Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Serger thread keeps breaking >
  • Serger thread keeps breaking

• Serger thread keeps breaking

Old 01-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Default Serger thread keeps breaking

I have an older singer serger 14u44b. I was sewing when my thread to the right needle got hung up and bent the needle. I replaced the needle, but it has never sewn correctly since. The stitching was really messed up, I have made adjustments and the stitching is better but now the right needle thread keeps breaking. Any ideas? Right now I can't afford a repair bill.
    Thanks Loretta
    Old 01-24-2015, 01:23 PM
    Power Poster

I have noticed serger threads quality is decreasing. I am thinking that the needle strike has knocked off the alignment but I don't know how you would fix that yourself.
    Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM
    Power Poster

Chances are the bent needle threw the timing out of whack. This is a job I would always leave to a tech professional, but there are people brave enough to work on timing themselves. I just did a quick Google search and came up with these online sources you may want to check out, but I can't vouch for any of them since I have never attempted to adjust timing myself:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT6kiYyG2bw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpVe0e009vE
    http://www.ehow.com/how_12183068_adj...ming-lock.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_10005713_fix...er-serger.html

There may be others too.

Before working on the timing, one thing I would suggest is being sure to clean all of your upper tension discs. If there is just a tiny shred of thread in one of those discs (especially the right needle thread disc), that can cause the thread breaking problem. To clean, loosen the tension all the way so the tension discs separate and then use ***unwaxed*** dental floss to floss the tension discs. Also check the bottom area -- with a light and a magnifying glass, if necessary -- for any tiny stray threads that may be caught in the mechanism. For a thread you can't get out entirely, oiling can help in terms of softening up the thread to eventually make it easier to remove.
    Old 01-24-2015, 04:22 PM

I would also look/feel for a 'nick' in the plate. The thread in that needle might be rubbing and the nick is cutting the thread.
    Old 01-25-2015, 05:24 AM

Make sure the needle is in the right way and your presser foot is up while threading, it makes a difference even with sergers. I have serger thread over 20 yrs old and it never breaks along with lots of new thread and never have a problem. Also, make sure there isn't thread or dust caught up in the thread guide where you are threading it thru, it could be causing the thread to break.
    Old 01-25-2015, 12:54 PM
    Power Poster

Check the thread path, too. When the thread broke, it may have gotten off the proper path