Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Seen at my guild meeting yesteerday

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Seen at my guild meeting yesteerday

My president showed a darling apron she had made from a large kitchen towel/panel. The best part of it was the way the neckband and ties were made....in a casing so that they could be adjusted in length. A great idea!! I can never get an apron tied behind me because of limitations in my shoulder, but this one absolutely would work great!!

Wish I'd been able to get a picture, but here's what she did.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

This looks like one that my DH made when he took HomeEc in high school. We still have it because he was so proud of it.

Hope that you can get one made for you and that it works.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I worked for a catering company for years. All our aprons were that style.

I am busty and the casing also helped to cup the bib of the apron around the 'girls'.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

We made those at Janome club. Very easy to make and wear.

You did a fantastic job of explaining how the apron was made. Your drawing was very clear. Thank you for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Jan. That's an answer I was looking for, but didn't know the question! I made one of those for my SIL a while back...and saw her wearing it recently. She'd cut the twill tape around the neck because it was not right for her. So now I can make a new one that will 'work.' :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Great, Jan, thanx a bunch - am having stiff shoulder problem so tying an apron to the back has become difficult....am adding length to ties on some......but am going to try this design for replacement of "really old" ones....and now I know what to do with that whole giant roll of twill tape I
    recently discovered in my sewing cave...for what? Ah, now I know!

Blog Entries
    So happy to hear you made it to the guild meeting. How'd it feel with Lifetime Membership? I don't post often but so enjoy reading your updates. Almost feel like an old friend.

MSQC also has that pattern. I made several for my family. I made some and embroidered on them. Even the little one loved them.

Great apron pattern. Thx for sharing.

Very clever and easy to do. Great idea as a gift that does not need fitting to the individual.

Blog Entries
    I make these for xmas presents. i measure 4 in front top center on top on each side of center and 10 inches down each side fold on that line and leaving an inch and a half cut off the triangle...sew i/4 in to make casing about 3/4 inch wide for twill tape . i them take a piece wide as the apron for pocket on bottom and sew up center to make two pockets, friends love them. cmaras1234 Msqc has directions for using tea towels.0n u tube
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

For those who have trouble tying up an apron at the back why not use one strap that goes from one side of the apron to the other and secures with a strip of velcro.

I just made this pattern for my granddaughter but it could be drawn to a larger scale for an adult. Very easy, very quick and oh so easy to put over the head and secure.

http://sewliberated.typepad.com/sew_...tutorials.html

I do this when I buy towels when we travel. I don't even bother to bind the sides. I just do a rolled hem and sew on wide twill tape for ties. Towels get used by me as an apron far more than when just hanging as a decoration in the kitchen.

Blog Entries
    I bought an apron about 25 years ago which was made with that casing. An elderly lady in Illinois had made it. I thought it was ingenious and try to incorporate that with any apron I make.

Thank you for sharing. They look like they will make up pretty easy. I want to make some for gifts. I made an apron for my sister for Christmas but although it was cute, it was a bear to make. I paid $10.00 for the pattern & the instructions were the worst I have ever seen. Nothing made sense in the instructions. I just had to wing it & do it my way. I really appreciate you posting this for us.

Power Poster
    Looks like the one Jenny makes Missouri Star....