Saving money tips?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Being too frugal is spirit sapping and so don't go overboard being too drastic about it. Taking away all familiar things from the family will make home life much more stressful.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 AM

Someone has asked how many I cook for. It's just my husband and me. I had thought about doing the cook ahead and freeze meals thing not only for saving money but for convenience and we can resist the urge to eat out so much that way. Had never heard of saran wrap to keep cold out but we may have to try that!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:45 AM

Congrats beckyboo. if you need tips for nursing school many folks on here seem to be nurses and could possible help with studying habits; how to make time for, different books to help-other than normal textbooks and many other ideas. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:20 AM

If you have purchased insurance for various things, buy it all from the same company, many will give you a 'multi line' discount. I know State Farm does.
Their computers must be set up to catch such things, we got 2 checks in the mail last week because when we added another insurance, 2 checks came in the mail because of this discount.

Best of luck in your future!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 AM

If you see a good sale stock up. I don't mean hundreds of one item, but recently the laundry soap I use was$2.99 at grocery store so I bought 3 because that will last long enough until the next sale. We buy whole chickens and crockpot it and shred it unseasoned and then use it for multiple meals. We also try to stay away from convience foods and cook from scratch
Old 10-31-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Disagree about conditioner on a regular basis without shampooing builds up on the hair. Conditioner on shampooed hair is different than on no-shampooed hair. In fact, if you shampoo and then put conditioner on your hair it feels after rinsing it off entirely different than if you don't use shampoo. Fine hair, after about five times of only conditioner (it takes that many times to repair the damage caused by the shampoo, which is very harsh and strips the hair) actually becomes less limp and static and is more volumous. Before conditioner was called conditioner it was shampoo. An ingredient was added to the shampoo(that we now call conditioner) for it to suds, which was a marketing gimmick. The side effect of the new sudsy hair cleaners was it dried out the hair too extensively, so the old shampoo was repackaged as conditioner. With shampoo, one lathers and swirls around to wash the hair. With conditioner, one needs to fingertip massage into the scalp (it does not leave the hair greasy). Then rub between thumb and fingers down the length of a clump of hair, section by section. Follow this with the 'strip', which is taking sections between thumb and fingers (pinchlike), only this time glide down the strand and send the stuff off the bottom. Sort of like a squeegee idea. This pulls the dirt, oil, and slime that has adhered to the conditioner completely out of the hair. It takes, initially, three or four times to transition from shampoo/conditioner to conditioner only because it takes time to fix the drying out effects of the shampoo. With shampoo and conditioner combo my head was a greaseball after a day and a half of washing. For the last four years of only conditioner washing, I can go three or even four days without rewashing.
I couldn't believe this but decided to try. My hair is baby fine and I've used conditioner the last three days and my hair is acting better than it ever has. No more shampoo for me. It's just so hard to get my mind wrapped around this idea but it works, it works.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 PM

Many great ideas here! A few things I would add. Unit price is absolutely key. I generally by large packs of toilet paper -at least 12 rolls, on sale, and when it starts getting down to 6 or less watch for the next sale. I compare the total package sq feet. Some roll have larger cardboard tubes so the package may look the same or bigger but have less sq. ft. And if I see a coupon for something I already buy or know I will be buying I will use it. Good caveat to not just clip and buy just because you have a coupon, and again compare the unit cost when using it, if it isn't something that has coupons frequetly it may be a better buy to use a coupon on a larger size that is less per unit or oz. that will last longer and you saved some $$. I recently stopped in a dollar type store-there seems to be dozens of names for them, so some may be better deals than others, but the one I was in was no bargin. So keep your frugal wits about you.
Also with text books, if you know what text books you will need and if there is a current class using the one you will need try to go to the room the class meets in on the last day /final test day and ask students as they come out of class if they will sell their books to you. It will be cheaper than the used ones at the book store as students turning their books in get minimal amount for them and the bookstore will mark them up to at least 1/2 the cost of a new one. So students could sell them directly to you for more than they would get and for less than the used price at the bookstore. Another thing to keep in mind-if there is new edition check out what differences there are from the "new" edition and the previous one-sometimes it is as small as a few different pictures etc. so if the difference won't affect your use, get a deal on the previous edition.

Congrats on your program and good luck!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 PM

Also keep in mind what your priorities are. If between work, class, studying and things you have to do around the house, like cooking and laundry you don't have time check out coupons, let them go rather than miss something more important.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by kariboo View Post
Cut your dryer sheets in 1/2.
Use only half the amount of laundry soap it recommends. they tell you to use more, so you'll spend more.
Forget the dryer sheets. Wet a washcloth with white vinegar and put it in the dryer with your clothes.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 AM

I buy just plain beans in the bags, soak them overnight, in the morning rinse the beans, then saute a couple cloves of garlic and onion in a table spoon of oil, then add whatever you have left over in the fridge, kale is fantastic, celery, carrots, bell peppers, any vegetable or not. I also make corn bread from scratch it's cheap. Eat at home, I always buy the store brands. Find cheap recreation, like going to the park or hiking. Keep unnecessary lights turned off in the house, use cold water when washing clothes, then put the clothes in the dryer for 10 minutes and hang them on hangers to dry. (use appliances after 6pm and weekends)