Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rules of the clothesline... >

Rules of the clothesline...

Rules of the clothesline...

Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 PM

I want to tell all the newbies on this site about buying cheap blades.I bought carpet cutting blades for my rotary cutter at Harbor Freight for $1.49 for a pair.Most hardware stores carry these round blades. They will fit your medium size blades.They do not carry smaller blades. Sure is a savings.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:11 PM

I used to hang gauze diapers on the line. I loved to see them flapping in the breeze. We had metal T-shaped clothes line poles that had 4 lines. When the drooped we tightened them with a wrench. The only problem was that wasps would make nests in the open ends of the poles. We can't have one now because of HOA rules. I'm tempted to anyway because we back up to a protected woodland preserve and it wouldn't be seen from the street.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by diane Sneed
I want to tell all the newbies on this site about buying cheap blades.I bought carpet cutting blades for my rotary cutter at Harbor Freight for $1.49 for a pair.Most hardware stores carry these round blades. They will fit your medium size blades.They do not carry smaller blades. Sure is a savings.
We all know about the Harbor Freight blades.

I am the one who got all the ladies here into a frenzy and are now stalking Harbor Freight's nationwide.......LOL

I never thought to check the local hardware store. I will have to remember that in about 2 yrs when my supply starts to run low.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by colwoods
I used to hang gauze diapers on the line. I loved to see them flapping in the breeze. We had metal T-shaped clothes line poles that had 4 lines. When the drooped we tightened them with a wrench. The only problem was that wasps would make nests in the open ends of the poles. We can't have one now because of HOA rules. I'm tempted to anyway because we back up to a protected woodland preserve and it wouldn't be seen from the street.
In Bend Oregon there is a well to do community up on a place called Awbrey Butte. It suppose to hale itself as a "green community" and they forbid outdoor clotheslines. One lady up there was fined for hanging clothes outdoors. She said she was tired of hanging stuff in the garage cause her clothes would smell like her lawnmower.
Now this so called "green community" is made up of houses at least 3,000 sq. ft. Now, think about the energy it takes to heat and cool those places. Doesn't sound to green to me.

The above mentioned lady since has sold her house and moved to a more clothesline friendly neighborhood.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:43 PM

I remember clotheslines and the rules very well. We lived in San Francisco in a 3rd floor walk-up. The 3 clothes lines were on the pulleys that extended over the back yard. I'll never forget the sinking feeling when the line got jammed and my favorite dress plus the rest of the load was stuck. There was no way to reach them. It took my DH, me and a lot of prayer about an hour to get them unstuck.
I love my dryer and my one story house!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Talking of clothesline, I remember the bags with different patterns to hide the clothespins, running to help a neighbour to take clothes off the line when a sudden rain shower would hit and be rewarded with a nickel. Do you carry the tradition to hang a rosary on the clothesline to have sunshine on your wedding day
Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM

I remember those rules. Taught to me by my dear grandmother - and in Spanish! God bless her.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 PM

Good memories. The clothes smelled so fresh and not like added softner from the dryer. Yes, my mom had those same ideas. Not sure she called them rules, but we did it her way. I have been wanting a clothes line. They are good for so many things even if you don't use them on a regualr basis. Sheets are so clean and crisp. Makes for a good nights sleep.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:18 PM

I still hang my clothes outside on the clothes line. It gives me exercise and I enjoy doing it. I even hang on lines in basement in the winter. I do own a dryer but it keeps the utility bills lower.My clothes smell so great all the time.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
Do you remember the metal stretchers that were inserted into the legs of Daddy's khaki work pants so they wouldn't have to be ironed? I hated those things with a passion...
I sold my Nana's pants stretchers to an antique dealer a couple of years ago...I think she gave me $10 for them. They had been hanging on the basement wall by the furnace for decades.