Retarded Grandparents

Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
If memory serves me right, back in the olden days when a child was slow to learn, they were tested and a diagnosis of "retarded" was rendered by all the professionals and teachers. Then we became "politically correct" and had to invent new words to replace retarded.
It's terribly sad that some of you took this joke personally....It's obvious it wasn't meant to be. I, too, am offended by the use of that word in a derogatory manner but this was not used that way.
I'd like to recommend the book "Michael Vey" by Richard Paul Evans. He wrote it for his son who has tourettes and was being bullied at school....your children will love it. The sequeal comes out in August. I can't wait.
Sorry, I have to disagree. At least since the late 60's, the use of the term "retarded" has been frowned-upon by most educated people as being both derogatory and inaccurate. I know, I was there working with the educators and therapists for my son.

And there's nothing "politically correct" about not using derogatory terms. Some people still use the "n" word to describe people of color -- that doesn't make it right, and it doesn't make not using it "politically correct."

Of course people take this so-called "joke" personally. The meaning is clear in the so-called "joke." The attempt at humor comes from trying to equate the word "retired" with the word "retarded." In the writer's lexicon (and the writer was indeed not a child, just a stupid adult pretending to be a child) "retarded" means someone to be laughed at and mocked, and this screed took it and used it in that context. You don't have to have a personal connection to find this offensive, unfeeling, and just plain mean-spirited.

And, IMO, anyone who thinks this is funny doesn't know or care much about other people's feelings, especially those who have gone through the hell of raising an autistic or learning-disabled child.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM

It is sad that so many kids (and maybe adults) use the word "retard" freely as an insult. Hope in the coming years it will go the way of the N word.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Sounds like this story came from the south - where saying 'retired' might sound an awful lot like 'retarded' to a child!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM

I stand corrected....we were just behind in the 60's and early 70's in Maine.....you know, out of touch.
We were still doing "Moron" jokes there. I suspect we weren't as sophisticated as the rest of the country.
Most didn't use the N word either, if anyone did....they were frowned upon.
I am of the opinion "politically correct" is total poop invented by the Clinton administration to cover his flubs.

My father was 10 months old when he contacted polio in 1910. Seeings how Salk wasn't even born yet, the only thing the doctors could do when his legs drew up, they cut the cords at the back of his knees making it impossible for him to walk without throwing his legs and locking his knees. He had to use a cane his whole life. He hated the word "Crippled" and it was not allowed in the house. We saw people make fun of him behind his back. When anyone would say anything to us 4 girls, we would just ask them if their father was a concert pianist who could play Tiko-Tiko or Flight of the Bumblebee without the music in front of them. Believe me, I know your plight but I never reprimanded anyone for using a word.
I think I'd be safe in saying no one on this board thinks of your children as being retarded. That hasn't been used in years. They are such special children that it would be cruel indeed and I can't think of anyone on here being that cruel. We might not be perfect but we do have values.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 PM

I work in a residential facility which is home to 15 learning and (some) physically disabled adults. All are unique individuals in his/her own right. One can't help but love them, although sometimes they can be frustrating. A favorite quote from a former administrater is "Retarded means slow, NOT stupid!" How very true! many of our residents are very capable of teasing and having fun with us.

As far as this 'joke'...the only thing I chuckled at was the child's mispronunciation of 'retired'.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 AM

It sickens me when people use the "R" word.

Is anyone in the world perfect?