Scam!!!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:07 AM

Default Scam!!!

SCAM! PLEASE WARN ALL THE OLDER PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE CALLING OLDER PEOPLE CLAIMING THAT THEIR GRANDSON/GRANDDAUGHTER HAVE BEEN IN AN ACCIDENT AND NEED IMMIDIATE MONEY TRANSFERS. THEY EVEN PUT SOMEONE ON THE PHONE TO PRETEND TO BE THE GRANDSON/GRANDDAUGHTER. THIS IS A SCAM! PLEASE WARN ALL OF YOUR LOVE ONES AND SPREAD THE WORD IT COULD SAVE A LOT OF HEARTACHE AND MONEY. THANK YOU.

My in-laws fell victim to this yesterday. I thought I should share with my quilting family. I would hate for it to happen to any of you or your families
Sharon (MrsM)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:08 AM

thanks for the warning...
Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 AM

please spread the word that ANY transaction involving a money wire transfer is probably a scam - you might as well stand on a high bridge and throw the money off. There is NO way of tracing the money to see who got it, or getting it back.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Goodness. How can anyone need money if they are in an accident? Either they get sent to the hospital or call a ride to go home and then worry about funds to take care of the matter and then they would call family themselves. Really strange someone actually sends money.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 AM

it's a shame...and the holidays are the worst time for scammers to come out and victimize. A friend of mine got a call from "law enforcement" or so he thought...and they asked for his ss# because they needed to verify some fraudulent activity on his credit cards....well, he was gave them his ss# and the next day, his credit accounts were hacked. He's kicking himself now, but at the time, he really thought it was the law trying to solve a crime. Be SAFE.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Goodness. How can anyone need money if they are in an accident? Either they get sent to the hospital or call a ride to go home and then worry about funds to take care of the matter and then they would call family themselves. Really strange someone actually sends money.
a lot of times with this scam, the "pretend" GKs say they are in trouble with the law, somewhere far away, and "Please don't tell my parents, they'll kill me!!" Just send money, Grandma.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

sad. sick and scary...do be careful everyone
Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM

We have the same types of scam's here in Australia too. The best thing to do if ANYONE asks for any personal details is ask for the persons employer ID number and tell them that you will call them back on the phone numbers listed in the phone book, if it is a scam they will hang up quick smart.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:51 PM

Several months ago I had a call...answered Hello...male person on the line says " Hi Grandma" I said who is this...I can't remember for sure now I think he said Michael.....well I Don't have a grandson Michael so I said Michael who? My grandsons range in age from 6 to 13 and the Michael on the line voice was certainly older. When I said Michael who the line went dead.

Could have been a wrong number but I really think it was one of those scams....to bad he didn't stay on the line I would have loved to play his game.

You just have to be alert and on yours toes at all times.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 PM

My father was scammed in a similar incident...someone called and said it was their grandson, and that he had caught an illegal fish in Canada, and that he was in big trouble, and needed $3000.00 or he would go to jail. My father sent the $, never calling me to see if my son really was in Canada. That was about 5-6 years ago...probably at the beginning of my dad's Alzheimer's...I don't think he really was aware of what was happening. Sad that people prey on the elderly with these types of phone calls.
The only positive thing was knowing that my dad would do something like that for my son...help him out....but sure wish he had checked it out with me first. When he called me the next day to see if my son had made it home from Canada, I had a real hard time convincing him that he had never been there, that he had been working all day here where we live.