Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Redoing  bathroom need advise! >

Redoing bathroom need advise!

Redoing bathroom need advise!

Old 11-10-2016, 11:44 AM

We are not going to have a built in seat in our either. A shower chair that will be the way we go to. We also are going to add the grab bars an the shower will be a extra wide. The squeegee idea is good one that I hadn't thought of. Will add that to my list. Thanks.
Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
We will be doing the same thing later this month. We are putting in tiles. We will use a squeegie after each shower to prevent water spots. We thought about have a seat added while we are putting it in but decided that we will just use a portable seat if we ever need one.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:46 AM

We are not going to have a built in seat in our either. A shower chair that will be the way we go to. We also are going to add the grab bars in the shower will be a extra wide. The squeegee idea is good one that I hadn't thought of. Will add that to my list. Thanks.
We will be doing the same thing later this month. We are putting in tiles. We will use a squeegie after each shower to prevent water spots. We thought about have a seat added while we are putting it in but decided that we will just use a portable seat if we ever need one.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:47 AM

We are not going to have a built in seat in our either. A shower chair that will be the way we go to. We also are going to add the grab bars in the shower. The shower will be a extra wide one 36 inches. The squeegee idea is good one that I hadn't thought of. Will add that to my list. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:59 AM

We have tile in one bathroom and not sure what our shower is made of. Neither one is a problem to keep clean. We have had the same shower stall since 1989 and going strong. We have a water softener so that may be why. I have taught my daughters (and DH) to use squeegees (sp?) before you get out of the shower and they are cleaned about every 2 weeks. I even bought the micro-fiber cloths to keep in them to get the corners. I have thought about taking out the bathtub in the guest bath but since we have the full shower in our bathroom I don't want to go to the additional expense.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:11 PM

Tiles are easy to keep clean I suggest large ones (less grout), a squeegee after each shower and mildew spray occasionally. Install soap and shampoo holders --just one for each , not a bunch. Install those at a place easy to reach when sitting. Grab bars are a must. I'd put a towel bar within easy reach too.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:16 PM

DH is a licensed contractor and we have built 6 houses for ourselves plus many others. Some showers are plastic and some are fiberglass. We have a small plastic shower at the cottage and I hate it but when we build I like the molded fiberglass. Bathrooms can be retrofited with 3 piece molded fiberglass walk in showers. We have a walk in fiberglass shower in our bathroom. DS#1 and DDIL had a tile shower installed six years ago and the whole thing has to be ripped out and replaced. It's leaking in the bottom on the second floor. I find the fiberglass easier to take care of than tile. Like someone else said, just my two cents.

Last edited by Cam's gram; 11-10-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

when we moved here 6 yrs ago, I was 50 and looking down at having 9-10 spinal surgeries, along with another 10 on other body parts. we decided as soon as we moved in to put in a handicapped bathroom, just in case. we have a tile bathroom, the floor is river rock. the walls, tile, and a seat the size of cinder blocks. they were covered with porcelain and river rock. It's all done in white with marble as a feature strip. The wall of the floor in the shower is about 2" high. It was accessible for me. we also had a handicapped toilet put in. it's the same price, but 2" higher. i wonder how people use their home toilet that''s shorter. We squeegee the doors and the walls, this can be done from a sitting position for most of the shower. We also have a cleaning lady, due to the back surgeries. We also have a spray bottle with bleech in it that we wash the walls with to keep it clean. good luck.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:51 AM

Very nice!
Old 11-11-2016, 04:05 AM

We are in the process of renovating our kitchen and putting tile in a a long hallway, foyer and utility room. If it could go wrong....it did! The tile people should finish today...they say. The carpenter may finish this weekend, and the carpet guy should be here soon. I look at the bathroom in our bedroom and just wish I could redo, but do not want to have the kind of mess that we have been living with for the last month to continue. Maybe next year!!! Good luck with your project. We have well water and white tiled bathroom. It is a little hard to clean but not such a big deal. If I do it over some day it will be with granite or marble.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:54 AM

I have a plastic surround in our bath tub/shower. After each time I use it, I squeegee it down quickly, then wipe it down with the towel with which I have dried myself.

Keeping the surround dry is the secret to never having to "clean" it.