Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rug that needs repair - Do you know how? >

Rug that needs repair - Do you know how?

Rug that needs repair - Do you know how?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:32 AM

Very cool rug and well worth trying to repair.

I believe that it is made with a technique called shirren or shirret. I make standing wool rugs and when I use shirring techniques with a regular needle the thread disappears into the rug. The thread you show on the backside of the rug makes me think this rug was made with a Shirret needle -- a technique that I haven't mastered. The shirret needle is a modified crochet hook. Check out shirret.com. Loiuse McCrady who runs that company is passing on a tradition she learned from her mom. She may be able to help you identify the technique and give you repair suggestions.

Or you might try contacting Rose Ann Hunter at roseannhunter.com. She is very familar with the techniques used to make antique rugs and would probably be happy to look at your rug if her travels take her in to your area.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:55 PM

I just got directions for this rug from my mother who use to make them all the time!! I had been looking for a very long time for a pattern or directions for them and after a visit to my 94 year old mother this past week I have it! They are made from strips of wool cut on bias and weaved onto a special hook. The one on internet called shirred is a straight wavy looking hook where as the one my Mom used is completely different. If you would like copy of directions i would be more than happy to scan and send to you. She repaired hers she said all the time when My sister abused them!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:11 PM

OregonCaro

I'd love to see the directions too. Do you know where I could find a picture of the hook your mother used so that I can try to find one?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by OregonCaro
I just got directions for this rug from my mother who use to make them all the time!! I had been looking for a very long time for a pattern or directions for them and after a visit to my 94 year old mother this past week I have it! They are made from strips of wool cut on bias and weaved onto a special hook. The one on internet called shirred is a straight wavy looking hook where as the one my Mom used is completely different. If you would like copy of directions i would be more than happy to scan and send to you. She repaired hers she said all the time when My sister abused them!
I sent you a PM - but yes I would love to have the directions and some idea what the hook looks like.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:00 PM

I will scan directions and a picture is on the directions I think of the hook.