Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Remember when you got free dishes with vacuum cleaner? >

Remember when you got free dishes with vacuum cleaner?

Remember when you got free dishes with vacuum cleaner?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 AM

I remember my mother getting the towels and dishes in the laundry soap, the glasses in the Oxydol soap, the plastic wind up toys in the potato chips, dishes for buying groceries, S&H greenstamps, glasses from Welch's jelly (she reused those with wax tops to make her own when we moved to the country) and 30 + years later my husband and I got a set of butcher knives from a Rainbow demonstration and a green hurricane oil lamp from a Kirby vacuum demonstration. Now we are thrilled to get free downloads from the Internet! Especially the embroidery. But what I remember most was how neighbors and the milk man and the grocery clerk and the gas station attendant 'gave' to our large family in some way or another. I married a very giving man and we raised our children that way. Our memories make us strong adults.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 AM

ok..... so my remembering is wrong!! here I have been thinking (with the cost of gas) that they need to bring back green stamps like they used to have when I was little, So what was it you got at I think was sinclair? (the dino gas station? (at least we would get something our money) I stand up and say yeah!!!

Last edited by crafty3236; 01-23-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM

I remember my mom kept all the green stamps in one place and every so often she'd put all three of us boys to work with damp sponges, sticking them into the books. I remember going with her to the S&H green stamp store to exchange them for something.

Not so long ago, Arby's used to have giveaway glasses. I've got a lot of cartoon character ones in my cabinet.

Tate
Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM

I still have my set only I got them with a set of pots and pans. They aren't exactly like yours and I got them in the early 70's.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:51 PM

In the early 70s I bought a vacuum from a "traveling salesman". It was $25 at that time and I got a hope chest free with it. Made payments weekly. Still have the chest but the vacum is LONG GONE!!! 'Funny thing is that thing could out suck any of the new expensive ones!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:29 PM

I had dishes from the gas station, glass items from oatmeal boxes, and lots of stuff from using green stamps. Even used Betty Crocker coupons- we really appreciated getting those things. How times have changed
Old 01-26-2012, 06:27 PM

my aunt took me to jewelry store yes jewelry store in 1967 to help her pick pout a set of china it came with a free tea set that i recieved for my 15th birthday. then on Christmas that year i got the China for my hope chest .... girls now days don't know what a hope chest is.... i remember dishes in oatmeal towels in laundry soap... nothing free now
Still have both sets they have managed to survive a lot
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 PM

My parents "bought" Christmas gifts with Gold Bond Stamps. Erickson gas stations, now called Holliday Stations, gave stamps with every gas purchase. I used those stamps for an Ironing board, which I still use. I can't remember the other items we acquired with the gas stamps. Brings back lots of memories.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

I have a set of Blimpie glasses and a set of the Taco Time Walt Disney glasses from 1978-1980 that you received free from the drive-ins when you bought a soda.