Robot Vacuums

Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
LOL Sewnoma.....I can picture a cat sleeping on it and stepping on the buttons!
I always like the videos with a cat riding the Roomba.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:42 PM

My son and daughter-in-law gifted an iRobot to me for Christmas. I have a bad back and vacuuming is a real strain. This is, IMHO, the most useful appliance in the house after the refrigerator. I live in a 2400 sq ft rancher with carpet (living room, family room, bedrooms), vinyl (kitchen and laundry room), ceramic tile (bathrooms), and flagstone (foyer). Clive the cleaner (I've named him) roams all over the place for a couple of hours and I love it ! I did have to come up with a sneaky way to prevent him from getting trapped under the front edge of the dishwasher though.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by kaylfordsollimo View Post
My son and daughter-in-law gifted an iRobot to me for Christmas. I have a bad back and vacuuming is a real strain. This is, IMHO, the most useful appliance in the house after the refrigerator. I live in a 2400 sq ft rancher with carpet (living room, family room, bedrooms), vinyl (kitchen and laundry room), ceramic tile (bathrooms), and flagstone (foyer). Clive the cleaner (I've named him) roams all over the place for a couple of hours and I love it ! I did have to come up with a sneaky way to prevent him from getting trapped under the front edge of the dishwasher though.
I agree with what you've said--our, Thomas after the wayward Downton Abbey butler, gets stuck under the dishwasher too--so we just fold up the throw rug there.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

OMG, you guys are such enablers! Sammy, my Neato D5 arrived today and is busy vacuuming the upstairs for me. I think I'm in love........
Old 02-08-2017, 07:50 PM

How long do the batteries last? Someone said cost of battery on eBay was $25-$30. I'm interested if they last a long time. And how many batteries do they take?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:13 PM

my Roomba recharges on a docking station that is plugged into an electrical socket--don't think it has batteries.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:43 PM

They don't work well with area rugs.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
How long do the batteries last? Someone said cost of battery on eBay was $25-$30. I'm interested if they last a long time. And how many batteries do they take?
Battery type depends on which brand you go with. The older models use batteries that do not stay charged as long. The newer models (such as my Neato D5 and D3) use lithium ion batteries. These hold a charge much longer.

One thing I would mention to those consider the Neato D5 (the one I bought). I think you'd do better to buy the D3, which is $200 less. For about $65, you can buy the D5 replacement battery on Amazon and put it in the D3 and it will last like a D5. The D5 lithium ion battery is about twice the capacity of the one the D3 comes with. When you buy replacement filters, you can buy the upgraded filters that the D5 comes with and they too fit fine in the D3. It saves you over $100.

One thing I will mention is that the vacuum is noisier than I expected, especially on hardwood. It's not nearly as noisy on carpet. But I think it's just because any vacuum has to generate enough suction to pick up things. I mention this because I wouldn't like to listen to tv in a room where the vac is working, and my dh is afraid if I run it at night he will wake up and hear it (because he is very sensitive to unusual noises in the house). Also, a botvac doesn't completely eliminate the need to hand vacuum carpets. You still want to hand vacuum once in awhile to get enough suction to get more of the dust etc. out of carpeting. The botvac is enough for hard flooring, though.

Still and all, I love it. It does a good job, and it frees me up so I can be doing laundry or something else while it works. Also, it got into all the corners and under the bed where it is difficult for me to reach.

I do clear off the floor before I start it, moving cords out of the way and placing obstacles up on the countertop. But that is well worth it for the cleaning job it does. I'm hoping it will pick up a lot less each time I use it. This first go-through it is picking up a lot of dust bunnies, etc.

Edit: To answer your question, my dh looked it up and says the battery on our D5 can last 3 hours at a time on a full charge. I would expect the D3 battery lasts about an hour and a half. On the machine itself, it recommends changing the filter every 1 to 2 months, the brush every 6 months, and the lithium ion battery every 2 years or so.

Last edited by Prism99; 02-09-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 PM

All together it sounds a little pricey. I'll need to think on it more.