Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Replacing RV frig with a Samsung regular frig >

Replacing RV frig with a Samsung regular frig

Replacing RV frig with a Samsung regular frig

Old 06-15-2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
Has anyone on this board ever replaced their RV frig with a Samsung regular frig? I know it will have to be fitted in the space, but was wondering if there would be a problem running it on the inverter when rolling down the road. Wondering how many amps it draws. Thanks for any info anyone can give.
We replaced our fridge last year with a French door Samsung. Our RV fridge had stopped cooling on us several times & ruined all our food. Each time, the compete cooling system was repaired or replaced by the warranty. We kept thinking that it would get fixed by the very capable technicians that worked on it. But, it only would fix it for a few months, then it would go out again. Ironically it wouldn't do it while we were within 500 miles of home.

Our motorhome is a Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 foot with 50 or 30 amp service. My husband had to make some changes to the cabinetry...take out the bottom board & one on the top...for the new fridge to fit. The major problem was that when you were going down the road, the fridge doors would fly open. We solved that with a pinning system for the freezer, & large Velcro straps for the upper doors. We have had no problems with our inverter handling the load. One thing you do have to find out is which plug in the back of the fridge area stays on when the inverter is on. One of the ways that the RV fridges know when to swap to gas is that the power goes off in one of the plugs when the inverter is in use.

I think ours is a 2k inverter. We have an automatic generator start function if the batteries get too low to handle the load. Several times, we have spent the night at Wally world & the generator didn't come on all night. This is after having driven more than 8 hours in a day.

We searched online & ordered the least expensive one, with free shipping, that we could find. We are thrilled with the fridge! We do have to remember to turn off the icemaker when we are traveling or we get the iceberg effect. It makes so much ice, that we have never been short on ice even when we could not run it for several days.

Because of all the problems we had with the original RV dual operation fridge, we wish we had done this several years ago.

OOPS! Forgot to say, that because of our small entry door, the fridge doors had to be removed to get the fridge in our motorhome. My husband, also, had to take out both driver & passenger seats. In retrospect, if we had more than one person helping him, it would probably have been easier to bring the new fridge in through the large escape window. The old RV fridge had to be totally taken apart to get it out. That took a bit of time.

Second OOPS! Things tend to move very easily in the new fridge. I am using plastic containers purchased at WalMart to put jars & things like that in & expanding curtain rods to keep everything in the fridge when the door is opened after traveling. The one we bought has 3 large drawers in it & they are very handy to solve the movement problem.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-15-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
I don't know what they are putting in the new RV's but ours is a 3-way frig propane gas ----battery and electricity and the converter changes the electricity into 12 volt to run the electric things in the RV am I making sense so in ours no way would a regular one work I am dreading the day it needs replaced as the 3-way ones are very expensive
Do you have a motorhome or a travel trailer? You can close off the propane line if you put a regular frig.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
We replaced our fridge last year with a French door Samsung. Our RV fridge had stopped cooling on us several times & ruined all our food. Each time, the compete cooling system was repaired or replaced by the warranty. We kept thinking that it would get fixed by the very capable technicians that worked on it. But, it only would fix it for a few months, then it would go out again. Ironically it wouldn't do it while we were within 500 miles of home.

Our motorhome is a Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 foot with 50 or 30 amp service. My husband had to make some changes to the cabinetry...take out the bottom board & one on the top...for the new fridge to fit. The major problem was that when you were going down the road, the fridge doors would fly open. We solved that with a pinning system for the freezer, & large Velcro straps for the upper doors. We have had no problems with our inverter handling the load. One thing you do have to find out is which plug in the back of the fridge area stays on when the inverter is on. One of the ways that the RV fridges know when to swap to gas is that the power goes off in one of the plugs when the inverter is in use.

I think ours is a 2k inverter. We have an automatic generator start function if the batteries get too low to handle the load. Several times, we have spent the night at Wally world & the generator didn't come on all night. This is after having driven more than 8 hours in a day.

We searched online & ordered the least expensive one, with free shipping, that we could find. We are thrilled with the fridge! We do have to remember to turn off the icemaker when we are traveling or we get the iceberg effect. It makes so much ice, that we have never been short on ice even when we could not run it for several days.

Because of all the problems we had with the original RV dual operation fridge, we wish we had done this several years ago.

OOPS! Forgot to say, that because of our small entry door, the fridge doors had to be removed to get the fridge in our motorhome. My husband, also, had to take out both driver & passenger seats. In retrospect, if we had more than one person helping him, it would probably have been easier to bring the new fridge in through the large escape window. The old RV fridge had to be totally taken apart to get it out. That took a bit of time.

Second OOPS! Things tend to move very easily in the new fridge. I am using plastic containers purchased at WalMart to put jars & things like that in & expanding curtain rods to keep everything in the fridge when the door is opened after traveling. The one we bought has 3 large drawers in it & they are very handy to solve the movement problem.
Thanks, Barb. I'm also from LA. YOu have given a lot of useful info. How did you hubby bolt down the frig?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 AM

My DH has always said only an RV fridge will work while driving on the road. We have had a camping trailer since 1991. I think if you are a "Parker", then it doesn't matter. We are campers, not Parkers so it's matters to us.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 AM

We replaced our refridg with a GE profile model. You really should not order anything till the propane one is out of the space. Measure VERY carefully. We had one on order and had to cancel as at remeasure it would not fit. Our roof slopes down to the outside and the front does not measure the same as the back. Yes - ours ran on the inverter all the way up from FL to MA. It does not draw much - under 4. Best thing is I can now keep ice cream in the freezer and it stays like a rock. We found you could want what we wanted for make and model - but you have to go by what fits. We got ours at Home Depot. We also had to take out the passanger side window to get it in (we have a 39' Winnebago Journey). Good luck, any more questions just ask.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aronel View Post
Sorry, I was told that you have to get a RV refrigerator. It has to be able to operate on gas or battery and a regular refrigerator won't do.
Yes, this. DH told me the same. We are on the road right now camping.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:18 PM

Default RV refrigerator

We replaced our 4 door RV refrig. with a side by side Whirlpool 22 cf refrig. Total electric and uses less amprage. It depends on how they connect it, as some can run on batteries for several days or you need to install a true sinewave inverter (not the modified sinewave that usually come with a coach). Use rubber mats on the shelves, and some baskets to hold small things. To keep the door closed, use velcro...We travel the USA and had no problems. What part of the country are you in? BTW, love the ice and water in the door. God Bless you with safe travels