Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Remember when Halloween Was Fun? >

Remember when Halloween Was Fun?

Remember when Halloween Was Fun?

Old 10-11-2021, 04:20 PM

I still enjoy Halloween - I’m 74 and I try to dress up every year. This year I’ll be wearing my pig outfit with silver wings (when pigs fly!!!!j and I’ve added a nice furry pink snout and ears. I do miss being able to hand out hime-made treats though. People have wrecked the treats because they just want to harm kids! Our neighbor used to have spooky music and a very weird hand that would reach the treats through the door. Some years he would have us inside for hot chocolate. My last year of trick or treating was 1964 when I was 17 and wore a cat costume complete with ears and tail (thanks to my friend next door who took dance lessons and loaned me her outfit). I made costumes for my son every year till he was around 10 (he’s now 41) and I’ve kept all of them! But Halloween is still fun as I really enjoy seeing all the kids and their costumes.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 10-12-2021, 06:47 AM

Speaking of decorations, when I was coming home last night I noticed my neighbors had put two big inflatable black cats in their yard. They were almost as tall as the house! So cute!

Last edited by cashs_mom; 10-12-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
ummm....I was scared of Halloween back in the day....I had watched the "Wizard of Oz" and I knew all about those bad witches and their flying monkeys! Also, living in northern Minnesota, we were out trick or treating in the snow more than once. I do remember however, we used to get regular sized candy bars....not the tiny ones used now a days. I will not be handing out candy this year because of Covid rates being high were I am and also because of no sidewalks were I am and folks speeding even during treat or treat time. Just scares me too much! I will probably watch "Anaconda" or "Arachnophobia" or...maybe just The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" or maybe the "Alien Series"...oh my, I getting scared already!
My sons (11 and 9 at the time) made a huge haul during the Halloween Blizzard of 1991 here in Minnesota! They were even featured on local TV stations. My DH shoveled a path, and they trudged up and down the block. They were the only kids out, and people gave them tons of candy. The reporter and camera crew happened to see them, and followed them around.