Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rules of the clothesline... >

Rules of the clothesline...

Rules of the clothesline...

Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 PM

I never minded hanging out clothes it was using the three wringer washers and hauling the hot water to wash stepdads rig clothes that always got to me youhad to time everything just right or start all over to get all the grease, oil and diesel out of the clothes.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM

thanks for the trip down memory lane.....I remember those rules. I also love the smell of sheets fresh off the line. Wish I had a place to put a line up, I'd still use it.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Dee

That sure brought back many memories. Thought my mom was the only one who did this routine. Glad for modern time dryers.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I am so glad to have a dryer! Although I like the smell of sheets dried on the line, I have learned to love the smell of convenience!!! ha ha ha :lol: :-D
Me Too!!! :lol:
Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 PM

oh what memories, grew up hanging laundry on clothes line, my mom didn't get a dryer till probably in the 70's, I left home after graduating in 1960. I have a pair of the pant stretchers hanging in my laundry room now. A Martha White bluing bottle and 2 sprinkler tops, one on an old Pepsi bottle, rub boards, and some lye soap. several wooden long clothes pins. Lots of memories. Luv the old stuff. we called it the clothesline pole.Oh and did those sheets smell wonderful....
Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 PM

I do remember them. When I lived in England, my now ex was in USAF and when I would bring in my clothes when dried, if weather was cool, there would be cold dust marks on them. Loved it in UK.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:57 AM

Living in Sr. housing, who would think of having a clothesline available? Well, we do. It took a lot of urging with management, but we got it. Gets used a lot when weather permits. Consider the fact that all of us here grew up when dryers were unheard of. Oh, yes, the smell of line dried sheets---um-m-m.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
I remember clotheslines but had no idea there were rules. :shock: :shock:

Do you remember clotheslines?

You have to be a certain age to appreciate this. I can still hear my mother now ...

THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES: (if you don't know what clotheslines are, better skip this)

1. You had to wash the clothes line before hanging any clothes (walk the entire lengths of each line with a damp cloth around the lines).

2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.

3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail!. What would the neighbors think?

4. Wash day on a Monday! . .. . Never hang clothes on the weekend, or Sunday, for Heaven's sake!

5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your "unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!)

6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather ... Clothes would "freeze-dry. "

7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky!"

8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.

9. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.

10. IRONED?! Well, that's a whole other subject!
Oh, how well I remember clothes lines!! I didn't realize there were "rules" but I seem to have done pretty well. All except the folding. I did that later. And for lack of space, I had to hang in multiples. I had two in diapers (no Pampers!). So washcloths, diapers, and underwear were hung two at a time.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by jemma
what was the length of wood with a notch used to raise and tighten the line----our first line went from our house eves to a branch on our red river gum tree--40 years ago that branch is now 2 meters higher than the house
They were called clothes props, at least around here!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by slk350
I remember my mom with her first washing machine, an old wringer type.She would wash the clothes, hang them on the clothes line to dry...take them in (sometimes frozen), sprinkle them with water, roll them in bath towels, put them in the refrig for a day or so, then take them out and iron them !!! CRAZY ??? I never understand it.
No, it wasn't crazy! It was exactly the perfect way to do it! The reason she sprinkled them with water was to "dampen" then for ironing (there was no sense in ironing dry clothes - you'd just iron the wrinkles in), they were rolled and left to sit so the water would naturally distribute throughout the shirt or pillowcase or whatever so that it was evenly damp and would iron out well. We always rolled them, but never used the bath towels. We never refrigerated them either, but that was because our "schedule" was probably different from your mom's. She refrigerated them so they didn't get moldy sitting around for a couple days before she was ready to iron. We washed on Monday and ironed on Tuesday. So we dampened them early on Tuesday morning, layered them in a laundry basket, covered them with a cloth or towel and a few hours later they were ready. Dampening was REALLY important if an item was starched - you could NEVER iron it correctly if it wasn't dampened first.

See, there WAS a method to our madness!

I guess steam irons now take the place of dampening, but IMO it doesn't do the job as well as the old fashioned way.