Scorpions!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Lyn

My grandparents lived in Corpus. I saw waterbugs there but none the size in Tucson. In Dallas as a kid I used to walk barefoot. Got stung by scorpions all the time (you'd think in the summer I'd wear shoes?)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 PM

We just moved to the Texas Hill Country from East Texas. Had a new home built and yes we have had some scorpions---I HATE them!!! Scared to death of getting stung---I've had 2 heart stints and am just afraid! I did go online and saw where Diatomeacious Earth was recommended. It is a powder you can buy at a feed store. Sprinkle it around the outside perimeter of your house. It is supposed to kill them by getting inside their shells. Not sure how fast it works and how often to apply. Hubby wears goggles and a mask. It's like silica. Kills several things. Has anyone else tried this?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:39 PM

I hate them too. They sting & it burns like hell. I found a tiny baby gecko in the house this morning & a little later something that looked like a centiped. Texas in the summertime.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
Seems like we have them more in the fall of the year. I figure they are looking for a warm place during winter. Yes, they hurt like a ....when they sting you. The worst thing I have ever found in my house though was a copperhead.
Hubby was in the hospital and I was home alone when we met up with one another. Needless to say, I left the house in a hurry. Luckily for me, my daughter and sil came by later during the day and dd found the snake. Sil got him out of the house and killed it for me. I slept much better knowing it was gone. The only thing that caused me concern was knowing they usually travel in pairs.......
Found one of them a couple of years ago. On brownish tan carpet. Was cleaning sewing room & moved a shoe & thought it was an earthworm that had came in somehow as it was raining. Started to pick up & realized what it was. I pushed down on shoe as hard as I could so it couldn't move & hollered for Ds who was outside in hot tub. He finally heard me hollering. He said what are we gonna do mom. I told him to grab the scissors & get the head & carry it out side. He did & cut head off. I don't know what I would have done if it had gotten loose in the house. Too much to hide under. I really hate snakes with a passion.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 PM

Diatomaceous earth cuts the exoskelaton of insects. There is no set time limit to effectiveness but it is non-toxic. It is used in pool aquarium filters, pool filtration systems, etc. Some garden centers will carry it for orgainic gardeners. I am not going to tell you it is going to cure all your insect problems but it won't hurt. Texas scorpions aren't really terrible unless you are allergic. The stings will hurt but aren't the horror story on the evening news either. If you are really worried, get a black light (UV light) to look into your shoes and tight areas. Scorpions will glow (no matter what color the scorpion is) which is kind of awesome when you think about it.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM

You're not kidding when you say scorpion stings hurt. Imagine a red hot poker stuck into you. I got nailed once and have never forgot the feeling.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Dee

That why I did not like Az. way to many bugs. Ones that can kill you.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 AM

My bug man told me that they can't kill scorpions. But they can kill what they feed off of to get rid of them. I hate them too and the centipedes.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Banned

I will stay in Oregon. God bless.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Power Poster

Oh I cann't imagine that. Yuck