Resale shops overflowing

Old 08-13-2016, 04:07 AM

I'm finding the same higher prices in most second hand stores here on Long Island. The only one I bother with now is Savers, but still I walk out empty-handed more often than not.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:54 AM

Prices are indeed often higher than we have been seeing. My willingness to pay a price at a thrift shop is driven by the purpose it exists. I liked one thrift store so much I joined the Assistance League that runs it. All employees are volunteers even the manager. Through Operation School Bell we to bought 1600 complete sets of school clothes for needy students in our area last year alone. Another $137K went to 26 scholarship recipients including women returning to the workforce also just this year. Workingest group of women I ever saw!

I dislike shopping at a Goodwill. Their CEO's salary gives me pause.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:32 AM

There is a mixed bag of thrifts around here. The Goodwill recently opened and I find their racks are so stuffed it is difficult to browse clothes. I did get a nice pair of Lee pants for $1 though. The Salvation Army is in the basement of a building and many times the smell drives me out before I can get any shopping done.

In the other direction is a thrift store with kind of high prices, but great selection and they WASH, IRON and even DRY CLEAN everything that comes in!!! They never have a sale though, and no system to move out things that have been around for a while.

Further away is one that ALWAYS has great sales based on the tag colors - first 1/2 price, then $1.00 for a couple of days, then $.10 for the final two days. I like hunting for bargains!!
Old 08-13-2016, 06:30 AM

Check out your thrift stores before you shop. Of course, living in Phoenix, we have all the same "big box" thrift stores. But I work for a thrift store that supports a rescue for Boxers (the dogs, not the athletes). Our first year, minus expenses, we were able to raise $60,000 for the medical care of our rescues. Their costs add up quickly and Phoenix seems to be a haven for backyard breeders. One year we rescued almost 700 Boxers. Everything we sell is donated and all are volunteers. Our shorts and blouses are $3 and pants are $4. Anything older than 30 days is $1.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Goodwill here is very expensive. Salvation Army has cheap prices so the inventory will move. Goodwill has the same old stuff week after week. I like Savers, I found a new Oliso iron in box for $25. Employee said she thought that was too much for an iron, the other irons weren't that much, and was going to ask if the price could be lowered. I said no, I'm fine paying $25.
I do not donate to SA anymore. Last time I did donate, I had to step inside the door for paperwork. I saw a sight I could never imagine in a hundred years. A pile of clothes that had to be 15' high and took up enough space as a 3 car garage. What a fire hazard and they were taking in more clothes. I only donate to 3 local church/community shops.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:48 AM

I shop at thrift stores for fabric and wool sweaters for winter clothes for my naked chickens. (it is pretty hard to find actual wool sweaters). I will occasionally find actual clothes I intend to wear, but not often. We have an NBC clothing store in Tulsa, all new clothes and at thrift store or cheaper prices. You have to be dedicated to the hunt to find the real bargains, but a couple times a year I enjoy a "me" shopping day and head out for the bargain hunt! lol

Thanks for the reminder about the thrift stores attatched to animal rescue groups. I have a LOT of good clothes I've been trying to find a home for in the church (since most are dresses and skirts suitable for church) w/o success and we have one thrift store in Tulsa that I know about that is for rescue animals, I would be willing to make the extra drive to donate there.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:23 AM

VERY interesting article about what happens to donated clothes.

http://fashionista.com/2016/01/clothing-donation

Best thing you can do? Don't buy so much new clothing.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
VERY interesting article about what happens to donated clothes.

http://fashionista.com/2016/01/clothing-donation

Best thing you can do? Don't buy so much new clothing.
my feelings exactally. Remember the Katrina donations that weren't channeled through Red Cross etc? Piles sitting in the rain from bathtub size to dump truck size.
I don't donate clothes, I wear them out. I can do that easily because I also hate shopping. Clothes are only new for one wearing, then they are like everything else in the closet. But then I don't buy fabric either

The volunteer charity shops are wonderful...but how many people can afford to spend their days volunteering? If you have a family to feed?

Interesting thread!
Old 08-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
I do not donate to SA anymore. Last time I did donate, I had to step inside the door for paperwork. I saw a sight I could never imagine in a hundred years. A pile of clothes that had to be 15' high and took up enough space as a 3 car garage. What a fire hazard and they were taking in more clothes. I only donate to 3 local church/community shops.
That was the discard pile to be picked up. Most are donations that are dirty, ripped, stained, not suitable to sell, etc. Donations are sorted. Not common for it to be that much at one time, must have been a pick up problem. Did you ask why it was so much piled up?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
my feelings exactally. Remember the Katrina donations that weren't channeled through Red Cross etc? Piles sitting in the rain from bathtub size to dump truck size.
I don't donate clothes, I wear them out. I can do that easily because I also hate shopping. Clothes are only new for one wearing, then they are like everything else in the closet. But then I don't buy fabric either

The volunteer charity shops are wonderful...but how many people can afford to spend their days volunteering? If you have a family to feed?

Interesting thread!
Okay, I'll bite, how do you not buy fabric? I don't willingly get rid of my clothes it is a growing size issue, sadly my clothes don't "grow with me"