Resale shops overflowing

Old 08-17-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by starshine View Post
I have read on some of the threads on the board comments about going to thrift stores to buy cotton fabric-and they comment they look for the larger sizes b/c the pay the same price for a shirt/blouse no matter the size so they go for the larger sizes to get more fabric-this would probably just be the cotton fabric items, shirts, skirts and dresses.

One of the things I have discovered is calls for donations for "kidney services" and they will pick up so lots of folks are happy to donate, is that the National foundation that you think is getting the money from the sale is not. I called the local office for their thrift shop as I thought I would shop there, and looked it up by the addresses-more than one in our town. The thrift shop is a for profit chain of stores. Then found a story from a few years earlier by a local tv news channel. the Nkf gets $1 for each pick up for use of referral. The calls have quit using the Nat. name and go by services. Looking at the thrift stores website any clothing that is too worn or not up to their par they sale as rags to some industrial companies.

On another note there is a group here that operates 2 free stores. Anyone can come in and get some clothing, shoes, coats, etc. I don't recall if there is a limit per day or not. However when my dh was volunteering he noticed sometimes when he left after his volunteer time a guy who had come in that day was 1/2 a block away trying to sell what he picked up to others on the sidewalk. that was discouraging too.

I think that one might be able to donate to shelters, women's abuse shelter, or a group that assists unemployed getting back to work, school kids, etc. If thrift stores don't need them look around for that. And if you are willing to spend money on shipping there are areas that have need that probably aren't in your area-Appalachia, reservations(St. Bonaventure NM) was on CBS Sunday morning last year with their water project. Another eye opening story.
I know a couple that run a local clearinghouse, which basically provides clothing items to those in need. Items include many designer labels that have been donated. The couple told me they have people that come in regularly and only pick out the designer labels of various sizes, and then they turn around and sell at their yard sales. She warned them she is out and about, and will be on the lookout for that kind of activity. Unfortunate and discouraging as you stated.