Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Robin Williams Dead

He was an alcoholic, this is not uncommon. Always sad, he will be missed greatly.

So sad! He was one of my favorites. Money and success doesn't ensure happiness. He will be missed. Bless his family.
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I knew Robin struggled with mental health issues, but naively I thought with his money,
    he would have some of the best doctors,...but doctors are not omnipotent.
    I didn't know I believed he would never go.
    He just seemed so much bigger than life.
    Along with prayers for his family, I hope the research for manic depression and
    adhd forges ahead and makes great strides, so understanding and acceptance
    of those that suffer will grow.
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

I grew up watching his comedy; he reminded me very very much of my father's best friend. Similar wacky sense of humor, similar appearance, even. Weirdly, similar struggles in life - both passed from suicide.

I'm sorry to see you go, Funny Man.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    It's a pity that some of the funniest people have the saddest lives. They make us laugh when they want to cry. He was just three years older than me.
    He was the same age a me, and I understand his struggles for I too have struggled with depression for many years as a result of a bad experience that threw me into PTSD like symptoms and depression. That was 10 years ago.
    Friends are the most important ingredient in the recipe of life.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sending prayers from the gulf for all those who are fighting those inner demons that just will not leave one alone. Many comments from individuals who called him selfish. Many who take their own lives feel they are such a burden on their family because they see pain in the eyes of their loved ones who actually are just wanting to help relieve them of the burden. RIP Robin Williams and all who have been down that ugly road of depression.

Sooo sad. I remember when he first appeared in "Mork and Mindy" and being fascinated because I had never seen a comic with such talent before. And who can forget "Good Morning Vietnam" and "Mrs. Doubtfire"? Such incredible talent ... he will be deeply missed.

Both Robin Williams and his idol, Jonathan Winters, suffered from mental illness and depression. So sad. Both of these comic geniuses will live on thru their work.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    Praying that he is now at peace and praying for his family. They must be more than devastated.
    Ditto in every respect.

I've been watching the news this morning and no one has mentioned that Robin Williams made a movie in the 90's, What Dreams may Come, that was about depression and suicide after the loss of a loved one. It was a box office failure and quite an odd side of Robin. But I wonder if maybe it was a look inside his mind?

I will treasure the many movies and comedy skits he made and recorded. He was so profoundly talented. He left his mark on all who saw his work.

Robin Williams

We never know what sadness lies behind a smiling face. So so sad that this happened to someone who was loved so much everywhere. He will be missed...sending prayers to his family.

There are other comics who have become successful at acting but I think that for this century, he may be the most talented comedian. Nobody can ever replace his gift for ad-libing especially script lines. I will probably cry and laugh at the same time when I see the next sequel of Night in the Museum. Since everyone calls their phones smart, I call my DUMB DUMB.

May the Genie finally be FREE !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    People make their own choices. I am truly sorry for his family. I know too many people with cancer and other illnesses that are fighting with every ounce of strength that they have to live -- like my husband did. He did not live.
    May God have mercy on Robin William's soul.
    i am truly hoping I have misinterpreted your message here. Depression is an ILLNESS. The same as cancer. When the brain is not functioning correctly sometimes it is NOT a choice. Please educate yourself before you make these type of statements.
    Bless you poor Robin.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    Robin Williams was a comic genius and was multi-talented. He always made me laugh. My prayers go out to his family at this most difficult time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    i am truly hoping I have misinterpreted your message here. Depression is an ILLNESS. The same as cancer. When the brain is not functioning correctly sometimes it is NOT a choice. Please educate yourself before you make these type of statements.
    Bless you poor Robin.

I "get" that. And i have no further comment. I loved Robin Williams. I will leave it at that....... I am still reeling over losing a dear friend. She had everthing to live for.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

He had no equal. I shall never forget a film of an unfortunate war and his salutation, "Good Morning, Vietnam!". I have a relative who suffers from severe depression, one of the most talented, sensitive human beings I have ever met. There is help available if diagnosed properly and treated by knowledgeable, trained doctors. However, the illness still needs more research.

I feel the same way as everyone on this blog. So sad. Very talented, funny man. May he rest in the peace he could not find on this earth.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    RIP. Sad to lose such a fantastic person, actor, comedian.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't know really what to say other than what has already been said. I haven't told anyone this in person, but I am honestly grieving over this. I feel like I've lost one of my best friends. Just remember Robin...second star to the right, and straight on till morning. Now you can fight, you can fly, and you can crow!

Donna
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

Blog Entries
    He lived in San Francisco and everyone said since he'd been there for over 35 yrs, he'd ride his bike around and shop just like every other normal person and it wasn't a big deal. He did so much for his community as well as the military troops. He did finish a movie that should be coming out. They had just decided to do a Ms Doubt Fire 2, but it wouldn't be the same if someone else portrayed him so that'll probably get nixed. He had a lot to offer but the demons wouldn't leave him alone. I feel for anyone who has any type of mental disease because its hard to diagnose and then others just don't have the financial means to get help. You never know. We recently lost someone who everyone loved due to suicide, no one would of ever expected it from him, there were no signs. But one day his wife served him with divorce papers and he got drunk and ended it all in his bathroom. Most people don't even know exactly how he died. He was one of the nicest people around. My kids have had lots of thier friends to do this and I still have a hard time handling it. How young kids, teens and early 20's think things are that bad. God Bless all of those who battle any type of disease.

It is so sad but you know that Lauren McCall also died. I think it was old age, she also was a fantastic actress. Maybe a different kind but still just as valuable as all of the others who entertain us.
    Judy

He was such a great comedic talent. It's too sad that he suffered from mental issues. It goes to show that sometimes a person you think is the happiest indivdual, is really suffering from sadness. He will be greatly missed.

And now...Lauren Bacall died.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

So sad, I wonder if he knew how many people loved him? One of my favorites, especially loved him and thought he deserved an oscar for "Fisher King". My favorite comedic role was "Mrs. Doubtfire".

So sad indeed. My brother-in-law died by suicide also, after many years of depression. No matter how much love and support he had it reached a point where he just could not face another day. Praying for the family.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast