Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rules of the clothesline... >

Rules of the clothesline...

Rules of the clothesline...

Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 AM

This was certainly a walk down memory lane.Pleasant, tho sad, because they are all gone, I was the baby and now I am the matriarch of the family. I carried the clothes pin bag, made by my grandma on the same treadle that I sew on today. As I grew, I was the one who placed the poles and pushed them up as high as I could. We had an old beer bottle with a silver thing on top with lots of holes. You would fill the bottle with warm water push the cork part down in and sprinkle the clothes as grandma rolled them tightly and put them down in a wooden basket that had a fitted lining. When full she would put several towels "to keep the moisture in". Happy times but sad also.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 AM

I developed a nasty allergy to tree pollen, especially pine pollen. So I don't hang clothes outside anymore. I wish I could I loved the smell of freshly laundered sheets hung outdoors.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:58 AM

I still use my clothesline. Esp. for hubbys everyday chore clothes.This really brings back memories for me as we didn't have a lot of money my Mom took in ironing.We would sprinkle shirts, tableclothes,sheets,etc., with the cork bottle "thing" roll them in a tight little ball till time to iron. Spent many afetnoons ironing watching Days of Our Lives and then at 3:30 the hi-lite of the day Major Astro.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 AM

I remember those! We bought some aluminum ones recently and of course they bent under the heavy load. Wasn't it called a clothes pole? at least in western PA :-)
Old 09-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

here in Colorado it's definitely true about wiping the clothes line off. i've never seen so much dust in my life!! i do have a dryer but use the clothes line once in awhile.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:34 AM

That's how I still do it, with the exception of the 'unmentionables' after loosing all the weight I have I want EVERYONE to see my undies! I didn't realize any one had written those things down, always thought it was common sense. Oh yeah,... there's a BIG difference between 'freeze dried' in Michigan, and 'freeze dried' in Colorado; in one you get more 'freeze' than dry! LOL
Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 AM

oh I remember these so well, LOL
Old 09-13-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Oh, those rules that my Mother made me follow. We lived in the city and our clothes lines went from our kitchen windows to a tall utility pole in the back yard. There were 3 apartments in the buildings on my block and you can imagine what the back yards looked line on Mondays. Believe me neighbors did check out your laundy, was it out on time, where the whites bright, do Mrs. So and So get a new blouse, no laundry out for Mrs. So an So was she sleeping all day again?

When I married and had my own apartment I broke most of those rules. I washed and hung my clothes out whenever I had the time, sometimes late a night. Had 2 kids in diapers so diapers went on the line no matter how cold it was. First they froze, then the main part dried so I brought them indoors to finish drying on the steam radiator. They were a little stiff but there were no pampers in those days.

I've had an indoor and outdoor dryer since I moved to Jersey 50 years ago. Over the years as the family got smaller I've used the outside one less and less. Mostly for jeans and knits, usually hung inside out so they didn't fade as I tended to leave them out there for a day or so. Haven't used the outdoor one at all the past year as I have a knee problem. Can't leave everything in the indoor dryer for a day or so, although undies and towels can hang out in there until I have time to fold them. May in Jersey

May, your memories are much more like mine. I grew up in New Rochelle, NY and we lived on the 2nd floor of a 3 family house. Our clothesline ran from my brother's bedroom window which was at the back of the house to a very tall oak tree that bordered on the neighbor's property line about a hundred feet away from our house. The line was attached to pulleys on each end so we had to hang out the window to reach the line and reel the clothes in and out as we pinned or unpinned them. I can't imagine how my Mom ever trusted that we wouldn't fall out the window! I hated having to wrestle the frozen pants in and out of the small window, especially if they had those metal stretchers in them and I also hated it when I dropped a piece of clothing out the window and would have to go all the way downstairs and around to the back driveway to retrieve it. I also remember that my Mom rolled up my Dad's cotton shirts while wet and put them in the refrigerator. I think the theory was that it would give the fibers a chance to relax, the starch could penetrate more evenly and Mom could get all of her housework done and dinner prepared during the day so that she could stay up until the wee hours ironing (even Dad's underwear) and watching the Late, Late Show or Million Dollar Movie :)
Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 AM

We dried the frozen clothes on a line in the living room around
the wood stove. Oh, my!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:02 AM

WOW, I never realized that so many of us would comment on these "rules".
These were sent to me by a good friend and I do remember having to wipe the clothesline down before Mom hung anything on it. I can still see her with a pin or two in her mouth as she hooked the next pin on, her hair up in a kerchief with the knot up in front. Cats eye shapped horn rimmed glasses so you know these were the sixties.
I can hear the whip of the sheets in the wind also. :cry:
Funny how I never realized how much I would miss those times. I'm glad you all have enjoyed them.
Faith :lol:

:XD: