Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rules of the clothesline... >

Rules of the clothesline...

Rules of the clothesline...

Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM

OH MY GOSH!!! I didn't know those were official rules...I thought my mother was just being annal!!!!!!! You sure brought back memories....and I'm refusing to think of the ironing part. :)
Old 09-14-2010, 04:09 AM

I love to line dry, and have for years. I have two nice big drying racks for winter, too, because I don't feel like handing the electric co all my money! We always hang panties etc on the side that faces the garage, because the kids don't think it's proper for others to see their privates. I used to hang my two oldest kids cloth diapers outside in winter(we were poor as churchmice) and bring them in frozen solid, lean them against the wall, and in the morning they had melted into a pile on the floor. Smelled good!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 AM

Speaking of clotheslines... Kathy at my LQS gave me some good advice about hanging my quilt to air (in the shade of course, she told me to buy a few of those pool-noodles, cut about 1/4 of the way through & place them on the clotheslines then drape my quilt over them. This prevents pressure lines on the quilt. I've done this a couple of times & they work great.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:24 AM
Banned

I remember the clothesline very well. Ours went from the corner of the back porch (about the height of a second floor of a house) to a tree at the end of the yard. It was on a pully mechanism. We also had a clothes pole to help hold the clothes up when we got the real heavy towels and such on them.

When my sister was little (before I was born) my parents lived in a town and my sister liked to wander away from home and down the street. My parents attached her to a leash and attached the leash to the clothes line! It was the stationary square clothes line type (I think). BUT Sis was able to wander and play in the yard, but could not wander down the street!

I wish I had a clothes line now! Miss those days.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 AM

Location: Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

It is called a clothes prop. At least that is what it is called in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. When I moved to Texas I left mine behind and so wish I could find some to purchase in Houston Texas. With our humidity I have 2 lines in the garage to use when it will not do to hang outside and I use my dryer very little. One note, my garage if finished with a tile floor ,is heated and air conditioned, and is the most wonderful sewing room ever.
Donna
Old 09-14-2010, 05:40 AM

love this post...................i love to hang clothes....got my first dryer when ex hubby helped me hand clothes out...they were freezing befor e u could hang...ha........love to see sheets blowing in wind.............good memories
Old 09-14-2010, 05:47 AM

Oh I love all this clothesline talk! How I loved the smell of freshly hung laundry and especially the towels and sheets!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:59 AM

Lordy, I never thought there were rules, but this IS the way mama had us hang the laundry!

I'm so thankful to have a dryer inside the house and no line, but hubby wants one now to cut down on the $300.00 monthly electric bill.

Oh well, the more things change the more they stay the same.

Roxanne
Old 09-14-2010, 06:05 AM

I still have a clothes line use it all the time the only time I use my dryer is when it rains.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 AM

When I was little, we had a washer but no dryer, so my grandmother hung clothes out on a line strung between our back porch and the storage shed. The line was on a pulley system so she could stand on the back porch and hang or retrieve the wash. It was pretty neat, now that I think about it. :) Once we got an electric dryer, she fell in love with it and only used the line to hang "delicates". She enjoyed those modern conveniences, in her youth she had to wash clothes in the creek!