saved by surge protector

Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Last monday [a week ago]..I had to leave town early for a doctors appointment about one hundred miles away...It was very cloudy and was not raining...The storm was coming from the west ,the direction we were heading..On the way ,it rained a little...but wasn't really bad..No lightening or thunder...
We had lunch after the appointment and came home..When I came into the kitchen, I noticed things from the window were now in the kitchen sink...Then tried to turn on TV and it wouldn't come on and neither would my computer...I called my neighbor and her cable was out too..I asked if we had a bad storm and she said that Lightening had struck something....
I went outside and looked around...Lightening had struck a tree next to the garage...We are down 2 tv's, one computer, modem, routers electrical outlets and wiring and cable...and a lot of other stuff...One of my sons sent me a computer to use until mine can be replaced...But, the surge protector that is on my machines saved them...The surge protector did its job, but it had to be replaced...The other brands of surge protectors did not do the job...So I would suggest that you get a Phillips surge protector for everything....If the Phillips failed it will pay replacement cost...
We are still getting receipts for the insurance company....
I got the computer going last thursday...But it has been a long week...
Old 03-22-2011, 02:52 PM

Wow so sorry you had to go through this thank you for the information on the Phillips I have a couple of them. Hope you get your replacements quickly!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:37 PM

What a mess. Hope everything is back to normal soon.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

That is horrible. Thanks for the info about the surge protectors. I hope you get it all sorted out soon.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:46 PM

When we bought this house I had the electrian put in a serge protector in the fuse box, something I had read about, and he had to order, he had never heard of it. I also use protectors for all electronics.

Hope you get everything replaced soon.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 PM

A few years ago we had a bad house fire and lost everything. The investigator determined that the cause was a cheap surge protector. They said it had probably been smoldering in the floorboards for a few days before the fire started. We were told that the cheap ones are not that good and since then we have put the expensive kinds with the replacement guarantee on them. Feel so much safer now. Sorry to hear about your loss but thankfully the surge protector did its job and that no one was hurt.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:11 AM

So sorry to hear about his, glad you knew to go to insurance, I think a lot of folks don't realize it's covered.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:14 AM

I agree that it is worth every penny to have a surge protector that works.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

our 'toys' are all so very expensive. an good surge protector is so worth it!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by p38flygirl
...We are down 2 tv's, one computer, modem, routers electrical outlets and wiring and cable...and a lot of other stuff... … ..But, the surge protector that is on my machines saved them...The surge protector did its job, but it had to be replaced...The other brands of surge protectors did not do the job
None of those protectors did any protection. Each did what its manufacturer spec numbers said it would do: no protection from that type of surge.

Superior protection already exists in each appliance. Some appliances were overwhelmed. Others were not. Please learn first how surges do damage. And what protectors do.

Lightning energy was inside the house searching for earth ground. That energy selected which appliances to connect, destructively, to earth. If an appliance made a better connection to earth, then massive current flowed through it.

Please explain how that surge protector stopped what three miles of sky could not? It didn't. But that myth is widely believed. Promoted by those who assume rather than learn. Some ten cent protector parts inside a $3 power strip sells for $7 in a supermarket. Or a same circuit costs $25 or $70. Because it is more expensive, then it must be better? No. Because each does the same near zero protection, then similar products sells for $7 – or for $150 under the Monster label. The word scam applies.

A majority are educated only by advertising myths. "Surge protect*or* sounds like surge protect*ion*. So it must be same." Nonsense.

Well proven science: protection means energy is not inside a building. For over 100 years, protection from direct lightning strikes has been an earthed 'whole house' protector. Once energy is inside, then nothing - absolutely nothing - will stop hundreds of thousands of joules finding earth destructively via appliances. Informed consumers earth one 'whole house' protector so that energy does not go hunting.

A 'whole house' protector does not do protection. No protector does protection. An effective protector always - as in no exceptions - always makes a short connection to single point earth ground.

Energy from a direct lightning strike must dissipate somewhere. Always. Where does that energy get absorbed? Either harmlessly outside a building. Or destructively inside.

Lightning is typically 20,000 amps. A minimal 'whole house' protector starts at 50,000 amps. Earths direct lightning strikes and remain functional. But if a protector fails, then the most naïve will recommend it. Knowledge from observation is called junk science. Effective protection means nobody knew a surge existed. Even a protector is undamaged. But no damage means the most naïve cannot recommend what actually works. Another reason why so many waste money on plug-in protectors.

Solutions are provided by responsible companies include Siemens, ABB, Intermatic, Leviton, Square D, and General Electric. A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in both Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50. That is $50 to protect everything – including the dishwasher and furnace. Each has what must always exist for protection: a dedicated, separate, and short wire for earthing. This solution exists in every facility that can never suffer damage. A short connection to earth means less than 10 feet. Distance to earth is critical.

Your telco connects their computers to overhead wires all over town. Suffers maybe 100 surges with every thunderstorm. How often is your town without phone service four days after each thunderstorm? Telcos waste no money on plug-in protectors. Telcos use 'whole house' protectors connected as short as possible to earth. As was done 100 years ago. And what every homeowner needs if transistors exist.

An average home suffers one surge every seven years. Informed homeowners earth so that all appliances are protected. So that no energy is inside hunting destructively. The superior solution costs $1 per protected appliance. Based in 100 years of well proven science. Read spec numbers. How do those hundreds of joules in a power strip absorb surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules? They don’t have to. Their purpose is not protection. A $3 power strip with ten cent protector parts selling at $25 or $150. Profits. The superior solution costs about $1 per appliance.

Are you educated by advertising and hearsay? Or do you have what is used even in munitions dumps because surge damage must never happen. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Hundreds of thousands of joules must dissipate harmlessly. Protection is only and always about where energy dissipates. Consumers educated by advertising will never ask damning questions such as, "How does it stop what three miles of sky could not?" Informed consumers earth one ‘whole house’ protector so that energy is not inside the building.

This and other layman information (including what Franklin demonstrated in 1752) was provided in Surge Protectors on 14 Jan 2011 at:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89793-9.htm#2272712