Roasted Veggies YUM

Old 09-25-2011, 01:54 AM

I'm amazed. Firstly that you buy pumpkin in a can. Surely fresh veges are available. Secondly it sounds like you don't have roast veges all that often. I know you have mashed potato with roast meat but do you also have roast veges? I'm sure you would all think we have different ways here.
I make roast veges as often as I can. Just a spray of oil and all in the one baking dish. My DH asks for mashed veges sometimes. I love roast veges because they are healthier as, except for some herbs they need nothing else.
We know that Americans didn't take to our national spread, Vegemite. Would it interest you to know it was developed by an American scientist working for Kraft.
I'd be interested to hear other stories about what you enjoy eating.

Try roast parsnip. Wonderful.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 AM

I, too, love roasted veggies. So quick, easy and yummy.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:08 AM

Love roasted veggies. Two nights ago we did potato,sweet potato,brussel sprouts, onions, mushrooms and cauliflower. Delicious. I do the fries all the time but I never peel them. Thats where all the good stuff is. Even sweet potatoes don't get peeled. I think some people peel them with out thinking. try them with the peel on. They are evn yummier
Old 09-25-2011, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

All above are delicious. Don't forget asparagus that way too. Really good.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:51 AM

Sounds really yummy I roast butternut squash with olive oil and salt and pepper, my husband likes it sweet with brown sugar and butter (of course) but he will eat it this way too.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by JSNOMORE
Love roasted veggies. Two nights ago we did potato,sweet potato,brussel sprouts, onions, mushrooms and cauliflower. Delicious. I do the fries all the time but I never peel them. Thats where all the good stuff is. Even sweet potatoes don't get peeled. I think some people peel them with out thinking. try them with the peel on. They are evn yummier
Peelings have all the vitamins. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of veggies, they are wonderful roasted.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:18 AM

We roast 1 bunch asparagus, 1 red onion diced, 1 butternut squash diced, 1 of each red, yellow, orange peppers, 2 cups sliced mushrooms, 20 brussel sprouts, with 3 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper and 3 tbsp oregano. Roast at 400 degrees and stir every ten minutes for 30 minutes total.

If we have any leftovers I keep in freezer and add to our next soup pot.

I like it as I can prepare it the night before, and just bake when I get home, while I'm preparing the rest of dinner.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I have been reading about the healthy benefits of some vegetables. I decided that more fresh vegetables couldn't hurt. I decided that pumpkin would be added to our menus. Since I couldn't find canned 100% pure pumpkin w/o sugar and spices, I bought a pie pumpkin and peeled and boiled it. It was very good. So I tried roasted pumpkin - so much better. My DH said it is better than squash (we both love squash.) I bought two more pumpkins since pie ones are small and they keep well.

Then I decided to saute some radishes which I love and DH doesn't. Raw veggies are my favorite, but they hurt my stomach. DH loved the cooked radishes, too. They don't hurt my stomach. :)

Yesterday, I roasted a sweet potato, carrots, and a baking baking potato all mixed together and coated with olive oil. I put them in a foil lined pan so I wouldn't have to wash the pan later. I left the pan uncovered so the veggies would brown a little.

Then I sauteed egg plant, zucchini, fresh white mushrooms, leeks, radishes and a little bit of fresh jalepeno pepper. I added a dash of hot pepper flakes, sea salt, paprika and black pepper. When all were done, I served them together in one dish. Then I added sauteed cauliflower on the side. The vegetables were so tasty it was very hard to stop eating them. My DH like them so much he offered to wash the dishes to give me a break. He always dries them. He's a sweetheart. :)

We have always eaten a lot of vegetables and now that I roast them, we will be eating them a lot more. :) I will keep trying different vegetable combinations. :)

I posted this because it turned out so great for us, that I thought someone else might want to try roasted vegetables if they haven't already. Don't forget the pumpkin. :)
don't forget the parsnips. they get so sweet. and, if you can digest them, the onions.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

remember the degree you cook at depends on your altitude where you live. i'm used to cooking at350 but must do 450 or 425 in Colorado!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
I've recently been making roasted sweet potato "fries". I peel the sweet potatoes, cut into sticks, toss with olive oil and garlic pepper. Lay out in a single layer on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes. Turn with a spatula and bake another 5 minutes. Yummy!!
To make it really healthy and full of good nutrients, just wash the potato, but don't peel it. Even my little grandkids think they taste great, and they don't even know that they are good for them, too.