Selling on Consignment?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Default Selling on Consignment?

Have any of you sold any items on consignment?

If yes, how did it go?

Any suggestions - what went well? - what would you do differently?
Old 10-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I did a number of years ago, it was ( ok at best) the shop decided I had to add 40% to my prices for the consignment fee, then they actually took 40% from the total so, a $100 quilt plus 40% = $140, then after the sale they kept 40% of the 140, I received $84. It seems around here 40% is the norm, which really makes it difficult to charge what it’s worth. If it’s worth $300, that 40% is another $120, will a customer pay $420 instead of $300? Then you only get $252 of that.
i decided I was better off listing / selling on my own. Quiltsforsale charges $15% of your sale price I think. I’ve sold some on their site.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 AM

Consignment selling is not for me. I did try it, but it isn't worth the hassle in this area. You have to up your prices so much that people don't buy and then you lose money to the shop.

How great is QFS website for selling quilts? I have been to the site but would like some input from those who have sold quilts from there. Thanks for any info.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

I just donate, give my quilts away. Selling would be too much hazzle for me to deal with.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

How about other things - such as jewelry or sterling flatware?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:45 AM

I took several nice things, brand new and classic type. I was able to collect what didn't sell and only made $15.00 on what did sell. I think I could have made more at a Garage. The clothes that were returned looked worn..a brand new blouse came back lacking the crisp new look and with a yellow stain near the top, looked like food. I suspect the owner of the store borrows clothes for personal use. I won't be doing it again. I was fortunate to be able to collect what didn't sell, don't think all shops are willing to do that. I was just handed cash, no receipt showing which item sold or amount it sold for ...not enough transparency for me.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:49 AM

I sold some clothes back in the day on consignment and it went okay. True, you don't get as much as the item is worth but the store owner has all the overhead to pay and you don't have to do anything except show up with the items and then pick them up after so I consider it worth it.

I sold my old corvette wheels on consignment I was really impressed he got as much as he did for them. I was happy with what I got.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:53 PM

We used to have a consignment shop here. My mother sold some stuff there. For this shop, they started the items at certain prices then every so often (every couple weeks? Every month? I don't remember) there was an automatic 10% taken off the prices. She sold some stuff, but she had one really old creamer than somehow disappared. And unfortunately it was one of her more expensive items at $65.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:33 AM

We sold quilts on consignment for many years. Very unsatisfactory arrangement IMO although we sold many quilts. Finally quit doing it when one store owner "lost" a full size quilt and did not want to pay us for it . We had to threaten her with small claims court to get paid.

I have seen craft stores where every single item, down to a $.99 key ring, was on consignment. Makes you wonder about a business owner who won't invest ANYTHING in their inventory.

I have never used it for household items, since I do ebay, it is just as easy to sell on there and only pay their fee.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:44 AM

I wanted information about their selling my items and they told me I got 50% of what it sold for. In one month, it would be marked down and in 3 months, they gave it away. Not back to me, but given away. I did not do business with them after I heard how they sold things, eventually they went out of business. I have sold on CL, but things are cheap there, EBay is better.