Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Releasing my Inner Pigpen

Blog Entries

Releasing my Inner Pigpen

I've been gardening this morning, and I've been reminded once again that I must be the dirtiest gardener in the world! You see the pictures of gardeners who look as if after planting potatoes they could wash their hands and dash off to lunch at the country club--that's not me! You'd be hard put to find me in a picture--I'd be the mudball blending in with the tilled earth! It also seems that when I am completely filthy, someone drops by--as a matter of fact, every time we get new neighbors, I first meet them when I'm covered in dirt. (Oh yes, they must say, I know Angelia, she's the dirty lady who lives down the street!)

Oh well, I've always been this way--too late to change now. Happy Gardening everyone.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    ​Reminds me of what I look like when I paint. My sister could paint a whole room without getting a drop on her and looked like I rolled in the paint tray.

I don't garden any more, nor do I paint. My oldest Granddaughter's boyfriend is a professional painter and wants to keep his talent up. I am more than willing to give him my painting jobs.
    I don't like to get dirty or painty.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I wish there was a "like" button!
    Lori

I have to head straight from the yard to the shower. I am a very messy gardener.

I've been known to take a couple of showers a day during the summer when I'm out pulling weeds or digging. I come in for lunch, hit the shower, eat and then back outside. Repeat at dinner time! I find it relaxing to be out there getting dirty. What's strange is that as a kid on the farm I didn't like dirt and hated to get my hands dirty. I grew out of that I guess.
    Debra

I'm right there with you. Be it gardening; painting; cleaning; whatever...I'm a mess when I'm done. Always wait until the project is complete - at least for the day - before getting in the shower. Even when sewing. I don't think there's any task that I do where I don't get at least a little messy in the process.

I'm sooooooo bad............ I fixed that problem early............I don't garden. I'm one of those that kill 90% of what I try to grow.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Reminds me of what I look like when I paint. My sister could paint a whole room without getting a drop on her and looked like I rolled in the paint tray.
    Reminds me of my sister also! We're two years apart, and when we were growing up she could play outside all day, wearing a white dress, and never get a speck of dust on herself. When I'd walk out the door, I'd attract all dust, dirt, vermin, and anything else in a ten mile radius!! My dad called her Magnificent Millie, and me Gravel Gert!!....Not sure where he came up with those names!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
    Reminds me of my sister also! We're two years apart, and when we were growing up she could play outside all day, wearing a white dress, and never get a speck of dust on herself. When I'd walk out the door, I'd attract all dust, dirt, vermin, and anything else in a ten mile radius!! My dad called her Magnificent Millie, and me Gravel Gert!!....Not sure where he came up with those names!!!!
    Gravel Gertie was in the Dick Tracy cartoon strip--I don't know the Millie one.
    I was called Dirty Sally after the Gunsmoke character!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    me too - if I want a room painted I get a can of paint and a roller out on a day when DH doesn't have anything to do - he grabs it out of my hands and paints. It's been that way for 36 years. LOL
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
    I'm sooooooo bad............ I fixed that problem early............I don't garden. I'm one of those that kill 90% of what I try to grow.
    me to I try so many time just don't have the green thumb even my snake plant died on me

Blog Entries
    Angelia, you are funny! People who garden, get dirty. That's part of the reason why I don't. I do not like dirt under my nails. Now, don't get the wrong impression of me. I don't have long or beautiful nails. The only time I did was when I was pregnant (most of the 90's). I have to keep them on the short side for work and my sanity!

People probably also say "You know Angelia. She's the one with the beautiful flowers and gardens!"
    Go forth and sew!

Blog Entries
    Why so surprised about getting dirty. It's like sewing. Don't we hold the fabric on our hands and very often put it over our laps or drape it over our arms or body? Gardening is the same thing. The only difference is, for sewing I usually sit in a chair. When I garden I kneel, or sit on the ground, though I've been known to lie flat out when I weed in the hedges. Alas, we are still getting frost and the ground hasn't fired up yet. I can only sit on the porch with a glass of wine and dream.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

i love gardening and getting dirty in the process i can't wait to get started

We must be soul sisters.

I cheated a bit... We are finally enjoying a spring here. Little green things are beginning to pop in the gardens,but I couldn't wait. So, in a few outside pots I have for annuals I stuck some silk daffodils and tulips and put them on front porch, back deck....now that puts a smile on my face........

I too have this Pig Pen thing going on... I struggle to get the evidence removed from under my nails. I will admit I am a digger! Maybe I was a dog in another life.

Wish I could get in the garden, we still have snow to get rid of, although most of it is gone, but ground is far from being ready for plants. I too seem to collect as much dirt on me as the plants. Who cares I am happy in the garden, shower takes care of the dirt. My crocus are blooming, and the tulips are peeking out so I guess spring is really here even though the weatherman says snow tomorrow. Thank heavens for my sewing machine to keep me busy til I can get in the garden.
    Your mind is a garden,
    Your thoughts are seeds.
    You can grow flowers,
    Or you can grow weeds.

It's just the way we are, I don't know which is the more messier me, the gardener or the baker? Just enjoy whatever you're doing, that's why we have washing machines.

My doctor told me getting my hands in the garden soil was the best therapy, so I'm with you garden dirt attaches it's
    self to me. But I love gardening, getting slower at it ,still trying.
    Freedom to speak is a gift ;please don't take it from us..

Hahaha I bet your grow great veggies and beautiful flowers and everybody is envious. ( I am)

I don't garden I don't enjoy it but I do have to work out in the yard I have never perfected the skill of doing anything outside without getting filthy. just not in my skill set.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    my friend does the same when she paints. She can stop in the middle and go to lunch and look like she never touched a brush. Me? I get half the paint on me before I even pick up the paint brush. The harder I try to be neat the worse I get.

Blog Entries
    I love playing in the dirt, you could grow a second garden with the dirt on me and my cloths. I don't mind getting dirty or greasy from auto repairs or paint on me while painting. I hate being sticky.If some thing needs glued I find some one to do it for me. Sticky babies are the worst of all.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
    I've been gardening this morning, and I've been reminded once again that I must be the dirtiest gardener in the world! You see the pictures of gardeners who look as if after planting potatoes they could wash their hands and dash off to lunch at the country club--that's not me! You'd be hard put to find me in a picture--I'd be the mudball blending in with the tilled earth! It also seems that when I am completely filthy, someone drops by--as a matter of fact, every time we get new neighbors, I first meet them when I'm covered in dirt. (Oh yes, they must say, I know Angelia, she's the dirty lady who lives down the street!)

Oh well, I've always been this way--too late to change now. Happy Gardening everyone.
    for years & years i've had total strangers insist that they know me. now i know. they also know you. hello twin sister ) ...

one of my dirtiest days was when a local reporter walked past the "no trespassing sign", was startled by my 95lb wolfdog in full protect the dirty person mode. reporter put his hands, filled w notebook and pen, into the air, asked does "he" bite? i said no, not if "she" has eaten within the last week. and made no apololgy for my filthy clothes & frazzled hair look
    Last edited by roguequilter; 04-12-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast