selling.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Someone mentioned not buying books because of the musty smell. That can be true. I volunteer at our local library book sale every other month. These are recycled books donated by the community members but they are seldom musty, dusty or smokey. Some are less than a year old while others are 50 plus years old. A crew sorts the books by genre and will pull out the damaged or smelly ones. The source of the books means a lot on how they smell. If you are a look lover and shy away from the smelly ones, check out your library for sales. My library makes about $5000 at each sale that goes back to support the purchase of new books for the library. A win-win in so many ways. The most obvious is that folks can purchase books for less than $1 and support the library at the same time.
I purchase at the library sales. Usually 8-10 books & at a $1 per pound it's great. I also keep a box for returns to the library to resell again. I couldn't afford all the books I read so am very happy to have a local library.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:57 AM

My local library has a large permanent book sale area. Books are categorized and shelved like the rest of the library, making it easy to search for a particular author. I still listen to music on CDs while I quilt and they always have a large selection for $1 each. I have found a lot of new artists I wouldn't have tried otherwise. If I don't like them I just donate them back again. Of course, I've also found a lot of music I loved back in the 70s when I was young.