Robot vacuum opinions

Old 12-12-2018, 12:01 PM

I love my Roomba. I've had two in the past 12 years.
Its awesome on wood floors and with pets.
We have had 2 St Bernards and 1 lab/beagle mix and it is invaluable in the way it cleans my floors while I'm at work.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the cat entertainment. I love watching those goofy guys ride the robots! I just got one and I like it a lot. Amazon has several brands and price points. They are returnable if it isn't for you but you do pay the return shipping. I got an inexpensive one (under $250). It does an excellent job in my sewing room with vinyl flooring. Haven't had the Bonnie Hunter problem with thread but I'm sure I don't sew nearly as much as she and I run it often. Between the cat (residual litter in paws being deposited daily) and thread I was sweeping every day before starting the sewing. Now I just turn on (no name yet) and let her run while I sew. Very nice.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:49 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

I've had a Roomba since the first generation came out. I on my third one (R2) but that's cause I wear them out. I have all tile floors and buy my door and area rugs with R2 friendliness in mind. I've never even thought of turning him loose in my studio. Way too many things too worry about. I've always told people that you have to consider it like a toddler and if you prepare your rooms accordingly it's smooth going. I actually had to catch and turn him over one time to spit out a quarter he swallowed. He had broken through his wall and was working around my slot machines so it was a given what was making the racket.
If you want instant gratification it will drive you silly, but if you want to be able to sew while you are doing "housework" it doesn't get any better.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
So, do I assume from all the comments above, that the Roomba is just for hardwood and linoleum floors and not carpeting? I thought that I wanted one, now I have to rethink this.
I have a Roomba 890 and use it for both carpet and hardwood floors. Love it! We can schedule ours on the Roomba app on my phone and run it every day.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
So, do I assume from all the comments above, that the Roomba is just for hardwood and linoleum floors and not carpeting? I thought that I wanted one, now I have to rethink this.
I have a Roomba 890 and use it for both carpet and hardwood floors. Love it! We can schedule ours on the Roomba app on my phone and run it every day.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:19 PM

Cari, that is priceless!
Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 AM

Default It Could Be Worse . . .

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
My son got a Roomba, which was great at picking up dog hair. However the Roomba got stuck on the dog. He was a Newfoundland, so he just carried it around with him until someone came home and cut it off.

I have a Neato, a different brand. I like it because it goes about the room in a more structured way, so it takes less time to finish, but it is very loud. And lately it seems to think that its trash bin isn't inserted, when it is. My poodle doesn't shed, so I haven't had to deal with dog hair. One of the things I really like about it is that it cleans under the beds, where it's hard to reach.
. . . and by "worse," read this: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/08/15/pooptastrophe-man-details-night-his-roomba-ran-over-dog-poop/88667704/[/URL]
Old 12-13-2018, 08:31 AM

I have had a Roomba and now have a Shark Ion Robot. I think the Shark is a better product, hands down. It is quieter, gentler and gets more fine dust and pet hair than the Roomba ever did. It has no problem going up onto my thick area rugs. Mine came with a roll of magnetic strip that you can layout ( and cut up) to keep it from going into areas you don't want it to. It is programmable and you can schedule and control it from your phone. The customer service people are really great.
Marilyn
Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 AM

I hv a IRobot Roomba and absolutely luv it...I hv a cat that sheds and it picks up everything....It does the whole house (7 rooms) & then goes back to its base....I can do other things while its cleaning...I hv all tile floors and they look shiny after theyre clean...Only thing is, because we're always dropping things on the floor, it hs to be cleaned after two floor cleanings....I sit it on my lap & use wipes...the parts are simple to remove....I pd abt 900 for it...
Old 12-13-2018, 02:01 PM

I LOVE my roomba. I have pain issues when pushing traditional vacuums. My little buddy, the roomba is a great help. It does a good job on carpet, wood, tile and linoleum. I use it in my sewing room too. I always remove any threads and hair that wrap around the brushes or wheels. This only takes a few minutes and is easy to do. My roombas have lasted many years. I believe that regular cleaning of the appliance keeps it in good shape.