Rolling blackouts

Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 PM

Thankful we didn't have the brown out. I planned a quick dinner cooked in the microwave. We have salad and sandwich fixin's if it goes out a bit tomorrow. I think we would head out to the mall or local shops if our air goes off. Would just be too hot.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:06 AM

I turn my ac off at 7am every morning and I dont turn it back on till 1 pm...its getting harder and harder to wait til 1 pm. But with lots of water and a fan or to its do-able.
At this point I dont know if I should try and save my plants and keep watering them or if it would be cheaper to let them die and replant in the Spring.
Desparately seeking rain and cooler weather here.

I love Texas, but yesterday I thought of cooler climates...

Mikki
Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 AM

it will probably happen to most of us around here with the extreme temps and no rain in the near future!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by alikat110
Just received notification from our electric provider that they are starting rollong blackouts....... :( :(
most of TX, OK and KS are going to be doing this starting next week...the heat takes its toll on everything...
Does that mean that businesses' computers, equipment will be off for 15 - 45 minutes at various times during the day?

(I have a new avatar - this is one of my babies who looks out the window of my quilting room while I quilt)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 AM

Austin news said that some plants are down due to the high output. They had volunteer businesses shut down for a while yesterday. HEB was one to volunteer. Today we will probably have the rolling blackouts. Dread it.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 AM

Does that mean that businesses' computers, equipment will be off for 15 - 45 minutes at various times during the day?

Our building has a separate generator; if we have a blackout, that generator will kick in. At worst we have a 90-second dip in the lights.

PS - thank you for making me take a second look at our building's 'rules' for power outage.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Sure praying that you will some relief soon. Saw on TV this morning where your Gov. is requesting people to join him in a day of fasting and prayer.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Talking about the electricity reminds me to share this with you. We had a service call on our air conditioner today. Here are the tips we were given to help our AC unit. Turn it completely off at least 30 minutes once or better, twice, a day, so that it can completely cool the motor down. (We're doing this around 7:00AM and 11:00pm) Clean those filters every 2 weeks! With the drought here in Texas the air is so filled with dust that the filters clog up within 2 weeks and then the AC runs hotter. Wash your compressor frequently with the water hose - every few days - the dust in the air is that bad! We also live on a dirt road. We had to tell the man to start looking for a good buy on a new but scratched and dented unit since he said that was the best buy on a furnace/AC unit. He had just bought a unit for himself like that. The furnace goes into a closet, the compressor sits outside - why would we care if both were scratched or dented and the price reduced? It's the reduced price we care about.Just hope he finds a unit before this old one of ours finally dies. It's 17 years old.
Also get a programable therostat that turns temp up if your at work and lowers it an hour before you get home and ajusts temp of a nite to. Another thing thats hard on units is play therostat jockey and fiddling with the therostat during the day.
Be sure and check with electric companies when buying a new unit certian companies give rebates and there are some tax credits to
Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
Sure praying that you will some relief soon. Saw on TV this morning where your Gov. is requesting people to join him in a day of fasting and prayer.
Was that the Texas Gov.?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Banned

Yes, Gov. Perry is hosting a day of prayer tomorrow in Houston.