Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Severe Storms and Tornadoes are Here Tonite!! >

Severe Storms and Tornadoes are Here Tonite!!

Severe Storms and Tornadoes are Here Tonite!!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 AM

Hi Terri, So good to hear from you i have been worried i see your back in the states, You said you were comming into al. is
this where you will be stationed ? Have a safe trip. Let me know whats a happening Esther
Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Banned

I found out some really sad news today.

A lady that we know lived down the road from us in one of the hollers, her grand daughter and son were washed away by the flooding waters of the creek that you have to drive through to get to my land. She said her DIL watched in horror as her son was trying to rescue her GD and the waters swept them away. Their bodies were found yesterday a mile down the creek.

She works for the county and has been working on the grant for getting city water to our homes instead of us having wells that dry up every 5 or so years.

I think I am going to go to our property and see what I can do to help these folks.

Billy
Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 AM

I am so sad to hear that news, Billy. The weather can really mess up travel, and some just don't realize how powerful water can be. I am sorry you have that touching your life. Be careful travelling out there, road beds may shift as well.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Banned

My wife and I were talking about that, we do not know how we are going to get there yet. I have her on the phone right now calling the county and seeing what roads we can take to get to our place. WE might have to wait until this Friday before leaving according to what I am over hearing.

But I know that there was a lot of damage around that area in the low lying areas.

Billy
Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Billy I am so sorry to hear that. My prayers are with you and the lady that lost family. Whenever you do decide to go please be careful.
Carrie
Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 AM

The sad part about the floods here in Tennessee is that the National News Media put it on a back burner while they covered the oil spill and the would be bomber. I had friends contact me as late as Tuesday who had just heard about it. At least 19 died in Tennessee and some are still not accounted for. The economic impact of this on the State is devastating because it is not only Nashville it is widespread throughout.

A friend posted this on FB yesterday and I am passing it on:

"Non-Nashvillians: Please spread the word, in case everyone doesn't grasp the severity of what's going on in Nashville. Temporary shelters are at capacity, people are unaccounted for, many homes are under water, there is a water conservation emergency, much of Nashville's economic base is threatened by flood damage.You can text 'REDCROSS' to 90999 to donate $10 to disaster relief."
Old 05-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

It has been all over my news. I even saw the lady that Billy was talking about on the news yesterday. It took everything to keep from balling when I saw her.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Hi everyone...just saw this thread and wow, its nice to know you were thinking of me. We made it through just fine...scared, but fine. There was a tornado that hit about 3 miles from us in one direction and 1 lady was killed when her house exploded. There was another tornado that landed in the other direction about 6 miles from us...so we count ourselves as extremely lucky.

The devastation in those areas is amazing, scarey and devastating. Our state has many many areas of extreme damage. And to think, the tornado season is just getting started..... :cry: My heart goes out to anyone suffering damage/loss of any kind.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:14 AM

Today is National Prayer Day, and I will certainly be praying for everyone in harm's way of Mother Nature. So sorry to hear about your friends, Billy! And BTW, I love a good lightening show too (but not with a tornado).
Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Banned

I am fixing to head to Nashville in a few minutes to drop the pair of Deuce coupes off that I built for a customer. My upholstery guy is just outside of Nashville and he said that everything his way was great and no damage.

But I was looking at the paper and the county I live in and the one that my property is in were declared a disaster area and are going to get Federal Funding. But my wife is talking to my nephew and he said not to even try to come up there because of all of the water and washed out roads. So no chance of staying at my house up there.

But they are still finding bodies here in my area, and there are spots just as bad as the ones in Nashville.

Billy