Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
S.A.D.D. or heading into holiday blues >

S.A.D.D. or heading into holiday blues

S.A.D.D. or heading into holiday blues

Old 12-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Power Poster

Well, it's summer here so SADD is not my problem, but I too have the same feeling. Not depressed but really finding it hard to get on with things. I have been saying "Just do it" as my mantra for today, and so far have finished grouting my mosaic patio bench, stained the legs of my coffee table (which I ambitiously took to pieces two weeks ago to sand and re-finish....no joke, it was seriously decrepit). I have a small rag quilt to finish cutting and piecing, (then I will be able to see the top of the dining room table) two bags to make for Christmas presents and also gift shopping for my husband and my youngest son......I have decided to keep up the mantra and just break everything up into segments.....wish me luck everyone So you are not alone.....and do get your vitamin D levels checked, my sister is D deficient, so even in sunny Australia, work and other commitments can easily have you missing out on this important element. Hang in there and baby steps will have you back on track.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:12 AM

Find one of the special lamps that's made especially for your condition. It only takes 10-20 minutes in front of the special lamp each day to help make the despression go away. My sister has the same disorder. I just saw that lamp advertised in the "Home Trends" catalog, if I recall directly. It's supposed to really help. It can't hurt - give it a try!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 AM

I have suffered with depression since having my thyroid removed years ago. Holidays are hard on some people and depression doesn't help. My suggestions is to light a candle or two or three(you get the idea), add some music you enjoy, maybe a little chocolate (okay, any excuse for chocolate) and lots of light will many times get me in the mood to do something even if I just sit at the machine of choice and sew on a scrap of fabric. Another depression buster is to visit your nearest fabric/quilt store and see all the beautiful spring fabrics just calling your name and something new (table runner, quilt, wallhanging, mug rug?) for when the daffodils start peeking through the snow. (Okay again, that fabric is calling my name but you know what I mean). Do Not stay away from the people who care about you, now is the time to call a friend over for friendship, encouragement, food (my preference--oh well you know my preference already) and maybe do something together to get you in the mood. Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 AM

I have a lightbox. It works. Honestly. I'm a retired social worker, and I worked in mental health for years. The research about this being done by a psychiatrist in Seattle makes a lot of sense. I sit in front of it in the morning for half an hour while I read my email or do my needlework.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

There is a light out there you can buy ! I found it at McGuckins Hardware in Boulder one year.. Shoulda bought it but thought 200.00 for a light was ridiculous. But now after finding out the DH is diagnosed with that-shoulda coulda woulda !! Oh well .. maybe next time !
Old 12-02-2011, 06:48 AM

I've been in a bad slump for several months now. Walk into my sewing room (which I love) and look around, sometimes sit in the sewing chair, stare at my machines, and undone projects. A quilt for my ex DIL, some placemats, when I worked on them they all turned out different sizes, and had trouble doing them! Yesterday I decided I was going to FINISH something, and pulled out a UFO, and worked on it for several hours, then I actually COOKED dinner for my family...and planned a meal for today... I am determined to WORK my way out of this and get back to my projects! Good luck to you too, and all my sympathies to fellow quilters who are currently "slumping"
Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I hear you. I have seasonal depression. Definitely related to the amount of sunlight. Fortunately the weather has been cooperative. I'll be reading this thread also. I also take vit. D and try to push myself to keep going especially with some excercise. Right now I am quilting, driven on by Christmas. Everthing takes me a lot longer to do though and sometimes nothing happens but turning on the sewing machine and plugging in the iron for the evening. Strange don't you think? But I am trying. I am also counting down to spring.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 12-02-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 AM

You can start small also. Like one block. Or one strip.
I have been working on a quilt for my DSIL. I am now to the point, only borders left.
Been four days just starimg at it. Today I am cutting the strips for the borders.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:12 AM

I already posted once but I live in KC area our weatherman committed suicide this week due to depression so sad. Now I find myself obsessed with every bit of news I can get about him and his depression, I am visiting in DesMoines at my daughters so have been streaming the KC newas to my computer. I have to get over this obsession it is affecting me a lot I had a brother in law that did the same little over a year ago I find this brings back so many memories and is only adding to my saddness. I am just startinf to get so overwhelmed with it all
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Here's a link to the other thread.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...d-t169952.html

My full spectrum Blue Max light from Full Spectrum Solutions is wonderful, but so is getting out every day in the fresh air - even if it's after dark. Thank goodness for my dogs. I really recommend having 'another heartbeat in the house'. Having a living being to care for gives me a reason to get up. My daughter who lost her husband two years ago finally got a kitten. That little furball really stirs up the stagnant chi in the corners!