Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Remember the news story of the lady who spilled hot coffee and sued McDonald's? >

Remember the news story of the lady who spilled hot coffee and sued McDonald's?

Remember the news story of the lady who spilled hot coffee and sued McDonald's?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 PM

I think she shouldn't have gotten any money, you know the coffee is hot when u buy it and to try and drink it in the car. She was old enough to know better
Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 PM

interesting story. years ago my son cut his finger pretty bad on school property. I went to the school the next morning and said that he cut his finger ... before I could finish my story, I was told how they were not responsible and I cannot ask them to pay etc etc. well all I wanted to say was where he hurt himself and that there was glass there and maybe the janitor should check it out so some other kid would not get hurt. they jumped to conclusions and did not listen. something of the same here. she wanted to let mcdonals know that their coffee is too hot and maybe they should turn it down a bit so it would not happen again. mcdonalds did not listen and then it went to court. I think the end result was a shame to the family but still a black spot for mcdonalds. you think of that with each cup of coffee you buy with "hot hot hot" written all over the cup. I personally like their coffee, buy it often, and have them put an ice cube in it. ... to cool it down.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 AM

When you go through the drive-thru at night, please tell me who of you flip on the overhead and read every single line on a coffee cup to suddenly realize that your coffee is "hot-hot-hot". Shouldn't't common sense prevail???? You ordered hot coffee so wouldn't't it be safe to assume that when you got it it www. would be---HOT?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

You can feel the heat through the cup. No way would I put even a hard cup of anything between my legs. I never try to drink hot coffee until it cools for a while. So sorry this happened to her, caution is a good virtue to have. I didn't take time to watch the video or read all the postings. This has always been my feeling on this.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 AM

No one has addressed why she took the lid off the cup. It was to put sugar and cream in it. If McDonalds had prepared it the way she wanted it, she would not have had to take the lid off. She might have burned her tongue, but the tongue can take a hotter temp than the inner thigh skin. My complaint is that when I go through a drive thru, I would like them to prepare the food to my specifications, because I go to a restaurant to have food prepared for me, and because people who are going through a drive thru need their food ready to go.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 AM

How do you know she even asked them to put the cream and sugar in ?......or if she only asked for some cream and sugar packets? I would have opened the drink tab and dumped some of the coffee out before I tried to open the lid.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 AM

Such a good news video. Love the NYT's . Thanks for sharing this link. Good to hear the real story of what happened to her.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 AM

You know, I suspect there are a lot of stories out there that are spin doctored for the specific purpose of upsetting people and generating a strong reaction--no matter whether it's positive or negative. If you pay attention to the choice of words and phrases, sometimes it's obvious that the intent is to manipulate the audience. And there is so much that is suspect on the news--both print and broadcast.