Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rice filled trivet

Rice filled trivet

Has anyone made one of the rice filled trivets and then washed it?

No, but I would think the rice would swell.

Quote Originally Posted by 19cats View Post
    No, but I would think the rice would swell.
    My thoughts exactly which is why I'm asking in case there is some trick someone has found. :-)

Blog Entries
    i have rice in my heating pad i put around my neck. can't be washed. if they had micro beads they might be washed. not sure of washing machine though. perhaps in a lingerie bag.

Blog Entries
    They make small bead pellets ( I have some) and they are micro safe and washable.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I made a couple of the heat pads for my husband and I but I also made separate covers so I could wash them the covers and not worry about getting the rice wet and making a mess. I just use snaps on the covers.

Quote Originally Posted by gailpe2018 View Post
    Has anyone made one of the rice filled trivets and then washed it?
    Of course you can wash it. Wash by hand, work quickly, use only warm or cold water and dry quickly inside a pillow case or something like that. I would put in the spin cycle of my washing machine which would get out most of the water, then put it into the dryer in its cover. Rice takes a long time and lots of heat before it swells. I would try it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Power Poster
    Polypropolene beads work well for trivets. I would take a chance and rinse and dry quickly as mentioned.

I just made 2 new ones for Christmas but I used lentils and I would only wash the cover.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

mac
    After reading your question, I suddenly had this picture of you going to your washing machine after the wash cycle had finished and seeing your washing machine door propped open with all of the rice swelled up like an overflowing popcorn popper. Silly, I know. I do sometimes get funny, ridiculous images in my head; it keeps me entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    After reading your question, I suddenly had this picture of you going to your washing machine after the wash cycle had finished and seeing your washing machine door propped open with all of the rice swelled up like an overflowing popcorn popper. Silly, I know. I do sometimes get funny, ridiculous images in my head; it keeps me entertained.
    That's hilarious!! :-)

I made one & use it often. If cover gets soiled, I think I’ll make a new one, maybe reuse the rice, maybe not.