Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Reusable grocery bag pattern

Blog Entries

Reusable grocery bag pattern

Hi everyone.I Don't post often so I hope I am doing this properly. But I am looking for a grocery bag pattern to make bags and give them to a food pantry for the people to use. I'm a beginner to intermediate sewer.
    I'm thinking about a half yard and I would like to have the handles incorporated in the body of the bag to make it sturdy. I don't think I need it lined as the fabric I'm using is sturdy and I can then donate more bags. Any ideas????
    Thank you.

someone just gave me a pile of heavy fabric so I am looking for a pattern too!!

I have a "fat sack" bag pattern that I got off free from the 'net. Try Goggling it, if you can't find one, PM me and I'll email the directions for it.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Here's one pattern. You really need the handle strips to go all the way, not attached to the top, for security.

https://terryatkinson.typepad.com/at.../fat-sack.html

We've made this one several times and we love it. Perfect size and easy to make. We look for bargain decorator weight or denim fabric at Joann and use that to make the bags. A 27 x 54" piece of fabric will make one bag.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wEnaFutDodg

There are manny examples and instructions on YouTube. Just google. Several designs to choose from.

Here's one that looks like the bag and handle is all one piece like the plastic bags at Walmart.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgT8QJ9Of3o

Here is a bag that I make. I originally bought this pattern from another maker, but this is a free youtube video and it's the same bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-otEQfPu6rA
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
    Here's one that looks like the bag and handle is all one piece like the plastic bags at Walmart.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgT8QJ9Of3o
    thanks for the link. I like the elastic for holding it rolled up. I keep WM bags in my purse folded up and held with a hair elastic. Some day they will all wear out and I'll have to sew some of my own!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    there are many free patterns at allfreesewing.com and allpeoplequilt.com (they have many bags, purses and other items). To make it easier to launder, you should not line it and either double stitch your seams or french seam them. To make them sturdy, make a continuous strap and loop it under the bottom, up the side, make the strap and then go down again to create the second strap. This allows for strength under the bag and not just pulling on the straps. If you are having trouble figuring out the 'boxing the corners', push a cereal box into the bottom of a pillow case and see how it forces the corner to fold. If you stitched that line, it would 'box the corner'. Most of the bags that I make, I cover a rectangle of plastic needlepoint canvas with fabric and use this as an insert into the bag to create a flat sturdy bottom. This can be removed for washing. (Extra tip, for a quick gift, make some plain tote bags but attach your extra orphan quilt blocks to the outside. Folks think it is wonderful and you have a way to get rid of your extras, your try-outs and just the ones you didn't like !)
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-29-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    just google it. You'd be amazed at the free patterns out there. I did that for a raglan sleeve hoodie and found a great one. I've pattern hacked it and made a few that look totally different than the others. You just download them, print and then tape them together. Very easy
    Judy

Gay that one is really nice and wide,not just a couple inches thick. I'm going to make a few like that. Thanks
    Mary

The fastest easiest reusable bags I know of are made from recycled tshirts. You cut out the neck. Cut off the sleeves, and sew close the bottom of the tshirt. They take about 10 minutes to make. Thrift stores are a great source for tshirts. My kids were also a great source. Cheap and easy.

This is the one I use to!

Quote Originally Posted by Gay View Post
    Here's one pattern. You really need the handle strips to go all the way, not attached to the top, for security.

https://terryatkinson.typepad.com/at.../fat-sack.html
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

Greenbaglady.com has a very quick and easy bag. Use mine all the time.

That's a great thing you're doing!

I cut the bottom out of a plastic grocery bag and used that for my pattern. It takes two layers of regular cotton fabric, because of the rounded part of the built-in handles. But you could do one layer of heavier fabric and finish the openings around the handles with bias tape.
    Annette in Utah

The greenbaglady pattern is my go-to also. I've made a lot of different versions of that bag, out of many different types of fabric, including seasonal panels. I like shopping with my Halloween bags in October and my Christmas bags in December... I'm just weird that way LOL.

I have lots of totes that can be used for grocery bags, but someday I might make one of these.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Love making these bags, thanks so much for all the links
    Mary

great idea, I wear tshirts all the time. Maybe I can embroider them so cover the stains LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
    great idea, I wear tshirts all the time. Maybe I can embroider them so cover the stains LOL
    Thanks everyone for some great ideas. I may not make a bag like the grocery store kind. May make ones with attached handles seems like they would be easier. And less fabric. But I'm still checking out all the sites. If you have time check with your local food pantry too and see if they could use them.
    Thanks again!!

I was gifted with a lot of odd scrap fabric after en elderly relative died( you quilt so we are sending you aunt g's fabric). Well most of it was not my taste and in some cases odd shaped remnants . I hated to just pitch it so following the Shabby Fabrics tute I now have a nice collection of grocery bags. Had to get a bit creative with some but I made it work!

I like to make French seams on unlined bags so there’s no raveling.