scissors & rotor cutter

Old 11-28-2018, 04:02 AM

Default scissors & rotor cutter

how do you sharpen your scissors & rotor cutter? I bought one of those inexpensive sharpener things and doesn't work for me, I do have a whetstone,

I have tried aluminum foil and sandpaper. the whetstone does well for sharpening my "tools" but my concern is of wearing down the scissors, and as for the rotor cutter, do we just throw them away & get new ones? your suggestions helpful. thanks
Old 11-28-2018, 04:45 AM

Our town has a flea market every Tuesday and there is an Amish man who has the set up there to sharpen scissors, you might check around to see if anyone in your area does this or check with LQS to see if they can recommend someone. As far as rotor blades I bought one of those sharpeners...don't waste your money.. I just get a new one and put the old one in a large medicine bottle and throw away.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

For scissors and rotary cutting blades, I buy new when needed.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:31 AM

I believe Joanns has a day when someone comes into the store to sharpen scissors. Rotary cutter blades....just buy a new one.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:06 AM
DJ

I have a friend who swears by her rotary blade sharpener, but it doesn't work well for me. I think the trick is to sharpen OFTEN, don't wait for a nick. I wait too long and need to put in a new blade which then cuts like butter. I also think that she isn't as sensitive to how well it's cutting.

For scissors, I do take my fabric scissors in to JoAnns occasionally to have them sharpened. I bought the Fiscars scissor sharpener that I use on other household scissors, and it sharpens them up so that I can actually cut fabric quite well with them. I still don't use it on my sewing scissors (Gingher), but I think I probably could if I couldn't afford to have them professionally sharpened. That said, the scissor sharpening person only charges $3/pr.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:23 AM

I just bought a Martelli rotary cutter and blades. I’ve heard they stay sharp longer. When I change blades, I wrap the old one with blue tape before I throw it away so it doesn’t cut anyone.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:25 AM

I used Gingher shears and scissors and have never had to have them sharpened. Rotary blades I buy in bulk and just toss them out.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

I have a thing to sharpen my Fiskar scissors. It works very well.

Rotary blades, I just put in a container marked old blades and use to trim around the excess fabrics before I sew the binding on. When they get too dull for that I put in old medicine bottle and toss in trash.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:21 PM

I have 9" Gingher scissors that have only needed to be sharpened once since I bought them about 5 or 6 years ago. My sewing machine repairman did it.

For rotary blades, I replace when they frustrate me with skipping.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:27 AM

I have Gingher scissors and only have Gingher sharpen them. I have heard horror stories about them being ruined by others. Rotary blades I simply replace. I bought a sharpener which was pricy and would have been worth it if it worked. I was disappointed and would say to anyone asking to save your money for fabric!